PBcastcoInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: powder for 45ACP that measures the most accurately with Lee Disc

Boolit Buddy

powder for 45ACP that measures the most accurately with Lee Disc

trying to make the most accurate ammo I can that is still mostly automated..one of the problems I need to solve is getting the most accurately measuring powder for the Lee Disc powder measure

the ones I have been using have just happened to all be flake and seem to jump around 0.3gn case to case

I'm guessing a powder without very thin or tiny particles would do better

Boolit Master

There is a balance of leaking and ball powder with the Lee Disk. I used Tight group with great success, still leaked. H110 will get all over. HP38 did well.

Boolit Master

Most times metering issues can be with the measure more then powder.

Wash parts in soapy water and whipe with dryer sheets. You DONT WANT static.

Some flake powders can be problematic for some measures and some ball cause others to leak. (LEE shouldnt make measures or scales)

I use Redding, RCBS and older Hornady measures on my benches and by and large unless Im loading "PINCHES" of powder mine work very well.
    Remember if your looking for exactly precise dumps every time. Your in a fantasy world. Closest ya can come is bump Under Chg but Still close and trickle up to the scale you want.

Good luck!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

powder for 45ACP that measures the most accurately with Lee Disc

Ball powders work best. W231/HP38 will work great w/ no leaking. Fine ball powders like W296/H110 will leak all over. But you won’t be using that for loading a 45 ACP.

Boolit Master
    You don't mention what press you are using the pro auto disk works great on the the Lee turret press with the press in auto index .Rotation of the turret between powder drops makes it very consistent With certain powders that do not meter well in my RCBS or Lyman 55 . red dot and unique are two examples .
    Powders like BE-86 and 2400 work well in all my measures as does 231 and similar grained powders the really fine powders like 296 work better In my Lyman 55 or rcbs measure they will work in the auto disk to but may leak a tiny bit at times which can accumulate over long sessions . I get some powder on the press no matter what measure I am using in long sessions (even Dillon)
    I use my auto disk on my progressive with the powders that flow better than Red Dot I have different measures and presses so I use what I have found throws best for what I am doing Extruded powders I have not used in the auto disk , the cartridges I use them in take to much powder and I don't use a double disk kit . The pro auto disk is a better working measure than the base model and is worth the extra $10.00 ,It is at its best IMHO with handgun size cartridges it has the advantages and drawbacks of any of the fixed chamber measures quick to set up if you keep notes and won't change adjustment if you are consistent in your operation of the press/measure , but you are limited to the charges on the disk unless you modify the disk or use the adjustable charge bar which I don't . Really tiny charges can be difficult . Titan offers a disk for really small capacity cases that works well for some powders in small cases like 32acp .
    Sorry this is so long . You question can't be honestly answered in one line like most things in reloading it is a combination of details that make the process work.
    Last edited by onelight; 08-11-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I’ve had pretty good luck with W231 but I’m thinking about moving to CFE pistol when it’s all used up, versatile and supposedly meters very well. Remember if you are using something like unique or trail boss those kind of powders are know for pour metering(the ability to flow through a powder measured with ease). Also I have found with some lee powder meters you really have to do a little extra work to make them work well. Ensure that the meter is going through a full stroke and give it a little time to fill all the powder and dump all the powder with a slight pause at the beginning of the press stroke and the end of the press stroke. Lee stuff works great for what it is. Also keep in mind with pistol that you are shooting at a pretty short distance, perfect isn’t really necessary for good accuracy with a pistol. If you want match ammo you will really need to step your game up with added precision tools and components.

That being said for 45acp in my XDM 5.5 competition gun I get consistent 1.5-1.75”(depends on my shooting that day) 5 round 25yard groups. I also get a variance of .3 grains when using my lee master press and the same powder charger as you. I’ve learned not to worry about it. When I miss a steel or target at 7 yards it’s because I’m going too fast or flinched during a stage not because that round has .2grains less of W231. If you want a good example weight the charge for 10 bullets then load 10 using the powder measurer and compare group sizes at the range. If it’s enough to matter then maybe look into a better powder measurer. I think you will find it is the same or that you just need to tweak your autodisk a little to get it working right.
    90% professional 10% mature

