Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Almost finished with a homemade gas check maker

Boolit Buddy

Almost finished with a homemade gas check maker

Using the plans in this section, I am almost done with a 30 cal gas check maker. I need to redo the forming pin as I am not satisfied with how it looks (OCD) and perhaps a bit of polishing. But other than that, I am very happy with how it functions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200805_180741385.jpeg   IMG_20200805_180516631.jpg   IMG_20200805_180500062.jpg   IMG_20200805_180451508.jpg   IMG_20200805_180344295.jpg  

Moderator Emeritus

Looks good. I keep saying someday I will do things like that. My neck/back laugh at me but someday. Congrats.

Boolit Master

What was your method for cutting the slit in the disc making die?

Boolit Buddy
    Nice to see! I've built three that look just like that. A 30 cal, 35 cal and 45 cal. Good sense of self accomplishment in those. It's remarkably simple once you've built the first one. Nice to not have to buy checks anymore, but, still have to find .010" Cu.

Chris

PS. I used an abrasive cutoff disk in an arbor on my mill to cut the slot. Tried like hell to use a slitting saw, kept ruining them.

Boolit Master
    Looks awesome!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks everyone.

Nueces - I use a slitting saw on a homemade arbor. The saw is about 3.5-4 inches. I also made a holder to support the disk making die because the first one I made the slit became unlevel due to the side pressure I placed on the part. I could have been too aggressive in my cut to cause it but this has helped me. It also allows me to have the part submerged to the point the saw rides right above the holder and allow the part to be coated in cutting oil which has helped me to preserve the teeth on the saw. Note - it takes me a while to cut the part as I only take about 10 thou per pass and I go slow. Partly because I really don't know what I am doing and I do not have a proper mill. I use a Harbor Freight Mill/Drill which it better than nothing.

Chris - I tried the abrasive cutoff disk but my attempt at a arbor was poor at best and wouldn't properly hold the disc. I will have to try to make a better arbor.

Boolit Buddy
    Slitting saw setup

Attachment 265796

Boolit Mold
    What are you making the gas checks out of? I'm possibly interested in making . 501 checks for my Beowulf 440's I cast and PC.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon700 View Post
    What are you making the gas checks out of? I'm possibly interested in making . 501 checks for my Beowulf 440's I cast and PC.
    I am using Amerimax Aluminum Flashing part number 68104 for my 30 cal checks. This aluminum measures about .014 or so which provides me with an adequate thickness to ensure a good crimp. Now for my 35 cal checks which I made for a plain based gas check, I use about anything I can get my hand on as I have not found any advantage for the thicker aluminum. The current batch of check material I am using for my plain based ones measures about .005 or so.

Boolit Buddy
    I used the same arbor that I got when I bought slitting saw blades. It's an R8 setup with a stepped end that allows for multiple I.D. tools. The abrasive disks I just buy at Home Depot. I just get the thinnest they have that are about 4" in diameter. This setup seems to work for me. I do take little nibbles at a time. But, I have never broken or even worn out a disk yet. I ruined a couple slitting saws, oiled them good too. It's just possible that I have something other than the 1018 steel spec'ed in the drawings as I did buy my steel on Ebay.

I too have just a China mill, It's a medium sized unit at about 800#. But it gets the job done. I am proud of my lathe, 1946 Logan 10X24. Made right here in the USA. I've completely re-built it now and it's good as brand new and is a pleasure to use.

I've been buying my Cu sheet on Ebay as well. 0.2mm is what I've been using.

Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Chris, I will have to look into the R8 arbor you described. You can see the arbor I cobbled together to hold my slitting saw in the attached picture. Not pretty but it works. I would like to be able to try the abrasive disc method as running my mill at a slow speed, combined with the lack of HP on the motor allows the teeth to grab every now and then. My china mill is no where near that heavy, perhaps one day I can upgrade. My lathe is a vintage 1950 Atlas 10-48 which I picked up 6 or 7 years ago and taught myself what little I know. I only wish I knew a machinist in my area to bounce ideas off of but I'm getting a bit better every time. I haven't tried Cu sheets yet and will have to try that soon.

For slot I am using small milling machine and $2-3 HSS 2.5" saw blades from ebay (china) and home made arbour (easy enough to make if you have lathe) I also purchased multi step arbour from Grizzly but it limits cutting diameter, with my home made arbour I made slots even for 50 cal. I run at no more than 500 rpm and I don't make passes I just cut straight across and sideways at the end. DRO helps tremendously here, if you do it right the blades last a long time. I ruined a couple blades at first but my last blade I am on I must have made 50 cuts and still sharp. I did switch to 12L14 for very clean cuts.
    P.S. Looks like prices went up now on the saw blades.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I will have to try your idea dimaprok of a single pass. I do keep the speed slow as I too burned up a saw or two. I am jealous of those with a DRO but I am hoping when/if I upgrade my mill to head in that direction. I also want to publicly acknowledge and thank you for the help/guidance you provided me in the past with questions regarding these check makers. I don't know if it is wishful thinking or not but it seems as though every time I make one it is a bit better than the last. I will have to try some 12L14 and will get some next time I source some steel. I have it in 1/2 but not in 1 inch or 7/8.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I try to look at # 7 above, this is what I get :

vBulletin Message
    Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Boolit Buddy
    Let's see if this one is visible

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slitting saw.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	265914

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, much better.
    For over 15 yrs. whenever one of those attachments appears like # 7 above , I can never see it.

Thanks,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by plus1hdcp View Post
    I will have to try your idea dimaprok of a single pass. I do keep the speed slow as I too burned up a saw or two. I am jealous of those with a DRO but I am hoping when/if I upgrade my mill to head in that direction. I also want to publicly acknowledge and thank you for the help/guidance you provided me in the past with questions regarding these check makers. I don't know if it is wishful thinking or not but it seems as though every time I make one it is a bit better than the last. I will have to try some 12L14 and will get some next time I source some steel. I have it in 1/2 but not in 1 inch or 7/8.
    You're welcome. I try to give back whatever I learned. One day I might make a video on how I make one from start to finish. I know that I had lots of questions when I started and some things came as trial and error.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk