Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Hot?... Me thinks maybe so

Boolit Bub

Too Hot?... Me thinks maybe so

Friend of a friend passed away couple years back. Freedom Arms 454 shooter. He recently found a couple boxes of reloads. Freedom Arms brass, 300gr cast rnfp gc bullets over 31.5grs H110 for 1780 fps. Sound kinda hot to me. Anyone have experience with this load ? Share...Thanks

Boolit Master
    Hodgdon lists 30.0 grains of H110 as max for a 300 grain FAJHP bullet; Lyman lists significantly less as max for a 300 grain JHP bullet. So yes, I would suggest that the ammo you have is loaded too hot for safety.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Maybe by a little just depends how deep he has it seated my example my bfr is a handfull with a lee .457-500 with 51 grns h322 but with a accurate molds 46-502p and 45grns h322 it just down right hurts and the recoil is dangerous same weight jus seated deeper
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

I'd pull 'em, drop the powder charge down to something a bit more pleasant to shoot
    and take some stress & strain off the weapon.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    handgun loads change alot based on how far down the crimp grove is and that varys alot on cast designs. from my experience with guns i have if you look at 44 mag data on hodgdon website 300gr jacketed max h110 load is 19gr and 325gr cast is 22gr and listed as lower pressure and higher speed. so it may be fine if its not a deep seated design.

You didn’t load them. Pull down time. Why take a chance with loads that are LABELED as over max!? I don’t trust other’s loads- too much gas in my eyes over the years when I did.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    You didn’t load them. Pull down time. Why take a chance with loads that are LABELED as over max!? I don’t trust other’s loads- too much gas in my eyes over the years when I did.
    this just pull them and move on why risk it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Bub
    Thanks to all. I'm sure my soon to be 75 yr old wrists and elbows would cuss me out good if I were to touch off one of these rounds. I'm gonna pull those rounds apart and reuse components for a more fun to shoot load. I can remember when recoil didn't bother me much. In fact my password on a couple of sites is "recoil4fun". No more. HA Thanks again for verifying my thoughts on these loads.

Banned
    NEVER shoot anyones reloads that you don't know and trust well.

Like previously said, it's just not worth the risk.

A neighbors father who was a reloader died and left him a bunch of reloaded ammo. A couple of shots sounded funny to him the first time out so he brought them over to me to check. I found compressed double charges and squibs (light and no powder). I ended up tearing ALL his dads reloads down, it's a good thing I did.

I'm with captn, I like accuracy at the lowest possible loads. saves powder, saves on your hand, and your guns

If yore not needing it to stop a mad moose or grizz in the back yard i could easily see not needing em at that point a .45 colt load would be enuf for most every thing else.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Depends on how much you trust your safety glasses, I guess. I don't think I trust mine near that much, and mine are real industrial safety glasses. I would absolutely follow your advise and pull them apart, and reload with a reasonable non-maximum load appropriate for the bullets. Or reload them with a bullet I liked better still at a non-max load. If nothing else, your hands will like you better. I used to be really insensitive to recoil. Liked really hot loads. I can't swear that I'm more sensitive these days, but I know that my arthritis is way more active than it was then, and I'm not loading for max anymore. I got out of shooting for other reasons for several decades, and just getting back in. I do not wish to risk making it not fun anymore. Blowing off parts of the hand or face doesn't sound like my kind of fun. I know you're not the original poster, just agreeing with you and explaining why.

Bill

Boolit Bub
    Gettin ready to pull some (100) bullets. Noticed they were crimped using the Redding profile crimp. Done it before. Very time consuming. Little bit tougher to pull than pulling bullets with the standard roll crimp. Oh well. Might as well start now. It's not like I have to be at work, school, church or protest any time soon. HA

Boolit Master

Good smart choice,good luck with pulling them
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    Hornady's 10th Edition lists 31.4 H110 and 32.3 W296 (supposedly same powdr - diff lots) under their 300gr Jacketed HP at 1.745" OAL in Horn cases and Fed 205s at 1,600 fps and 1,650 fps respectively from a 7 1/2" Freedom Arms revolver.

Speer's #14 lists 31.5 gr H110 and 31.0gr W296 under their 300gr GDHP, 1.750 OAL in Win cases and CCI400s for 1,630 fps and 1,587 fps respectively from a 7.5" FA revolver. THEY WARN AGAIN USING FREEDOM ARMS BRASS (F-A HEADSTAMP) with these GDHP loads.

I don't believe the OPs ammo as listed is over loaded when used in a FA revolver, HOWEVER I wouldn't be inclined to shoot someone else's reloads.

FWIW,

Paul
    Last edited by Paul105; 08-09-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Boolit Master

Un known reloads to me means Pull and dump the powder on the lawn.

I do not care how well the loader was.

Boolit Grand Master

Some tips on using the kinetic pullers. Have a solid base to use to drive it on, A med to large chunk of oak or hardwood fire wood cut to a length to make a comfortable height to drive works well and is easy on the puller. When it starts getting dished take the saw and cut 1/2" off. These wok good with what I call a limp wristed swing Let them hit and bounce back up. This bounce back will pull the bullets quick but takes some time to learn.

I use my puller sitting down and the "log is just above my knees gives an good swing the block has a lot of mass to resist the blow and is comfortable for me

Boolit Master
    Oops error
    Last edited by onelight; 08-10-2020 at 09:08 AM.

I just use a pair of pliers and my press to pull boolits alot quicker too

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    I just use a pair of pliers and my press to pull boolits alot quicker too
    Can't reuse the bullets that way can you?

If you use a pair with the round cutout you wil have minimal gouging

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast