WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rusty Griswold skillet

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    ^^^^^^ Do NOT do this. Want to premanently ruin a nice old Griswold? This is how to ruin one. They can warp horribly, they take on a reddish color that can't be seasoned over, let alone they might crack. I am aware of this method, it is frowned on by all of the reputable collectors and cast iron societies. The etank and lye bath is MUCH better, much safer, and is equilaterally accepted as proper methods for cleaning and restoring cast iron cookware.
    I've cleaned over two hundred cast iron pans in an open fire and never
    had one crack or warp. When scrubbed and oiled they look like new.
    Everybody that I've given them to don't have any problems with them.
    If you just throw them in a fire and let them cook for hours you might
    have a problem. I fire them in the evening so I can see the color turn red
    it's time to remove them the fire or if a small fire just let it go out.
    As for collectors around here most of the antique stores bring their
    old pans to me to clean them up.

Boolit Buddy
    Rusty Griswold?
    Isn't that Clark's son on the vacation movies?
    Lol sorry couldn't resist. Just struck me as I was reading it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by shaner View Post
    Rusty Griswold?
    Isn't that Clark's son on the vacation movies?
    Lol sorry couldn't resist. Just struck me as I was reading it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Yep Ruby Sue's cousin.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I have gotten cast iron pans off of webfoot10, and they were fired in the fashion that he describer one of the a pan has a grid in the bottom and I am using them with no problem at all. I also gave one to my son and he uses it all of the time.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by webfoot10 View Post
    I've cleaned over two hundred cast iron pans in an open fire and never
    had one crack or warp. When scrubbed and oiled they look like new.
    Everybody that I've given them to don't have any problems with them.
    If you just throw them in a fire and let them cook for hours you might
    have a problem. I fire them in the evening so I can see the color turn red
    it's time to remove them the fire or if a small fire just let it go out.
    As for collectors around here most of the antique stores bring their
    old pans to me to clean them up.
    I have cleaned several cast iron pans by burning and also have never had any warp or crack but the trick is to leave them in the coals until they cool down on their own.
    Back when I heated with wood I used an Earth Stove... it did not have an ash pan so I would wait for a run of a few days of warmer weather and let the fire go out and the stove to cool down. Then I would scoop out the ashes (5-6 gallons ). If I had a pan that needed cleaning I would put it in the stove while it still had coals and take it out when I cleaned out the ashes 2-3 days later.
    Do not try to cool down a hot cast iron pan with water or it will crack... let it cool down slowly.
    Since I no longer heat with wood I have cleaned a few pans that I've obtained from auctions and garbage sales by tossing them into brushpiles that I'm burning. I've left a couple of them in the ashes for a week or so after the fire burned out with no problem.

They will need to be reseasoned and and then will be ready to use but they will not have the same finish as a virgin, unused piece of cast iron. I have virgin Wagner loaf pan from my Wife's deceased uncle's store in South Dakota and it has that raw, grey, slightly silver appearance.

Boolit Master

Electrolysis, or the lye bath I have used both and they both work!
    Wire brush or other methods on China junk only, my opinion and three dollars might get you a cup of coffee some place.
    Then season, and enjoy cooking in it or hanging on the wall. I prefer cooking in mine!

Banned
    Last rusty skillet I refinished got an overnight fill of white vinegar before a thorough scrubbing with a copper chore-boy. Animal fats (unsalted) and high-temperature oils like grape seed are best to season with, stay away from corn and blended vegetable oils unless you have nothing else. I leave my big 12” skillet on the bottom rack of the oven while using the middle rack for regular baking/broiling, it doesn’t hurt the finish and contributes to even temperatures while the oven is in use.
    I wasn’t kidding about using a grinding stone of proper grit to smooth out the rough finish of most of today’s newly manufactured cast iron. Lodge is as bad as any, though better than some.
    R/Griff

Boolit Master

For those interested, here is a forum that is all about cast iron cookware and old collectable cast iron items. I'm a member and have gotten all sorts of good info off it. Under cast iron restoration, it explains in detail how to resurrect old cast iron. I've done it many times. I have a number of interesting pieces that I have gotten over time. I don't collect it, I use it. I love my cast iron. Properly cared for, it will match or surpass anything on the market. I have skillets that cook like teflon pans--no stick.

http://www.castironcollector.com/
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

The last time I cleaned a rusty skillet was for a camping trip. Skillet got scrubbed and immediately used to slow cook some hamburgers for the grand kids. Then my son in law cooked some steaks, again low and slow. Between the burgers and steaks the skillet was perfectly seasoned. My best skillet was a garage sale find for 10 cents.

I can't cook for my wife in cast iron any longer, her blood iron spiked in recent years after being iron deficient her entire life. I watched a video where a guy made a bronze skillet using a lodge skillet for is 'sand casting' mold. I need to make a skillet that the wife can use with the heat transfer qualities of cast iron. Mom makes her cornbread in a cast iron skillet and my wife used to. Given my druthers, I still prefer iron, best non stick pans I have.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve restored dozens by soaking them in lye if not badly rusted. Reseason, and you are good to go.

Boolit Grand Master

Every time I see this post I think of the movie " National Lampoon's Vacation" ... Clark Griswold's son name was ... Rusty Griswold... and I had no idea when he grew up he started making cast iron cookware !
    I spend too much time alone .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Every time I see this post I think of the movie " National Lampoon's Vacation" ... Clark Griswold's son name was ... Rusty Griswold... and I had no idea when he grew up he started making cast iron cookware !
    I spend too much time alone .
    Gary
    You're not alone, lol. I think the same every time I see it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    You're not alone, lol. I think the same every time I see it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!

I'm hitting our like button ! I like this post
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12