RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on .44 magnum semi wad cutters

Boolit Bub

Question on .44 magnum semi wad cutters

Just purchased some 240 gr. semi wad cutters from Falcon bullets for my Super Blackhawk. I have been reloading a while but this is my first attempt with a semi wad cutter. My Buddy and best friend has reloaded these but Im sad to say he passed away two weeks ago, cancer, or he could of told me. Do I need any special seating die? Im using a single stage Lee press. It seems his were loaded under the top ring, but Im not that sure. I dont really see a crimp ring has a blue lube ring with a beveled base. Thanks for any advice. Ive experience with 200 and 225 gr. hard cast rnfp, but never these and of course all four of my manuals arent showing anything exactly like the ones i bought. I know to go by weight not style, just being careful. Thx in advance

Boolit Bub
    Also you folks have some load data for these using Unique, and 2400 powder? Much appreciated

Boolit Bub

Question on semi wad cutter for .44 Magnum

For plinking only. Meant to add hardness of these are 17

Boolit Master
    The photo on Falcon website show a commercial 240 cast SWC with a crimp groove. You crimp in the crimp groove.

Boolit Master

Under a 240 gr boolit i like to use 7.5 gr of Unique but all I'm doing is punching paper and banging steel this is a light but accurate load
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    They should look like this when loaded.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85413567-935D-470F-AC73-34BFCCF7174D.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	265779

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Under a 240 gr boolit i like to use 7.5 gr of Unique but all I'm doing is punching paper and banging steel this is a light but accurate load
    +1 for Unique 7.5 gr under a 240 gr. boolit in a 44 Mag case. Great plinking load.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My favorite recreational loads for the .44 Magnum use the Accurate 43-206H "stump-nosed" SWC, which weighs 213-grains in 1 to 30 tin-lead, with 7.5 grains of Bullseye. I load 6 grains of Bullseye with the same bullet in the .44 Special or .44-40 for 950 fps in a 5-1/2" revolver. Larry Gibson has pressure tested these and they are confirmed safe and satisfactory for the old guns.

Attachment 265789Attachment 265790
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Outpost75, please tell us about that old revolver? Thanks,

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    Here are some loaded SWC pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 503_1103.jpg   44.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    Outpost75, please tell us about that old revolver? Thanks,

exile
    Colt letter says was shipped to Belknap Hardware Company, Louisville, KY April 6, 1905 as purchasing agent for Baldwin Phelps Detective Agency. Is a documented West Virginia Coal Wars Gun captured by my great grandfather during the Battle of Blair Mountain. Handed down through the family, grandfather was notorious moonshiner and poacher. Gun fed family, friends and neighbors during the Great Depression using handloads assembled with Ideal tong tool with bullet mold in end, which I also have, using a US Ctg. Co. .32 ACP case soldered onto wire as dip measure to measure 6 grains of Bullseye. That load is established tradition and has family history.

My kinfolk knew the Hatfields and McCoys, but gave them a wide birth and due respect and didn't mess with them. Great Grandfather was indicted but not convicted and enjoyed his retirement as a free man, serving as a school teacher and court bailiff.

Attachment 265793Attachment 265794Attachment 265795
    Last edited by Outpost75; 08-05-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    What a great old colt to have Outpost ! And part of family history.
    Last edited by onelight; 08-05-2020 at 09:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    They should look like this when loaded.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85413567-935D-470F-AC73-34BFCCF7174D.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	265779
    Kinda strange quoting myself the 44 mag was loaded with 45 year old RCBS dies.
    This 44 special was loaded with a 3 year old Lee set , sorry Lee haters but the Lee dies did a nicer job in my opinion , but they both shoot good .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77103E70-1AE7-41CD-B6BF-CAC9F02E3CD8.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	265797

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Colt letter says was shipped to Belknap Hardware Company, Louisville, KY April 6, 1905 as purchasing agent for Baldwin Phelps Detective Agency. Is a documented West Virginia Coal Wars Gun captured by my great grandfather during the Battle of Blair Mountain. Handed down through the family, grandfather was notorious moonshiner and poacher. Gun fed family, friends and neighbors during the Great Depression using handloads assembled with Ideal tong tool with bullet mold in end, which I also have, using a US Ctg. Co. .32 ACP case soldered onto wire as dip measure to measure 6 grains of Bullseye. That load is established tradition and has family history.

My kinfolk knew the Hatfields and McCoys, but gave them a wide birth and due respect and didn't mess with them. Great Grandfather was indicted but not convicted and enjoyed his retirement as a free man, serving as a school teacher and court bailiff.

Attachment 265793Attachment 265794Attachment 265795
    Outpost, what a great story! Made my day! Thank you. exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Bub

Question on semi wad cutter for .44 Magnum

I dont really see a crimp ring on these, assume I just seat until it bottoms out on the top protruding ring? And then crimp?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Shot View Post
    +1 for Unique 7.5 gr under a 240 gr. boolit in a 44 Mag case. Great plinking load.
    I use 7 grains of Unique under a .431" Oregon Trail laser cast 240 grain SWC for 44 Magnum loads in my Rossi R92 = 1050 fps. Accurate and very comfortable to shoot.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

This is the 240 SWC Falcon shows on their web site [also PC'd]. Is this the one you have? If so there is a crimp groove. It's the smaller groove in the drive band in front of the lube groove before the WC shoulder.

Attachment 265828
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redneck44 View Post
    I dont really see a crimp ring on these, assume I just seat until it bottoms out on the top protruding ring? And then crimp?
    Do your bullets look like the pictures I posted ? Those are crimped in the crimp groove . It's a groove just like the bullet you see in Mal Paso's post .
    If you can post a picture it might help us see the bullet design.
    I am a slow poster Larry came through again .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by redneck44 View Post
    Can you post a pic or link to the manufacturer? Not until just recently have I seen any true revolver bullets without a crimp groove...

OOPS! Missed Mr. Gibson's post...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    Yes thats the ones I purchased.I loaded up 10 at 8 grains, and they shot great. Low recoil and very accurate at just 10 yards. Really appreciate all the tips. Thx again to all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast