WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Anti subsonic thread...

I have read that suppressors are legal in England and that their use is encouraged to reduce noise pollution but I have not verified this.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

The Anti subsonic thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I have read that suppressors are legal in England and that their use is encouraged to reduce noise pollution but I have not verified this.
    You can apply that to the whole of Europe. They are treated as the PPE that they are. But it’s not surprising they are treated the way they are here. The NFA exists for no other reason than government control. Thankfully handguns were removed before it became law.

Can you imagine the media frenzy if silencers, this is the term the ATF uses(along w/ muffler), were made legal. We’d here about how inner city gangs are going to use them to commit mass murders. Last time I checked this happens daily anyway. And the media would be using the same fear tactics that were used to pass the NFA in 1934.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would like to have one to be able to shoot without ear protection. I was hoping the Trump administration would get the laws changed but I guess I will need to do through the hoops if I want one badly enough.

If the SHTF, I will make one as I have a lathe and regulations will not matter. Being able to take game or eradicate two legged pests relatively quietly is advantageous if the SHTF.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Craze ,buzzword ,bandwagon,take your pick........Only true purpose of supressed subsonic is military ,or for poaching animals from private land without the landowner hearing any noise to indicate the crime is happening ,till he finds the remains of one of his steers the next day.
    DAMN, you're not real bright.

They work great for thinning sounders of feral hogs.

Perhaps living in Australia has warped your mind.

By your yardstick a compound bow must be the most evil thing on earth.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm kinda on the fence on this subject, and I've read some above posts that make no sense at all. I have several "subsonic loads" and they surely ain't quiet just because they are under 1,100 fps. Thinking about many handgun loads like 44 Specials, 45 Colt, 38 Specials, and some 9mms that are under the speed of sound, but not at all quiet, even those running 300 fps below speed of sound. Someone mentioned down loading .223 as being silly, but I have an extremely accurate load for my .223 Handi-Rifle consisting of a 45 gr cast .224" bullet over some WC820 that depending on my load run about Long Rifle to 22 Magnum velocities. Funner to shoot than my rimfires and even with minimum loads are not quiet enough to go without hearing protection. I cannot fathom why suppressors were made illegal in the first place. Were they heavily use by the mobs in 1934?

I might try one if I didn't have to jump through the hoops (adding my name to another government agency as a gun owner, do all the paper work and pay the $200 "tax"). Besides, I'm OK with my ear plugs that make my 44 Magnums "pleasant" to shoot...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I stay subsonic in my buffalo rifles, to avoid the midrange transition at around 700 yards.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Man
    I’m glad to see the posts that are against this line of thinking.

Even if you don’t agree 100% with a certain type of firearm and/or accessory, keep in mind that others enjoy those item. It gets more people involved.

I for one own suppressors and enjoy shooting and reloading to get a subsonic load. Does this mean I’m going to poach something? Absolutely not!

When hunting hogs while using a suppressor they have no idea where the shot comes from and run all over versus without suppressor where they just run away. It opens more opportunities to eliminate.

Craze ,buzzword ,bandwagon,take your pick........Only true purpose of supressed subsonic is military ,or for poaching animals from private land without the landowner hearing any noise to indicate the crime is happening ,till he finds the remains of one of his steers the next day.
    John, we have the God given right of gun ownership here in the USA. In reality, almost no suppressed rounds are ever fired for poaching in the US, we really dont need to mask gunfire. As far as military, our constitution proclaimed that we have the same right to bear the same arms so as to defend ourselves from the government and military in the case of a tyrant.

God bless Suppressors, AR's, Hi-Cap Mags.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Why are people always looking to make rifle rounds subsonic???

You have the barrel length and the charge... Why would you go subsonic???
    Many reasons;

Indoor range practice
    Short range plinking
    Small game hunting
    Vermin shooting
    Teaching non-shooters to shoot
    Reduced muzzle blast
    Etcetera ad nauseum......

Full power loads and even "normal" reduced loads many times are still to powerful and noisy for the above. I have used subsonic loads in 22 though 45 caliber CF rifles for many, many years to my and others complete satisfaction. Besides, this is still the United States and I don't need a reason "why".

As to use with suppressors; I have been using suppressed weapons since '66 and had my own since '80. I've used them on my own rifles firing sub-sonic rifle cartridges from 22LR up through .308W. Currently in 22 Hornet, 223 Rem and .308W I shoot both sub-sonic (most often cast) and full house jacketed bullet loads. I also use them on handguns (M1911 45 ACP) and on my Rhineland conversion 45 ACP M98 Mauser which are all sub-sonic loads to begin with.

I'll not comment on john k's post as I prefer not to get banned.......

Attachment 265876
    Attachment 265877
    Attachment 265878
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

"Thanks Gibson"...you may have turned this thread around from it going farther downhill and eventually being closed!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Even a brain is a useless tool if you can not find a reason to use it or use it properly. However I do support your right to have and use one as you see fit.

Suppressors are simply PPE and reduce your risk of hearing loss. Try shooting any of your guns in a confined area; it is quite an uncomfortable experience. Now imagine that in the confines of your hallway in the middle of the night. For me this justifies the possession and use of suppressors alone.

As far as reduced loads or sub sonic loads go; they really knock down the noise and recoil. Which makes them useful in literally hundreds of applications. I first started down that path just to see how low I could go and still get reasonable accuracy. It's just fun and something else to do with in the scope of our respective hobby.

Banned
    How many of you with guns for defending your home have ever fired a 45 acp or even a 9mm in a hallway without hearing protection??? Your second / third shot may not be anywhere near where you intend them to be [nor will your hearing] . Maybe your adrenaline will keep you going long enough to finish what needs to be done.

Boolit Master
    When you get into a flock of ptarmigan or grouse, a suppressor on a 22lr using CCI quiet and you can usually get several before the survivors figure out they are in danger. I have been hoping they would drop the license for suppressors but I think I'm going to have to go ahead with the paper work so I can make one.

Subsonic bullets can be very accurate. For game shooting at close range they work well, especially in the larger calibers.

Banned
    300 BO 247 grn NOE over a lite charge of 700X is deadly at 100 yards subsonic and super quiet through a can [ single shot rifle]

shooting this is more fun than a barrel of monkeys, pull the trigger, see the boolit fly, hear the steel ring, no hearing protection required

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My neighbor knows that I am shooting deer in the yard, but he is also appreciative that I use a reduced noise firearm which does not disturb his livestock. I've set him up with some "blooper" loads for his .375 H&H with 11 grains of Bullseye and #375449 which he uses for deer damage control loads and they are very effective out to 200 yards with good sight dope. No "can" needed there either.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

The suppressor has another purpose not yet mentioned. It keeps rain and mud and other debris out of the muzzle. It also reduces recoil recoil with full power loads.

As for subsonic rounds - they eliminate the sonic or transonic crack when using a suppressor.

There is yet another benefit of suppressor use not mentioned. They dampen muzzle vibration, sometimes leading to far better accuracy, plus they stabilize the rifle for off handed shooting if they are heavy enough to make a difference.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

How about protecting your hearing and not bothering your neighbors.

Boolit Master
    I prefer to shoot subsonic ammunition in my handguns I find it more enjoyable , I would rather shoot a heavy bullet at a 1000fps than a light one at 1400 .
    I have no suppressors cause I am cheap , combined with not jumping through the hoops they have put in place to make it hard to own one. Hate to say that , it is a victory in my case for the anti's.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I would like to have one to be able to shoot without ear protection. I was hoping the Trump administration would get the laws changed but I guess I will need to do through the hoops if I want one badly enough.

If the SHTF, I will make one as I have a lathe and regulations will not matter. Being able to take game or eradicate two legged pests relatively quietly is advantageous if the SHTF.
    You'll still need ear protection. They do not actually silence, they just reduce the sound level 30 or 40dB. That's from around 190dB. Check out the VSO Gun Channel on Youtube, search "pillow" and find "Pillow vs Silencer: Is it a Hollywood Myth?" Watch it. You'll get a much better idea of the reality of what silencers do. He gets a subsonic 300 Blackout down to about 125dB. Pretty quiet for a gun, but not at all silent.

I'd like to be able to shoot without ear protection, too. OTH, I'm the oldest male in my family not wearing hearing aides, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast