RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 45-410 judge for bear protection

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    I think someone forgot to report a few probably a democrat that thinks bears are all fuzzy and cute and couldn't believe one would kill the mean human stomping around in the forest where he doesnt belong
    Heres some
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.gre...m/amp/86568632

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.gre...amp/3270359001
    You do realize that the links you provided match up exactly with the map I linked that reported exactly 5 bear attack fatalities in Montana in the last 20 years, right?

So in essence, you said the map link I posted was "ain't accurate" then posted a link to an article that basically mirrored the results I posted.

Either you are confused about the facts, or are just arguing for the sake of arguing.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Keep the thread on track and civil, please. We don't want to have to close it.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

It said 3 and i said this is just some of the people that got attacked i havent kept track over the years but I've heard of a lot more than just 3 or 5 over the last 10 years. Im just trying to provide accurate info since we all know the media can't/wont
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    The map says "fatal" not every one attacked is killed , sometimes it may be fatal for the bear.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I own both the handgun and long gun version of the Judge. Cool guns, but no match for a bear!!!!!!! OMG!!!!

They work well for small varmints and snakes. And 45 target plinking.

Still, it IS fun to shoot 45's and 410's out of the same gun.

But tell your buddy to get a 12 gauge Mossy!

Boolit Buddy
    Everyone seems to be talking about the caliber, but I'd be much more concerned about it being a Taurus. I wouldn't want to be stuck trusting my life on ANY Taurus.

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    Everyone seems to be talking about the caliber, but I'd be much more concerned about it being a Taurus. I wouldn't want to be stuck trusting my life on ANY Taurus.
    No i think we all agree that a bh in 45 loaded hot is enough. Its just some believe that there are better choices be it. Easier to pack vs more penetration.

I won’t give my opinion, because it’s already been covered. Tell him to leave you in his will.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    Sorry you feel that way. I own 3 Taurus pistols and long guns. Perfect pieces right out of the box. I do not know their quality of late, but mine are 5+ years old and are very reliable.

"Name-dropping" is not one of my better suites. It is the performance NOT the name that counts for me.

banger

Boolit Master

Plus one for the Taurus. About thirteen years ago, I bought my first auto pistol. It was the PT 1911 in 45acp. Accurate, and functions great right out of the box. No issues with the pistol.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Buddy
    No i think we all agree that a bh in 45 loaded hot is enough. Its just some believe that there are better choices be it. Easier to pack vs more penetration.
    Mine is a Redhawk. I don't know that any handgun is ideal against a bear, but certainly I'd much rather have my 300 grain cast bullets out of it at 1300+ fps than any Taurus.

Sorry for those of you who have had good luck with Taurus, but I can't say the same.

The PT1911 is a great example, the frontstrap profile alone being all blocky makes it feel like you're holding onto a 2x4.

Boolit Master
    I don't have a Taurus and never have , but there are enough folks here that have them and are happy with them that it would be silly for me to say they are all bad . What has kept me from buying one are the stories of getting them fixed when they have a problem . And I have had problems from many manufactures , even one of my Glocks . Brands that parts are easily available for and have aftermarket support get a big plus in my book.

Boolit Master

The long chamber and freebore makes it hard to get velocity from the .410/45 guns a .45load that will get 900fps from a standard .45Colt chamber will get much less with the gas loss from the long jump and freewbore in the chamber.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    How about a police surplus Glock 22 .40 with 180 grain FMJ? At least you got 15 of 'em on tap and they will penetrate, unlike the Judge.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    How about a police surplus Glock 22 .40 with 180 grain FMJ? At least you got 15 of 'em on tap and they will penetrate, unlike the Judge.
    Not enough gun besides I wouldn't be caught with a glock anything or any semi auto for that matter just more there to go wrong and accuracy is of concern for me

Boolit Master
    If the Judge could handle Ruger only 45 Colt loads, 30k PSI, then I'd say fine. But, I don' think it would last but for one shot. Any gun is better than no gun, and bears have been killed with less, but I'd rather have a little margin on my side. The long cylinder of the Judge also makes it less than ideal for carry. There are better options out there.

Boolit Master

Not enough gun besides I wouldn't be caught with a glock anything or any semi auto for that matter just more there to go wrong and accuracy is of concern for me
    .40 S&W worked just fine on this 900lb moose...

And all of my glocks will do 1.5" or better at 25 yards. Not sure why you think a Glock is not a reliable handgun; they're pretty much famous for being reliable.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Another grizz attack was announced on the news some guy got mauled but lived

Boolit Buddy
    I'm no bear expert, but if I HAD TO use a judge, then I'd get the Raging Judge XXVIII. These were made for a brief period and can handle .454 Casull, 45 Colt and 3" .410 shotshells. On the practical side it can be versatile; but if only for bear protection, then what's the point? A Ruger Alaskan would be my choice.

Shouldn't the "Judge" be loaded with full length brass, black powder and a heavy hollow base? Or are the chambers just not suited?
    Oh well, once worked with a rather large fellow that was known to have paid $2500 a glass for hundred year old spirits and to have jumped from a car and chased a large bear down the road with a pen knife, which sums up what I know of large bears and old booze.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast