MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: 45 Colt fouling

45 Colt fouling

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200807_144504.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	265896

So this after 15 shots through my Winchester 1873 16 inch carbine chambered in 45 Colt.

Load was 40 grains Old E 2F black powder. 260 grain Accurate 454260 mold left as cast and run through a .459 lubrisizer using it to apply SPG in the big lube groove. Starline brass primed with Remington 2 1/2 large pistol primers. No separate compression just compressed with the boolit.

First time I shot some of these, I looked down the bore and swore I had mistaken some Unique loads ... so I loaded Nother 25 rounds here awhile back and today went and shot them.

First 10 just to see if they are as clean as I remembered them to be ... yepper ... so I shot the last 15 in slow fire motion and tried taking a picture as proof.

Not the best photo, but it shows the clean bore after 15 Old E powder in 2F size.

I am just stoked to say the least.

I have been happy with Old E also..!

I use Bees Wax Lube, and all in all, things seem cleaner than what I recall of 'Unique'.

Banned

That's how my Sharps rifles look using the "Holy Black " and SPG lube.

Man I can not say how many hundreds of rounds that I have fired and constantly fought the huge amounts of fouling and the resultant dismal accuracy in all my revolvers and rifles.

This is the HOLY GRAIL for me. I have never had such a clean barrel after shooting 15 ... er 25 rounds. Now I need to see how my Remington roller sporting rifle (original) does. Man if this keeps up I may need to restart my BP rifle tests as this is a total game changer.

Previously using plain old GOEX, the olny way to get this clean of a result, I had to do a duplex load with something like IMR 4227 in a 3 or 4 grain charge under my main BP charge. Still and all and even though the duplex loads were very clean, I do not remember seeing a shiny barrel after 4 or 6 rounds ... if memory serves ... it left a clean but gray metal behind with great accuracy ... but ... not the 100% BP loads like these are.

Maybe I am just late to premium powder and everybody is just settin there grinning at me ... well I am grinning too.

Boolit Buddy
    I got my start in BP cartridge back in the '80s and into the '90s. All that was available in my area (and most of the US) was GOEX. That was all I shot and I cleaned a lot, even during an event. Between stages I would run a wet brush down the barrels of my revolvers and my rifle. And this was using SPG lube.

Got away from BP for 25 years (life happens ya know) but took it up again in my dotage. I'm shooting Ol' E in my 45 Colt revolvers and I have to say clean up is much easier than I remember it. I haven't tried Swiss yet, which I'm told is superior to all of them. The Ol' E is working so well I can't see spending the extra money.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Never tried it but that is sure a good reason to!

Certainly could have knocked me over with a feather what with my findings ... and they repeat to be way clean.

My old GOEX loads cake up so badly that to get repeatable shots that would group ... I needed to run a 7 to 1 mix water to ballistol patch soaking wet up and down the bore followed with 3 clean dry patch's to get repeatable performance with it.

However early on I discovered the duplex loadings cleaned the bore very nicely and accuracy remained as long as the shot cadence was slow enough to not over heat the barrels. Duplex loads require me to shut out the world however so as to be completely safe when loading. They take an inordenant
    amount of concentration that is not fun to me after the initial fun of experimenting is complete.

This Old E powder is very impressive and Id bet that Swiss is rite there with it ... or maybe proper to say that Old E powder is comparable very favorably to Swiss powder.

Most of these companies use diffrent charcoal. Therefore you get diffrent results
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    What if you do both, that is continue using Old Eynsford and continue to duplex your handloads.
    Would there be further reduction of fouling it the barrel?
    Or just minor savings in the quantity of Old E used.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 08-16-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Spelling & grammar

My Schuetzen loads in a lot of calibers are almost as clean. A little fouling here and there. I have seen and had a similar experience with Old E though, and once I burn thru my last 8 or so pounds of Schuetzen I will make the switch. I bet it burns more "moist" than the others.