Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: 7x58 Mauser ammo question

7x58 Mauser ammo question

If this is the wrong place for this question please delete

Finished a M95 Chilean Mauser project this spring and have the opportunity to take it out for black bear next month. Currently not set up to load the round, and I was looking for recommendations on a commercial round the isn't too hot for the action yet potent on black bears.
    Vermont...First Republic...Fourteenth State

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"....Sigmund Freud

Bureaucracy,, taking the fun out of life one stupid rule at a time,,,,

Boolit Master
    7x57? If you can find it Hornaday makes a good 139gr soft point ammo for meduim game, ppu also make soft point ammo for 7x57 mauser as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Grafs has federal in stock, both 140gr and 175gr

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...productId/3852

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The 7x57 Mauser cartridge was developed in 1892; there are so many old and obsolescent arme out there that the modern commercial cartridges you might find have been loaded down significantly and should be safe in your Chilean Mauser.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Banner Sponsor

Pics! We need pics of your project

Banned

7x57 is a low pressure cartridge. Go buy any factory and you will be fine. It is loaded down as others said.

Banner Sponsor

If you want higher pressure/ velocity factory loads, look at Norma

I think you will find that PPU, S&B, Norma and other Euro brands a bit stouter than Remington, Winchester, & Federal ammo. 7x57mm has been getting it done for 127 years so no worries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by greenmntranger View Post

Finished a M95 Chilean Mauser project this spring and have the opportunity to take it out for black bear next month. Currently not set up to load the round, and I was looking for recommendations on a commercial round the isn't too hot for the action yet potent on black bears.
    The Hornady Is good but either the Winchester or Remington 175 RN factory loads would be an excellent choice. Out of my M95 Chilean with barrel cut to 22" they run 2300+ fps at 50,000 psi +/- (measured) with very good accuracy. Federal factory 175 RN also is an excellent choice running 2400 fps at 55,000 psi.

Don't let those actual psi figures worry you. Older pressure figures (even if expressed as "psi") were based of C.U.P. method of measurement. That is different from transducer/strain gauge pressure measurement. I've tested quite a bit of milsurp 7x57 ammunition loaded, even some DWM 1918, for the SR Mauser actions and have found the pressure of the Chilean FMF milsurp ammunition runs 55,000 psi +/- as measured in my own Chilean M95.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

The 7x57 was very popular with some African plains hunters and is very under appreciated here in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmntranger View Post

If it's in good condition & the headspace is OK, ALL commercial 7x57 ammo is safe in your Mauser...……

Last edited by pietro; 08-13-2020 at 08:11 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I have (2) 7X57 rifles - a 77 ruger and an all original like new 1895 Mauser.
    None of the factory loads with light bullets or light bullet hand loads shot much better than 1.5". The Federal 175 grn RN factory loads and the Hornady 175grn RN and Herters 175 grn RN bullets were also very accurate but have been discontinued.
    The 175 grn Hornady spitzer also shot well but stay away from all those boat tailed bullets.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Those Mauser's were originally designed for a 175 gr RN and depending on the twist rate of your rifle the 175 gr RN might give you the best accuracy. And it is certainly potent enough for black bear.
    I have (3) 7x57's: a Ruger #1, a Mauser 1895, and a Remington Rolling Block #5.
    I have shot factory J's and reloads in the #5 without a problem. But I did replace the main spring on that action and the action itself is in excellent condition: no slop and no headspace problems. Usually though I shoot 175 gr RN cast in the #5.
    I am sure the factory ammo is loaded down due to the number of old 7x57's still out there.
    Last edited by atr; 08-15-2020 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

haven't taken any game with it yet but I've had really good accuracy with Sellier & Bellot's 173gr JSP. getting around an 1" at 100 out of a semi sporterized M48 scout rifle.