Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Remington model 8

That’s a Rem 81 with Police conversion for detachable magazine. In pictures that you can’t see real well the pistol grip stock is give away.

I'm pleased with these fire forming loads- especially when after shooting them I discovered that the rear sight was very loose! Its recoil from the bench is not bad at all. Here's another attempt at a pic of the rear sight. I may just be me, but the vee notch valley seems wide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I would say both wide and shallow, but I'm not familiar with the sight that was original.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    See if there is a narrow notch on the side of the adj plate that is opposite the wide V,,and is at the 6 oclock position now.
    Some of the sights have two options like that. It just takes loosening that small jam screw on the right side,,sliding the plate out and re-inserting it the other way down.
    Sometimes they are stuck in place from never having been moved at all in their lifetime,,dried oil, ect can cement them into place.
    CArefully check to see if it even has a sight notch on the lower end before trying to move things around.

Nice early rifle.
    Made with the 'ears' on the butt stock shaped to conform to the frame sides. Later M8 dropped that little feature for easier production.
    It also has the early style hard rubber butt plate. Those are fragile as most any HR butt plate is. They were prone to breaking at the toe as was the Mod8 butt stock. lots of these have a chunk out of the toe of the stock and a piece of the early HR butt plate missing.
    Later they went to that steel curved /cresent shaped plate with the tang on the bottom toe line of the stock to better protect the wood there.
    They also offered a steel shotgun style plate and you could even get a factory 'pad' if you wanted.
    The magazine has the cartridge retention/guide spring on both sides of the mag box. Later they went to only one.

As pointed out, the small 'loop' on the forend is for TD purposes only,,not a sling swivel.

But you can install a front swivel just ahead of the forend right on the bbl.
    IF there is a small set screw on the bottom of the bbl. That is a plug screw for the swivel. The swivel was a factory option. Didn't buy the sling option?,,you got the plug set screw.
    ***Very early production rifles may not have the plug screw/swivel option..
    I wouldn't attempt to blindly drill and hope I hit that collar to install a swivel if there is no set screw plug there.
    You know what your chances of success are!

The hole is common 8-32 thread,,many threaded sling swivels are that.
    The threads are cut not just into the sheet metal bbl jacket,,but into a steel collar inside the jacket at that location. The collar is in there to support the bbl recoil & buffer springs during firing.
    It's brazed in place during mfg, not going anywhere.
    So if you want to mount a sling,,use the factory mounting hole up front and drill and install a wood screw threaded swivel in the butt stock at the back.

Tang sights are pricey for these and the M81. If you get one try and get the screw that is correct for attachment as well. It's a special thread, something like 8-37. Nothing that is likely to be handy in the jelly jar of loose screws on your bench.
    There was a rear aperture site that also attached to the back wall of the 'hump' of the frame. I think it was a Redfield. Nice sight but it requires 3 drill & tap holes in that location.
    The single factory hole in the tang will accept the Lyman and the Marbles tang sights.

The 30Rem is nice cartridge. Easy to load and nice to shoot. Same for all of them really.
    Mine feeds fires and ejects with reloading manual minimum loads or 3031 powder and 150gr jktd bullets.
    Just a range toy. My 32Rem the same and has taken a couple deer in the hands of a family member. I use Winchester 32Special .321d bullets in that one.
    A 25Rem cal Grade 'C' Mod 8, a 35cal Mod 8 and a 35cal Model 81 round out the group.
    The 25Rem is a real sweetheart to shoot.

The action in these is the same long recoil design as the Fn/Browning A5 shotgun.
    Lots of shuffling of parts back and forth w/ separate and distinct impulses as bbl and bolt recoil together,,unlock and then come together again and lock once more.
    Seems like slow motion when you fire these and the A5 the first few times but you get used to it.
    Last edited by 2152hq; 08-30-2020 at 06:29 PM.

I need to tap the front sight a bit to the left, but I'm pleased with the 40 yard cast and 100 yard jacketed bullet groups. The pink target with 1" targdot was with Lee C309170F and 29 grs of 3031. The front sight bead almost covered the blue paper completely at 100 yards.
    I like this Modern Sporting Rifle....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Very nice! That's definitely minute of whitetail!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234