Boolit Grand Master

Win 231 and Acc #2 both deliver excellent charges for me in two different Lee Pro 1000.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Alliant BE-86 works great in the auto disk. And is a good 45 auto powder.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I've mostly run Bullseye or 452AA (until it was discontinued in 1991) and since then mostly WST in the Star machines all total for over 50 years. I prefer a fast-burning powder which attains the desired velocity with a clean burn at the lowest charge weight. HP38 and 231 are also acceptable, but neither would be my first choice.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Don't know if it would help or not but I remembered seeing this a long time ago. Took a while to find it again.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...280412-Baffles

Boolit Buddy
    wow this is an overwhelming amount of great info!!! thanks everyone

I am using the pro auto disk measure that came with my loadmaster

I try to bang it around and exaggerate the lever motion so that things dump cleaner.

I will do my home work on all the powders mentioned above and try to get my hands on some. Of course all powders I just bought and the ones I have are not mentioned anywhere above. CFE pistol appears to be a flake powder just like the ones I am getting inconsistent drops with. However I will be a bit more scientific and try to actually measure the drop variations I am getting since they are close to the precision of my scale (tenths of grains).

My loading goal is to mass-produce 1000's of round as well as I can without per-round fiddling. So the powder dump is going to do what its going to do and I'm not going to trickle or fine tune each round. I am going to try
    and help the situation be as good as it can be though (use a powder that the disc measure handles best versus one that it handles worst)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigboat View Post
    Don't know if it would help or not but I remembered seeing this a long time ago. Took a while to find it again.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...280412-Baffles
    yeah I've been thinking of this..I wonder if the disc measure performance varies significantly depending on how much the powder reservoir is loaded..I may test that

Another vote for WST and Bullseye. WST is a very clean burning powder and accurate in all my 45ACP handguns. Bullseye is very accurate as well but not as clean. Both measure very well in my system.
    I use a Lee Classic cast turret press and the Lee Pro Auto Disk measure. There is a pert in the measure that can be replaced if the measure begins leaking. I have yet to replace one in thousands of rounds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Suspect we won't find that too often. Yes, I have some.

Boolit Master

TiteGroup

I load with the use of three different Lee Auto Disk measures, one is a Pro, one is a old model converted with the kit and the 3rd is an old model with the rectangle hopper that I use a Micro adjustable disk in.

With this I load Hodgdon HP-38, Accurate AA#2 and #5 and Ramshot Silhouette. I am loading 380acp, 9mm, 38Spl and 45acp using this measure and these powders. I consistently hold within .1gr and I do not mean +.1gr/-.1gr. I mean that if my target weight is 4.0gr it will consistently drop 4.0 to 3.9 gr... Very seldom do I find a heavy drop.

I tell people that these measures using these powders are to the point of being boring they are so consistent. As for leakage, I spill more than I leak.

I also started long ago in my log book to mark notes as to which cavity I used and then subsequent loading get marked with weight and cavity on their labels. For every powder and caliber used I have been able to find 2 loadings that will work well in my guns. One may be near starting load and the next near middle ground or it will be one just below middle and one near max.

This has allowed me to eliminate fooling with adjusting micrometer style powder measures. Just grab a needed cavity, drop it in the measure and away I go.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    Suspect we won't find that too often. Yes, I have some.
    Yes, it's discontinued...for some time, in fact.
    But Since there is reported shortages of powder on retail shelves, I figure if the OP starts searching gunshows, he might find some vintage cans....I also knew everyone else would be giving him the newest and bestest suggestions
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    My lee perfect powder measure also usually Drops say 4 gr at 4 gr or 3.9 hardly ever over. It does leak some times but I just put a tray under it and dump it back in the measure.

Boolit Master

I bought a little disk with 4 holes in it that was 3D printed for this reason and I haven’t seen a difference. I just don’t think powder has the same flow characteristics as water to the effect that a lot of it changes the compression in the drum chamber. I could be wrong, I’m only in year two of college....at 31.... yah hopefully somebody else can say yay or nay to my findings lol.

Have you thought about using a powder cop? Might be a possible solution. Like I said though I would load up and shoot first before I start worrying about it.
    90% professional 10% mature

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast