Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Crescent Butt plate hawken recoil

Boolit Mold

Crescent Butt plate hawken recoil

G'day,

Considering buying a new hawken at the moment but hesitant on the crescent butt plate. I know to comfortably shoot one it requires a different style of shouldering but it's just not how I shoot.

My question is, is there a commerical recoil pad for hawken style crescent butt's that will take the edge off the kick?

Boolit Master

I too do not like the crescent butt plate. It was normally shot off the shoulder joint, a place that I find very uncomfortable. I bought a recoil pad for my shoulder that lets me shoot with the rifle in my normal position. Otherwise I would just cut the crescent top and bottom off and add a spacer to get the length right. james

P.A.S.T. used to offer recoil pads that you strap around your chest and adjustable to fit your shoulder. I have one that's umpteen years old, but it works well for heavy recoiling rifles, including those with a crescent butt plate.

Boolit Buddy
    I put a Shock Eater recoil pad on a crescent butt rifle and it works great!

How about something like this with a shaped pad inside the rear of the cover to "take out" the crescent ?

Boolit Master

I load my Hawken with about 60 gr pyrodex and find that it does not hurt me to shoot it.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

The Past strap on recoil pad is what I have been using on crescent butt plates since the early 80's Maven. It works great. I normally shoot from 90 to 100 grains of FFFG in my 50 caliber Hawkin that I made myself way back in the late 70's. I made it from a blueprint that I bought from the Colorado State Museum. It is an exact copy of The Modena rifle. james

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigboat View Post
    How about something like this with a shaped pad inside the rear of the cover to "take out" the crescent ?
    Where did this come from?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    The Past strap on recoil pad is what I have been using on crescent butt plates since the early 80's Maven. It works great. I normally shoot from 90 to 100 grains of FFFG in my 50 caliber Hawkin that I made myself way back in the late 70's. I made it from a blueprint that I bought from the Colorado State Museum. It is an exact copy of The Modena rifle. james
    These stouter hunting loads are what I'd be looking to shoot. I'm just not sure of the practicality for my style of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushfire View Post
    Where did this come from?
    It's just something I picked up online. I have a Rossi 92 rifle with a crescent buttplate that I'm going to make one for.

Boolit Master
    Have not had an issue with crescent butt plates on my ML's, but all had fairly large plates. A small butt stock and plate means it is easy to end up with the point of the comb up against muscle or bone. Grinding back the point on the top of the plate if needed will help. Rifles were 50's and a 54 with heavy hunting loads.

The "crescent" plate rifle was designed to be shot off hand, not from a bench! I have not found black powder muzzle loaders, up to .50 cal, to be really bad until you start approaching 100gr loads. Now the .54 cal is another story, where the extra "drop" in the stock combined with the curved butt plate just hurts me from any shooting position. Pigboat has a great solution which doesn't detract from the beauty of the firearm, while substantially reducing the shape edges of the bare metal plate. I have a similar covering on a 1873 rifle in a pistol cartridge and while it is not a hard recoiling round (weight and all), it works. (Be advised, any attachment of a pad or cover will change the length of pull and "fit" of the firearm of which it is attached.) My .02

Boolit Mold
    I appreciate the way they're meant to be shot but it's just not my style of shooting. I do a lot of the western style elk hunting I guess you'd say so plenty of my shots are taken from prone. Between that and load development I'm not too keen on them.

A quick solution that might work for ya:

Sew a common kitchen hot pad inside your shooting jacket.
    A upholstery or shoe repair shop will have a big enough sewing machine to do it, or sew it by hand.
    It'll about get you to what the service rifle type event the shooters have.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfire View Post
    I appreciate the way they're meant to be shot but it's just not my style of shooting. I do a lot of the western style elk hunting I guess you'd say so plenty of my shots are taken from prone. Between that and load development I'm not too keen on them.
    Bushfire,

A few years ago at a yard sale I got 3 rubber slip-on recoil pads for a buck. They instantly tamed the .54 Hawken recoil of my 100 grain Maxi load and the 90 grain .50 caliber Maxi loads.

I hope this helps.

Adam