Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: My guns that I don't cast for are getting dusty.

Boolit Master

My guns that I don't cast for are getting dusty.

Seems I have lost interest in shooting some of my guns. The ones I don't cast boolits for. 5.45 x 39, .223, 7.62 x 39 and so on. And the guns I am interested in obtaining are all good cast shooting candidates. Even my .22 rimfires are sitting idle. Never saw this coming when I started melting lead. It has turned out to be a very rewarding and enjoyable hobby.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

I feel that, to a degree. I judge any new potential purchases by their cast bullet worthyness. I don't have calibers that aren't cast friendly currently. I do still enjoy my 22s though.

The 22-250 still gets used a lot but the 5.56, .300BO, .243, .250 Savage and 25-06 are getting a lot of rest these days. And I ponder my next cast shooter project daily......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    i think the 223,300bo and 7.62x39 will always stay with me for when the shtf,but the 30-30,32spl,35 rem and the 308 shoot cast well so they will surely see more use

Boolit Master
    Cosmic- Look at it this way, all guns are good candidates for cast. Some just take a little more work than others. It's just as rewarding and enjoyable when you get the tough ones to shoot cast well.

Nothing wrong in casting for 7.62x39 IMO.

I chose to go with a considerably larger bullet and dropped charge accordingly. My Yugo SKS girl seems to like them big and long.
    It was shooting them as accurately as my old eyes could manage iron sights at 50 yards. Quarter sized pieces of Clay Pigeon did not have a chance. And it rang steel with authority.

Nothing wrong with .223Rem either. Either buy a big batch of blemmed bullets or get a 55 gr cast bullet mold.
    I had very good accuracy with 2 loads and Red Dot. One with gas check, one subsonic without. Either one would fill a pot with squirrels and do it quietly.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Seems I have lost interest in shooting some of my guns. The ones I don't cast boolits for. 5.45 x 39, .223, 7.62 x 39 and so on. And the guns I am interested in obtaining are all good cast shooting candidates. Even my .22 rimfires are sitting idle. Never saw this coming when I started melting lead. It has turned out to be a very rewarding and enjoyable hobby.
    You're not alone on this one. I've also noticed my velocities have dropped considerably also. Seems the only guns I load to factory spec any more are my M1's and my 1911. My 30-30 is sub sonic, and my 30-06 is my now my 30-30.
    And I'm strangely comfortable with this.....

Boolit Buddy
    I cast for my 300 BLK . Its easy peasy !! I would think 7.62 x 39 would be just as easy . I can and do cast for my 223 , but I also stock pile a lot of jacketed for it as well. I do like cast powdercaoted out of my AR at about 2000 fps.
    Last edited by cstrickland; 08-07-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Boolit Master

I've never let it limit me. If jacketed is cheaper/ simpler, I typically use it. What I love the most about casting, aside from the massive cost savings, is the ability to handload oddball and obsolete calibers. I've only tested the water compared to many other guys here. 8MM Nambu and .38 S&W come to mind for me.

For whatever reason, I don't see the fun it trying to coax cast to work with a non cast friendly platform. That said, I'm not saying I don't have some interest in those calibers or guns, it's just in my mind a reason to swage your own jacketed bullets. Maybe it's because I want to get into swaging something fierce.

My interests mainly are cast friendly though in both caliber and gun. Straight wall pistol caliber revolvers and rifles, 30-30, 30-40, 30-06.

Boolit Buddy
    I was going the same way, only shooting my 45/70, 44 mag. 357 mag, & 308 with cast. Then I decided, for only about 22$ each I can get molds for 223 & 7mm, which I did now shooting cast in them also. After handling those 200 to 350 gr. boolits sure different handlings that little 55gr. 223. I have to use tweezers to install gas checks & powder coat. But surprisingly both 223 & 7mm shoot great in my rifles. Both have added too my reloading & shooting fun.

Boolit Buddy
    as long as you spell that with a D and not an R, your not doing anything wrong
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Was lookin at a 22-250 the other day then got to thinkin it would be pretty much worthless since i shoot pretty much exclusively cast
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Was lookin at a 22-250 the other day then got to thinkin it would be pretty much worthless since i shoot pretty much exclusively cast
    Actually I found it to work well at .22 magnum velocity with its 14" twist. Accurate enough for mud turtles at 100 yards.

Boolit Grand Master
    There will come a day when bullets will be very expensive and/or regulated. Being able to cast or swage bullets will be a valuable skill. Although, I do not cast for 5.56, or .308 (my hunting and SHTF) rifles I have molds and sizing dies for them.

I have 2-3k .308 bullets so I doubt I will ever need to cast for those rifles, but it is wise to be prepared. I have 10k .224 bullets and will get more once things get back to normal and prices drop a bit.

Most of our rifle shooting is with .38/.357 carbines. Very cheap and easy to cast/reload. OK for plinking and coyotes out to 100 yards. Trigger time is trigger time. Having cast loads for the .308 would not do much for our needs so I have only done a bit of work with cast in that caliber. See little point in turning one of the .308’s into a .30/30 as I have three 30/30’s already.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Actually I found it to work well at .22 magnum velocity with its 14" twist. Accurate enough for mud turtles at 100 yards.

Quit doin that yore givin me the excuse to spend money i shouldn't be spending
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

My 7.62x39 AK is a "good cast shooting candidate."

Actually, that cast bullet load works better than Tulammo. :/