Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Anti subsonic thread...

Boolit Master

As many have said hearing things is nice, I have a can and using subs in it is great. I can hear everything and don’t have to wait to for foamies to expand or put on ear muffs and have them in the way trying to get my cheek to the rifle. Lots of reasons bud, get a can and make that statement again lol, your next post would be what’s a good subsonic mold!
    90% professional 10% mature

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Standard-pressure handgun rounds, loaded with fast-burning pistol powders such as Bullseye or TiteGroup are subsonic and produce a mild report when fired in a rifle with barrel of 20 inches or more. The key is to have a light powder charge of fast-burning powder which produces a low muzzle-exit pressure. Ordinary factory .38 Special lead semi-wadcutters, or .45 Colt "Cowboy" loads are not "quiet" like an air rifle, but are little louder than .22 LR fired in a barrel of the same length.

Go to a SASS match sometime and listen to the poppety-pop of their light handguns loads in leverguns to get an idea. You don't need a can for fun recreational shooting.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Unless they're real cowboy loads loaded with fffg
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Previously Banned Member
    well lets see, modern thought is that a HANDGUN chambered in 44 magnum or 45 long colt need to be loaded with bullet weights and velocities that approximate the ORIGINAL 45-70 government load... how is that a smart idea?

If i can take a 400 grain bullet and toss it down range at the same velocity as my 38 special can toss a 158 gr lrn.... 1000fps... and have a stoke for extra accuracy why not.

Quote Originally Posted by pocketace View Post
    well lets see, modern thought is that a HANDGUN chambered in 44 magnum or 45 long colt need to be loaded with bullet weights and velocities that approximate the ORIGINAL 45-70 government load... how is that a smart idea?

If i can take a 400 grain bullet and toss it down range at the same velocity as my 38 special can toss a 158 gr lrn.... 1000fps... and have a stoke for extra accuracy why not.
    In standard .44 Magnum barrels of 18-3/4" twist in a revolver you will have difficulty stabilizing a bullet heavier than about 300 grains with anything resembling normal accuracy. The much heavier bullets usually require slower burning powders in heavier charge weights to stay within pressure limits, resulting in higher muzzle-exit pressure and greater noise, UNLESS you are willing to launch the heaviest bullet which will stabilize at the lowest velocity which will exit the barrel. 265-grain .455 MkI LRN from a 20-inch rook rifle gets about 800 fps from a 20-inch barrel with 5 grains of Unique.

Attachment 266006
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ozark mike View Post
    unless they're real cowboy loads loaded with fffg

lol!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    If you want to eliminate the sonic boom of the bullet there is.
    i know it doesnt cut out all sound all i meant is it still cuts the noise down to reasonable levels

IMHO, stating "anti" anything firearm related is foolishness and does the Marxists job for them. I.e. not everybody likes lever actions, I don't but Ill die for your right to own and shoot them! After all, a tyrant will succumb to the medicine delivered no matter the action behind the barrel or attachment in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    IMHO, stating "anti" anything firearm related is foolishness and does the Marxists job for them. I.e. not everybody likes lever actions, I don't but Ill die for your right to own and shoot them! After all, a tyrant will succumb to the medicine delivered no matter the action behind the barrel or attachment in front of it.
    Absolute truth!

To add a little.
    Anyone who thinks the left isn't after your lever actions is also a fool.
    Anyone actually believe once the semi-autos are gone the Dems will be happy?

Boolit Master
    The bottom line is a suppressor does not make a poacher or assassin out a person any more than owning a car make you a car bomber or a getaway driver for criminals , like most laws they mainly make life difficult for the good guys and don't change the bad.

I also love shooting suppressed subs. As a reloader it’s also quite a challenge to get loads to perform in this way. Also, if you’re not sub then you better be super the whole way, it’s one or the other. So, reduced loads that end up trans sonic in flight can present a lot of accuracy issues, so, keep them heavy and keep them sub, and enjoy soft shooting bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Absolute truth!

To add a little.
    Anyone who thinks the left isn't after your lever actions is also a fool.
    Anyone actually believe once the semi-autos are gone the Dems will be happy?
    Not sure I trust anyone who doesn’t love a lever action!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    snap i love levers

Boolit Master
    Marxist Divide and Conquer anyone?

Boolit Master

I should add that for some the most comfortable way to shoot a rifle is with a suppressor. Imagine firing a 338 lappua in a long range PRS march under a tin roof without a suppressor. It’s load as hell and has a large amount of recoil. For some it’s the only way to comfortable shoot a gun that can do what they want. No need to poop all over everyone else because you have zero imagination. If you don’t like em, don’t buy one. I don’t like AK’s, so I don’t have one.
    90% professional 10% mature

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    While I like the look of levers I have never liked shooting them. I even tried one again a few years ago. Sold it off after a few months of shooting it. It did surprise me that it was fairly accurate, hitting golf balls at 75yds (model 94 .30-30).

I'll stick with bolt actions And, no, I don't own any 'black' rifles either. My 'assault' rifle is a Garand

Boolit Buddy
    At the range where I shoot most often I wish only suppressed ARs were allowed. Why? It is the volume of noise. For that crowd, at that range, he auto loaders MUST be fired as fast as they will cycle. On a range surrounded by concrete the volume of sound is deafening even with ear protection. All this noise is generated to produce soccer-ball-sized groups on large targets at 50 yds.
    I really think those guys don't even need to send bullets downrange, just produce the sound effects.
    No I am not anti AR. I do not own one but if I did I would still want each shot to go where I aimed it.

I have to scratch my head. Some guys work and work to get max velocity and accuracy out of a load to hunt with then throw it out the window when they decide they need to be subsonic instead.

Boolit Man
    I was never a subsonic guy until I read a rather hard to read tome about how the Scandinavian underground used them to fight the Russians. It seems they would pull rifle bullets and dump the powder, they would then pull some pistol bullets and put the powder in the rifle cases. The result was a subsonic round that was very accurate. These guys were treated like heroes because they supplied the ammo for the freedom fighters that were much more quiet and harder to trace where the shot had come from. If the Russians found someone making handloads they were arrested because it was assumed that they were either poachers or assassins. So began my decent into the world of casting lead boolets, subsonic loads, powder coating and etc.... My next deviance will be a suppressor as soon as I can find someone that isn't too busy to thread the end of a few barrels. After lots of reading and experimenting I have found that subsonic loads can be both accurate and deadly without the recoil of a high velocity load, now to make them quieter!!!

Boolit Master
    mod also cut recoil so help people shoot better.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast