Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: 357 Maximum Cast Boolits Wanted For Testing

Boolit Buddy

357 Maximum Cast Boolits Wanted For Testing

I am making a request for cast Boolits!

These Boolits will be used in a newly built 357 Maximum rifle, and will be used in the "accuracy testing" of this gun -

Here is a list of specs on this test gun -

H&R / barrel stub

Stainless steel barrel turned down to the same diameter as the barrel stub

Barrel length is 25 1/2"

Bore/groove diameter is .348/.358

Barrel twist is 1-13"

Barrel has been specifically "throated" for cast Boolits

Forend has been pillar and glass bedded

The butt stock is weighted

Scope base has been modified to 5 #8-40 screws and the base has been bedded to the barrel

Trigger has been adjusted down to 2 pounds 14 ounces

For willing participants, I am asking for "9" Boolits, for 3 3-shot groups with 3 different powders.

You pick the distance you want them tested at - 75 yards, 100 yards or 150 yards.

I would need a bullet description, as well as your screen name here of Cast Boolits, so I can give YOU the credit for the use of YOUR Boolits.

Considering the twist rate I have chosen, I am looking for Boolits within a weight range of 180 gr. to 220 gr. / plain base or gas checked, coated or uncoated, your choice.

The number of Boolits you would like tested, is strictly left up to you.

Test day will be set for September 5th. which is a month away and on a Saturday. If I get in a lot of bullets for testing, then time spent at the range will extend through that Sunday as well. Then on Monday September 7th., I'll post a range report with your screen name, bullet description, Boolit picture, targets and range at which they were shot.

All loads will be at the upper end of factory specs, with 3 different test powders. Brass will be match prepped and test primers will be Remington 7 1/2.

The rest is up to you guys.

Send me a PM if you are interested in doing this, or if you have any questions.

I look forward to doing this, and hope some of you will take me up on my offer.

Boolit Bub
    I'll bite. I have some lee 200gr .358 RF GC and i'd like for you to do two 9 shot groups. One set with hornady factory copper checks and one with my homemade aluminum ones. Sound fun?

Edit: Sweet rifle by the way

Boolit Buddy
    Chickenpot,

thank you for your interest! I look forward to testing them.

Thank you!

Boolit Buddy
    chickenpot,

since you were the only one to send in any cast bullets, let me start by saying Thank You for sending them!

Here is the information that I have for these specific bullets:

Top row -

200 gr. Lee w/ Hornady Gas Check

Sized .3585

Single lube groove

Bullet weights varied from 203.4 gr. to 203.7 gr.

Unknown BHN

White Label 2500

.................................................. .................................................. ..................................................

Bottom row -

200 gr. Lee w/ Flashing Gas Check

Sized .3585

Single lube groove

Bullet weights varied from 203.8 gr. to 204.2 gr.

Unknown BHN

White Label 2500

My choice of reloading components.

Chickenpot had asked that I shoot a 9-shot group with each set of bullets, and at a shooting distance of 150 yards.

I taped a 3X5 index card to a black piece of poster paper, as that gave me my best sight picture on the day I shot these groups.

The barrel on the test gun was lapped using molten lead poured into the bore after all machine work was finished, and was lapped starting with a 600 grit compound, and finishing up with a 3,200 grit compound. This gun had never been shot until now.

As stated earlier, the "throat" section of this 357 Maximum chamber was cut specifically for Cast Boolits.

So, starting with a spotlessly clean bore, I fired one fouling shot, finished setting things up, and shot 4 rounds over the Oehler 35P chronograph, with a velocity reading of 2,200 fps, with a standard deviation of 12 fps..

Those 4 rounds were also used to get on target at 150 yards, and after 30 minutes, I shot each of the remaining 9 rounds at 1 minute intervals.

This was my first 9 shot group consisting of use of the Hornady Gas Checked bullets.

This 9-shot group measured 2 1/2" X 3" -

This 9-shot group measured 4 3/4" X 2" with the far left bullet being a called flyer, and with that bullet removed, the 8-shot group measured 2 1/16" X 3 1/8" -

After the first 15 round were shot, the barrel was scrubbed and cleaned, bore scoped and cleaned again till it was spotlesss!

The second set of bullets, as the first, were chronographed, and these showed an extreme spread of 36 fps. from highest to lowest, but still averaged 2,200 fps. for 200 gr. cast bullets from a custom barreled 357 Maximum.

I also have to say that only "1" load was used with all 30 rounds loaded and tested, and with a proper load development, I believe that this gun with these bullets could have been considerably more accurate!

And for someone who does not shoot Cast Boolits, I believe that these 200 gr. Boolits in this gun would kill any deer out to 150 yards or a bit further without any issues whatsoever! Go just a little high on the front shoulder, and I believe that where a deer is standing, is also where he is gonna fall, as this particular bullet and load would carry over 1,300 ft. pounds of energy at 150 yards.

Boolit Bub
    Can't say that i'm dissatisfied with these results! Those accuracy tests would pass in my book, for some others on this forum probably not so much. Thanks for taking the time and effort to test these out in your new rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    This was just one randomly picked load, without any load development whatsoever!

With a proper load development though, I could see these particular bullets doing much better in this 357 Maximum rifle.

I went out the next day with this gun and Speer's 180 gr. Hot-Cor bullets, and after load development, 5 shot groups at 100 yards averaged just over 3/4".

A very nice rifle build. But isn’t 2200 fps awfully fast to push a lead bullet? Your next day range session with the speer 180gr sounds very promising. Btw, what’s your rig weigh? Years ago a buddy had a blackhawk in 357 max, shot a nice hole through one of my mild steel targets on my plate rail. A powerhouse of a caliber, should be good deer medicine.

Boolit Buddy
    2,200 fps. for a cast Boolit!?!? I'm not a cast bullet shooter, which is why I asked you guys for help with providing some Boolits for testing. But to answer your question, I honestly don't know if the velocity was too slow or too fast, but I did know that gas checked Boolits could be shot faster, while leaving a lot less lead in the barrel.

A couple more groups yesterday with the Speer Hot-Cor bullets turned in 4 more 3/4" groups at 100 yards, so have a promising load for this gun, even though I won't keep it.

I finished another 357 Maximum rifle with a 1.250" diameter bull barrel that was build for speed with 158 gr. Jacketed bullets, and with what I am able to do with it, all other 357 Maximum rifles have gone up for sale. I will however really miss my Ruger #1 and Savage bolt action, but this new gun is putting them to shame, and they all group well under an inch at 100 yards with their preferred bullet and load.

If I get a chance, I'll do a post on the new gun if anyone is interested.

I have shot a lot of deer and coyotes with various 357 Maximum rifles, and for the relatively small size of the cartridge, it's overall performance can be and is quite impressive!