RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

Thread: Are we living in the end times?

Boolit Master
    That is the version I read.

I started out with the NIV and read it for years and years, but I did not find it to be terribly accurate. I then tried the NASB for a while, (I have heard that it is the most accurate modern translation) but I did not find it to be as readable as the NIV.

When the ESV came out, I checked it against the NASB and the King James version long enough to determine that (for me) it was the best balance between accuracy and readability that I could find.

I know it is not a real translation (it is a revision of the RSV) and I always said that I would never read a paraphrased version of Scripture, but I like it very much.

When you add the fact that Crossway publishers seem to be in business to get the Bible into as many hands as possible with a minimum profit motive (they may be totally non-profit, I don't know), I am sold on the ESV.

It may help you to know that no one agrees with my reasoning on this matter, but hey, such is life.

This is probably more information than you wanted, but I hope I answered your question.

Regards,

exile
    Last edited by exile; 05-03-2024 at 10:36 PM.
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post

It may help you to know that no one agrees with my reasoning on this matter, but hey, such is life.
    Are you at peace with our Father on this matter? Then tell everyone to pound sand....you clearly spend much time immersed in that version of His word....it surprises some men to know....you do NOT need their permission to study whatever you choose.
    I stick with the KJV myself because of James Strong's concordance. My go to study Bible is Bullinger's companion bible but I would rather see a man study hard under his own choice of translation ....under the tutelage of our Father of course!....than some one trick pony that reads a few verses and mouths off for an hour.
    I have seen verses in the NIV I do NOT like though. Meanings of the Word changed completely because of the work of some scribe. These 'scribes' are tares and will pay dearly for it.
    Isaiah 45 - I AM the Lord and there is none else

Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    That is the version I read.

I started out with the NIV and read it for years and years, but I did not find it to be terribly accurate. I then tried the NASB for a while, (I have heard that it is the most accurate modern translation) but I did not find it to be as readable as the NIV.

When the ESV came out, I checked it against the NASB and the King James version long enough to determine that (for me) it was the best balance between accuracy and readability that I could find.

I know it is not a real translation (it is a revision of the RSV) and I always said that I would never read a paraphrased version of Scripture, but I like it very much.

When you add the fact that Crossway publishers seem to be in business to get the Bible into as many hands as possible with a minimum profit motive (they may be totally non-profit, I don't know), I am sold on the ESV.

This is probably more information than you wanted, but I hope I answered your question.

Regards,

exile
    hey there.
    I was curious. I've stuck with the KJV because of all the reference materials that are keyed to it that makes study easier for me.

Boolit Master
    The post 1978 NIV is something I will not read. I too have Strong's concordance and my grandmother's King James bible, so my bases are covered.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

I've found the Green's Interlinear to be very helpful as well. It's available electronically on the internet now but I do much better with the printed page. Seems like every time I search for stuff on line there's just oodles and scads of websites to choose from, sending the world throughout the world.

Boolit Master

Are we living in the end times?
    I doubt it. Being a student of history I have noticed that every 50 to 80 years people get tired of peace and prosparity and start razing hell because they begin to believe the lies of politicans and the news media.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I doubt it. Being a student of history I have noticed that every 50 to 80 years people get tired of peace and prosparity and start razing hell because they begin to believe the lies of politicans and the news media.
    You may be right... I wonder during some of the below conflicts if folks were screaming END TIMES, especially during some of the Big ones.

I will say that our current environment feels different (to me) then past years but I am sure each felt unique in one way or the other to the folks at the time.

We will just have to keep watching as things unfold... That is why the Good Lord laid things out for us in Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21

Wars and Rumors of Wars of just the 20th century

1900–2000
    Acehnese War (1873–1904)
    Philippine-American War (1899–1902)
    South African War (1899–1902)
    The War of a Thousand Days (1899–1903)
    Boxer Rebellion (1900–01)
    Moro Wars (1901–13)
    Russo-Japanese War (1904–05)
    Pig War (1906–09)
    Mexican Revolution (1910–20)
    Italo-Turkish War (1911–12)
    World War I (1914–18)
    Baltic War of Liberation (1918–20)
    Russian Civil War (1918–20)
    Russo-Polish War (1919–20)
    Rif War (1921–26)
    Chaco War (1932–35)
    Italo-Ethiopian War (1935–36)
    Spanish Civil War (1936–39)
    Sino-Japanese War (1937–45)
    Phony War (1939–40; no actual hostilities)
    Russo-Finnish War (1939–40)
    World War II (1939–45)
    Greek Civil War (1944–45; 1946–49)
    Arab-Israeli wars (1948–49; 1956; 1967; 1973; 1982)
    Korean War (1950–53)
    Algerian War (1954–62)
    Vietnam War (1954–75)
    Six-Day War (1967)
    War of Attrition (1969–70)
    Yom Kippur War (1973)
    Dirty War (1976–83)
    Afghan War (1978–92)
    Iran-Iraq War (1980–88)
    Falkland Islands War (1982)
    Persian Gulf War (1990–91)
    Bosnian conflict (1992–95)