Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington model 8

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    The best description I've seen that describes shooting a Model 8 (mine is 35 Rem) was on this forum. Someone said it's like shooting a pogo stick. Don't remember who said it.
    Pre-WW2 an American Rifleman writer described it as "winding up like a sawmill".
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    The shoulder of the .30-30 Win and the .30 Remington are not the same. I made that mistake when trying to help my friend. This is non-trivial since the .30 Rem headspaces on the shoulder.
    Will the 30-30 die work to just neck size the neck of the case? I'll have to find case dimensions for the .30 RR.
    PS- I ordered some new unprimed brass from Graf&Sons before I got out of bed this morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 08-08-2020 at 10:07 AM.

I wish I could help you out some, but I have a Remington Model 14 in Remington 30, https://www.remingtonsociety.org/serials-model-14/, so I have nothing else to offer other than the links posted below. Good luck and stay safe, the .30 Remington is an excellent caliber in the .30-30 Winchester class and you may even be able to use the same data.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011278027?pid=131219

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/71102

https://www.buffaloarms.com/30-remin...of-20-amo30rem

Boolit Master
    I do only neck size with a set of Lee's in 30-30. It's working fine for me for quite a few years in my Model 8 and a friend's model 14.
    Glad to hear you found some brass.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Nice looking rifle Thomas, glad you got it, keep us updated on how it shoots.

Case drawing is in Barnes. SAAMI no longer lists it. Bottom line - the .30 Rem neck starts at 1.498 from the base, ends at 1.5783. Angle is 23 degrees. The .30-30 shoulder is in about the same position, but it's only 15 degrees 39 minutes, so you'd have to be very careful when using the .30-30 die to neck size, so as to never touch the shoulder.

The case volume is exactly the same to three decimal places, so .30-30 data is perfectly safe. Barnes points out that you don't have to avoid pointy bullets when loading for the Remington rifles, and he thought that the Model 8 and its' progeny can handle slightly higher pressure. (I wouldn't rely too heavily on that.)
    Last edited by uscra112; 08-08-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Don't those have a habit of not cycling after a while?

Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Dimensions of each.

I just looked at Marble peep sights on line. YIKES! I’m so thankful my eyes are still up to the barrel sight!
    Ascast- the 81s I had were like Energizer bunnies. I used to frequent the 8/81 site and I don’t recall many tales of malfunctions- after all, it is a Browning design.
    cwtebay- I was wrong about the “ factory” sling loop on the buttstock. It was a ring on a small cup hook type screw- tiny threads. It is removed now.
    According to the serial number, it is 1914 production.
    And thanks for the links/ drawings/ and “ enableations” from every one.

They're fun, Texas.... If I'm just looking for some plinking fun.....it's often the one I reach for. I love my BPCR stuff, but that's a bit more of a production. Just to have some fun in the back yard....I do like the Model 8. The felt recoil is unlike anything else.....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    The best I can describe the recoil is that they kick one time backwards, and twice forward.

Somewhere I saw a slow motion video of the action during firing,fascinating. Browning was a genius.

In the late 70s I rebarreled a 10/22 using a Win 75 target barrel. I got bored with it and at a gun show I traded it for a Remington 81 .300 Savage that had been rechambered to .308 Win(eek). Danged if it didnt work just fine but that checkered steel buttplate and the compound recoil beat this skinny lad up. Sadly it was stolen before we found out the answer to the longevity question.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I shot Brn 5s since I was big enough to hold one up. I had 8 in 35 at 12. It did waltz me around only weighed 110, but still I never thought of it being hard kicker. I have a 81 in 300sav that had a recoil pad added. The 8 & 81 recoil different, not harder the the average rifle. A few years ago I had over 60 cf rifles. One of my favorites was an old Sako 375H&H and it didn’t kick as bad as several FW bolt actions in 308, 30/06 and the short magnums.

Always wanted one in 35 rem maybe one day who knows
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Have the model 14 in 30. Very nice shooting round, will do anything the 30-30 can, plus use pointed slugs if you want.

Boolit Buddy
    Very cool picture. I think Captain Frank Hamer is smiling.................... curdog

I’ve shot a lot of deer with a lot of cartridges over the years. There is something about the 35 Rem that seems to really hammer them. Maybe it’s a illusion or maybe it’s like shooting bull frogs with a 22. A 22Lr shoots through the frog and many times he will jump in and try to swim off. A short is like hitting him with a brick and he stays put. I’m not 100% sure about this, just what I herd. You ain’t allowed to shoot frogs in Ohio.

Boolit Grand Master
    Always wanted a Model 8
    Shot one once.
    It does feel a little strange.

Boolit Master
    I kind of enjoy the "different" recoil of the Remington, but also the 1905/07/10 Winchester for the same reason. The Winnie feels like a slap, the Remmie more springy. Just so unusual compared to AR or AK platforms.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast