MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataPBcastco
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington model 8

Boolit Master
    Dang it Texas, now I have to get out my 30 Remington. It has been a while!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That Model 8 deserves to be in the front row beside the Winchester

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Dang it Texas, now I have to get out my 30 Remington. It has been a while!

Well quit teasing and get that thing out and shoot it. And take pictures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Well, got her out of her hidey hole! Still shoots like a dream!! She needed a couple ride along buddies, wish I had a peep on the 32 WSL too....

Nice!! It's in good company there. Your stripper clip and peep sight are worth a lot alone. I never knew the clips were brass- I've never seen one. I have since noticed that my front sight is bent- that will need some crafty dabbing to set it right.

I have two original stripper clips. I never use them and I think a buddy of mine that also has a 35 uses 1903 stripper clips. I bought a 81 here on forum couple years ago. It has a Redfield reciever sight that is mounted into the back of hump on receiver.

I think you see sun on steel for the stripper. Not saying there wasn't brass ones, but I've only saw steel.

Boolit Master
    I have a few marked Remington, they're all brass with a steel spring.

Perfect. I figured there must be some brass ones. Thank you

So cwtebay, is that the .25 or .35? You said that your .30 was peepless.

Boolit Master
    It's the 30. I had forgotten that I had stolen the 32 peep at some point.

Cast Boolits Owner

I always have wanted a model 8. I have a couple 14’s, one being chambered in 30 Remington.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Every time I post a 35Rem for sale some Texan buys it. I have a buddy that belongs to a hunting club in eastern PA. They have a cult following for two rifles. The Rem 760 in 35 and Sav 99 in 300s.
    I have never owned a 35 in 760. I have owned several dozen 35s in 8,81,14,141 and Mar 336. I have never bought a new one so they must have been the most popular in the old Remington Guns.
    I see about 5:1 35s against other Rem cartridges. Besides I see the same 25, 30 and 32s show after show on same tables. The prices aren’t that bad it’s just a limited market for guys who are going to want to load for them. The really nice ones sell for collectors pieces. Same deal with the Win Self Loaders. The 351 was only one that sold. The only difference is people are nuts on prices on Wins. Even beat up they are priced high. I personally don’t understand it. If a gun is not shooter nor collectors item, it’s a parts gun.

They weren't common at all around here. Everyone had a 94 or 336 30-30 or a milsurp sporter of the older guys I saw. My generation used Remington and Ruger bolt rifles mostly.
    Would someone with an original rear sight tell me if the notch on mine has been opened? Maybe the pic is good enough to tell....
    I have straightened the Lyman front sight and I'm loading a few test rounds with brass from Most Generous Member. The C309170F over IMR 3031 is up first.

Boolit Master
    I have a question. I have the tang mount peep sight on my Model 8, but it is stuck in the down position. I forgot how I go about flipping it up or down. Can one of you please tell me how to get it back up again?
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    I have a question. I have the tang mount peep sight on my Model 8, but it is stuck in the down position. I forgot how I go about flipping it up or down. Can one of you please tell me how to get it back up again?
    Thanks
    If it's the Marble's version thereshould be a little spur at the base, it's typically gummy and needs to be cleaned - but rocking that downward should allow the sight to return to vertical.
    The Lyman has a screwdriver slot on the left side, loosening that (NOT TAKE OUT!!) will allow the sight to toggle.

I test fired it offhand and I’m pleased. Using the converted 30-30 brass, my fire forming loads were good enough to hit the clays on the berm most convincingly. It’s the most reloader friendly auto I’ve ever owned- all the empties were in a 2ft.pattern 2ft. In front of me. And yes, now I like model 8s better than 81s. That rear sight needs a closer look- that notch HAS to have been modified. And the trigger is A5 like but I’ll squirt some oil in there- I ain’t taking this apart! If you have, you know......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    If it's the Marble's version thereshould be a little spur at the base, it's typically gummy and needs to be cleaned - but rocking that downward should allow the sight to return to vertical.
    The Lyman has a screwdriver slot on the left side, loosening that (NOT TAKE OUT!!) will allow the sight to toggle.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I'll check it out. I have the Marble sight on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    They weren't common at all around here. Everyone had a 94 or 336 30-30 or a milsurp sporter of the older guys I saw. My generation used Remington and Ruger bolt rifles mostly.
    Would someone with an original rear sight tell me if the notch on mine has been opened? Maybe the pic is good enough to tell....
    I have straightened the Lyman front sight and I'm loading a few test rounds with brass from Most Generous Member. The C309170F over IMR 3031 is up first.

I have several of same sight, I think by your picture. The screw to right of notch is fine adjustment for elevation. The plate with notch can be raised and locked with screw. I think you can still buy this piece from Marble if you want to replace it. I had one on a single shot rifle that I made blank insert and drilled it as a peep. Matches I was shooting in didn’t allow receiver or tang sights so I improvised.

I have this photo in another thread on the forum, but thought I'd pop this in here as well. An old photo from the farmhouse I grew up in, I can remember my dad shooting that Remington, but it was gone before I was old enough to partake of such firepower. Don't know the model, but remember it was a .35 Rem.
    Attachment 266355
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast