Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Micro-Welding S&W Model 10 Frame

Boolit Mold

Micro-Welding S&W Model 10 Frame

My LGS ordered two of the J&G Sales Model 10 gunsmith specials. I intend to "build" a couple of carry weapons. I like the heavy barrels and I'll probably do one 4" and one 3". These guns are both in really great condition. Almost no evidence of firing, just being carried and one of them not much of that. Timed good, locks up tight. But no barrel.

These imports were all 2" snub noses in their former lives. I'd like to know why the barrels were pulled. I'd like to know where they all are.

Being snub noses the front face of the frame is scooped out or scalloped on top where the barrel rib is located. It is narrower than the ribs on the heavy barrels and will look odd when the heavy barrel is installed. I think the scallop could be filled with a very small micro-weld and dressed down to match the heavy barrel. Does anyone know of a 'smith who could do this work? Not Bowen or Clements or one of the biggies. But someone who can do a good job in a reasonable time and for a reasonable price. Has anyone had similar work done?

Boolit Buddy
    Restorative Welding

I was looking at the J&G sales e-mail just yesterday and considering a purchase. I looked at the Gun Parts Corp. website, and at this time barrels seem to be in stock. Probably not for long. They cost as much as the revolver does from J&G. I have one of these revolvers in unfired condition, but it's hard to get to right now to examine it. Based on your description, I think I'd contact Gun Parts or even S&W and discuss the problem as you perceive it to be. They may be able to provide you with a barrel that will fit your revolver exactly without any modification at all.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks. I've been watching Ebay for a couple of months and also https://usagunsandgear.com/ . I bought three model 10 4" barrels for an average of about $55.00 a piece including shipping. There's a guy on ebay that has five model 10 barrels for $80.00 or best offer. Goes by Curtsgunshop. I don't think they sold yet. It sure looks like a cheap way to get into a model 10.

Boolit Grand Master
    Does J&G still have those Model 10s in stock? Last time I looked there weren’t any listed any more.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    They do this morning.