Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationPBcastcoWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester 94 using the original sights

Boolit Grand Master

If your eyes are getting older .... just go with a good adjustable receiver (peep) sight like the Williams and get one that puts the peep hole as close to your eye as possible .
    A Peep works for us because you look through the hole , not at it , and a smallish size peep hole actually sharpens the front sight and target . Your eye naturally centers itself in the peep hole opening . It takes some practice but you must trust your eye , look through the peep and put the front bead on the target ... with practice you wont even think about the peep hole .
    Trust me ...the peep works ...almost as good as a scope .
    Get different sized peep holes and try them all ...one will help your shooting .
    The only sight easier to use is a red dot sight but those look so out of place on a 94 .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Sight alignment

Fiber optic sights

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

A fire sight in front will prove to be a big help. Fire sight and a peep will bring you right back to years ago.

My eyes are really bad, which is why the regular sight works the best for me. This is the last shot I took with it...

Depending on the light, I might see 7 firesights, usually 3.
    The peeps depend on the size as to how many peeps inside the peep I see.
    I haven't tried a tang peep, which I assume would work better.

I wish I could use a scope, but the screw holes for mounting one must not have been correct, the screws would never stay tight.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I'm good with the factory rear on my 1971 94 but changed to a marbles Ivory bead on the front . That works for me for now but I do have a receiver sight on the way . I have a 1912 94 SRC in .32 spl on the way , should be here by Tuesday , that has the three blade express type rear . Not sure how I will like it but I am gonna give it a shot before I think about changing anything. Kinda surprising how hard an all steel receiver sight for a 94 or 92 is to locate considering the number that have been made over the last 100 or so years . Lots of aluminum base sights but very few steel to be found .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by Win94ae View Post

I wish I could use a scope, but the screw holes for mounting one must not have been correct, the screws would never stay tight.

FWIW, I've never had a scope mount screw loosen, after installing them properly.

1) Clean the threads on both the screws and the holes they go into with acetone or lacquer thinner & let air dry.

2) Likewise clean the bottom of the scope bases and the surface they will attach to.

3) Apply a drop or two of blue Loctite (red bottle) to the screw and hole threads, one at a time.

4) Install the screws barely tight through the mount base holes into the gun

5) Once all the screws are in, and the base secured, tighten the screws as tight as you can get them manually.

6) With the gun supported on a solid surface, use a heavy hammer (no love taps, here) and a flat tip drift pin to whack the top of each screw to set the threads.

7) Re-tighten each screw manually (you should be able to get another partial turn of the screws)

8 ) Do the same with the scope ring screws after plumbing the reticle & setting the eye relief

(It's OK to plumb the scope reticle with the ring screws slightly loose, then setting the screws one at a time so as to not lose plumb/eye-relief)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

As my eyes continued to go even further south I've had to pretty much give up on the factory sights of my M94 carbine. Even with a Lyman receiver sight with Merit disc by the time i get the iris closed enough to bring the front sight into focus not much light comes through and it's not very fast. On my 24" M94 i can still use the aperture sight well. However, on the Carbine I just went to a "scout scope". Some years back Burris made a 1.5X scout scope and a base that fit on the barrel. I got one and wish I had got more. With the 1.5X scout scope the M94 carbine is as fast to use as it ever was [got it for my 14th birthday]. I really like it.

Attachment 265990
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Nice set up Larry !!

All of us have different eyesight at any age. I can still use factory sights at 70.
    But I started putting tang sights and receiver sights on our rifles 30 years ago. Much faster for our shooting. And we see little accuracy loss over factory sights if any.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

FWIW...I use the fiber optic sights like those shown in post #22. I have them on all my lever guns with open sights. I'm in my late 50s and I noticed a huge improvement on target after the switch.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Burris Scout Base

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    As my eyes continued to go even further south I've had to pretty much give up on the factory sights of my M94 carbine. Even with a Lyman receiver sight with Merit disc by the time i get the iris closed enough to bring the front sight into focus not much light comes through and it's not very fast. On my 24" M94 i can still use the aperture sight well. However, on the Carbine I just went to a "scout scope". Some years back Burris made a 1.5X scout scope and a base that fit on the barrel. I got one and wish I had got more. With the 1.5X scout scope the M94 carbine is as fast to use as it ever was [got it for my 14th birthday]. I really like it.

Attachment 265990
    Larry, how does that mount attach? I assume you drill and tap the barrel band?

Thanks

I thought about changing the sights on my 1960 94 win. but then did not want to change the fast sight picture the buck horns offer. I am not hurting most steel I shoot at with a 170 cast and 1500 FPS. At 59, I am using a 1 powered reader to see the sights and a clear enough target.

I'm also suffering from old eyes. My solution on a lever action was to use a Skinner dovetail slot scope mount (replaces the rear sight) combined with a micro red-dot (2 moa dot). This combo allows me to shoot respectable groups at a 100 yards with no trouble.

http://www.skinnersights.com/scope_mounts_31.html

The best group I ever fired offhand with 30/30 was with 150RN SPs that I believe were seconds or bulk. The box they came in was white with black border with OLIN in big bold letters and .30 cal ink stamped on lid. Box was big enough for 250 but only had a bit over 100 in it and I broke the label when I opened. I shot some groups of bench at 100yds that were impressive for a 30/30 lever. I still have the offhand group I shot at 60yds with Lyman 66 reciever sight. It was .85” 5 shot group, shot with Marlin 336, 16” barrel.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm really enjoying this thread! So much good information here. Subscribed! Semper Fi, TreeTop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nseries View Post
    Larry, how does that mount attach? I assume you drill and tap the barrel band?

Thanks
    There is a "stud" that fits into the rear sight notch that is threaded for a large screw that holds the rear of the base. The "stud" also has a "recoil shoulder" that fits into a slot in the bottom of the base.
    The directions say to D&T (6x48) the top of the barrel band for a front screw. I also D&T'd into the barrel 4 threads. It is a very solid lock up and has not shifted zero even after some serious bouncing around in my jeep.

Very unfortunate that Burris discontinued the base some years back.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    If your eyes are getting older .... just go with a good adjustable receiver (peep) sight like the Williams and get one that puts the peep hole as close to your eye as possible .
    A Peep works for us because you look through the hole , not at it , and a smallish size peep hole actually sharpens the front sight and target . Your eye naturally centers itself in the peep hole opening . It takes some practice but you must trust your eye , look through the peep and put the front bead on the target ... with practice you wont even think about the peep hole .
    Trust me ...the peep works ...almost as good as a scope .
    Get different sized peep holes and try them all ...one will help your shooting .
    The only sight easier to use is a red dot sight but those look so out of place on a 94 .
    Gary
    Agree^^^. A Tang peep sight is an amazing thing. These Eye-Pal self clinging peep for your eye glasses work too, but difficult to find the perfect sight picture. https://eyepalusa.com/
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My 94's use Lyman 66 or Williams Foolproof rear peeps with 1/16" white bead fronts. My 336's use low power compact scopes.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

When deer hunting I don’t use aperture, just shoot through frame and have Marble Patridge fronts with inlaid gold flat. I carry a Williams Twi-Lite aperture in my watch pocket in case I would get a long stationary shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12