Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
PBcastco Repackbox
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Anti subsonic thread...

The Anti subsonic thread...

Why are people always looking to make rifle rounds subsonic???

You have the barrel length and the charge... Why would you go subsonic???
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master

With a good can subsonic are very quite......
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Craze ,buzzword ,bandwagon,take your pick........Only true purpose of supressed subsonic is military ,or for poaching animals from private land without the landowner hearing any noise to indicate the crime is happening ,till he finds the remains of one of his steers the next day.

Because they are fun and different. Quiet, low recoil, lower cost, and they are just fun.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I want to be able to shoot deer in my garden in early morning hours without disturbing the neighbors.
    Firing a blunt, heavy .45 bullet at 800 fps from a rifle does that without needing a "can" and you can eat right up to the bullet hole.

Attachment 265868
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Range toy and reduce/eliminate need for hearing protection.

I don’t understand things like slowing 223 down and using it for squirrel, only because the rifle is heavy vs a .22lr.

Have never poached, and certainly not a domesticated farm animal. I imagine that it’s a problem, but I find being painted with that brush somewhat offensive, so maybe we can avoid doing that in the future?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Only true purpose of supressed subsonic is military ,or for poaching animals from private land without the landowner hearing any noise to indicate the crime is happening ,till he finds the remains of one of his steers the next day.
    What? You do know that states allow silencers for hunting? I like my hearing and have used subsonic loads in conjunction w/ a silencer to take deer a few times. The owner of the farm I hunt on likes this. He’s not opposed to supersonic rounds. But a break of dawn shot that he doesn’t hear doesn’t wake him up.

Boolit Master
    I enjoy shooting some very reduced loads out of rifles , and several friends have as well .

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Craze ,buzzword ,bandwagon,take your pick........Only true purpose of supressed subsonic is military ,or for poaching animals from private land without the landowner hearing any noise to indicate the crime is happening ,till he finds the remains of one of his steers the next day.
    The use of words like this shows ignorance of the topic. There are lots of uses. I assume you also think AR'Ss and AK's are only useful for military purposes too? I don't own either but don't have problem with others if that's what they want. You're in Aus. you can shoot dingos without spooking them so you can shoot more.

CS

Boolit Master

This is very easy. It is the explosion of suppressor use. 10 years ago, I NEVER saw suppressors. I got to try one about 6 years ago and I thought God had opened the sky to bless me. Now I see them every month. I own 2. They are becoming mainstream. Just wait. After you touch off a 200+ grain bullet and the only sound you hear is that missile smacking the berm, you to will be hooked.

They should be legal for adults without registration. I dont have one but I understand their use- especially with more houses popping up when every landed heir sells the farm for development. Legalize switchblades , too- no deadlier than a regular knife IMO. Nighttime hog hunters love them so they dont disturb the landowners- who love the hog hunters results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

As Outpost mentioned, even a gun without a suppressor is fairly quiet when sub-sonic ammo is used. I have only found the 300BLK, 22LR, 38Special, and 45 caliber guns to be accurate enough to keep me interested in shooting them sub-sonic.

Years ago I tried loading 308 sun-sonic. It worked, but the rifle’s twist rate did not support accuracy with larger bullets. I kind of figured that if I couldn’t launch at least a 200 grain or larger bullet accurately, it was not a good candidate for hunting.

Boolit Master

Its still America... My use isnt now, nor ever was, contingent upon another acceptance for my doing something.

Having said that.. My use is hunting over dogs. They have hearing too and none have advantage if protection. So If I can do something to help that and not effect me or my "wants" Why not!!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It would just be nice if folks with zero actual basis for that opinion would keep it to them selves.

Supressors make for more enjoyment as they makes things quieter.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 08-07-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

This kind of thinking is toxic. This is why we are fighting a uphill battle for suppressor de-regulation. The "only" purpose is for military and poaching? You do realize a subsonic rifle round is still very loud unless suppressed. We better shame all the bow hunters. Way to sneaky. They're definitely up to no good.

Boolit Man
    Or, maybe an AR pistol is To loud when fired from the shoulder.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    This is very easy. It is the explosion of suppressor use. 10 years ago, I NEVER saw suppressors. I got to try one about 6 years ago and I thought God had opened the sky to bless me. Now I see them every month. I own 2. They are becoming mainstream. Just wait. After you touch off a 200+ grain bullet and the only sound you hear is that missile smacking the berm, you to will be hooked.
    I agree. They sort of become addicting. It is another aspect of our sport. I cast 220 grain pc boolits for my 300 and 308. The cycling of the action is louder than the shot. I've gotten to the point that someone shooting without a can annoys me.

Boolit Master

First time I shot a suppressed weapon, you couldn't wipe the smile off my face with a belt sander! Now I have one and one in jail. It saves what little hearing I have left.

Boolit Buddy
    While I have no use for a suppressor 'at this time', I do come down on the side of people having and using them. I believe suppressors can have a positive effect on the non-shooting public by not causing them to spit their coffee or mess themselves when a hunter or target shooter fires a round or two. The FedGov needs to declare them as non-NFA items. The $200.00 fee 'tax' should be declared null and void.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Buddy

Arent "mouse fart" or other nicknames people have been using forever about the same thing as subsonic. I rather enjoy shooting my 30-06 with these types of loads because I can sit and shoot 50-100 rounds and still here the satisfying "ping when it hits steel.
    just my 2 cents
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

I'll admit in the last .22lr shortage I tinkered with light loads of Red Dot in a .223rem single shot handi rifle with 55 gr cast bullets.

I came up with 2 winners, one with gas check and a little more Red Dot. Plenty accurate at 100 yards. 55grn Red Dot 6.6 1682 fps to 8.5 2022 fps
    6.5 grs of Red Dot will get you in the 1800 fps area,and will shoot well also. Just hit 5" lower than factory.

The other was 55 gr bator bullet, no gas checks, 4.6 grains Red Dot. Should be just below 1400 fps.
    This one had a slightly larger group. But assuming aimpoint was a squirrel eye, 10 shots would have killed 10 squirrels. They all printed in the head area.
    Sounded a lot like a .22lr with a bit more smack on the far end. 55 gr vs 36 or 40, couple hundred feet per second faster.
    Still supersonic, but quiet.

I think the same load in the mid 3's grains of Red Dot would be super quiet subsonic. But I have no chrony to test. And .22lr came back on the market and lowered prices quickly so I shelved that project and moved onto something else.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast