Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Pure Lead Purchase

Thumbs down Pure Lead Purchase

Today I lucked into 25 pounds of pure Lead for $15.00 from a fellow who casts Lead Fishing Sinkers. It was all he had left after closing his shop down. Ad the cost of gas I figure the final cost was about $20.00. Hopefully I will get to do a good casting session in the next day or 2. Gotta work around the Honey-do list of course. Todays find puts me at 75 ponds of soft lead not cast and 250 pounds of Hard Lead (mostly Isotope Bottles) already cast into 1 pound Ingots. Yeah I know I am just a beginner. I need to get me some more molds.

Vendor Sponsor

These are some of the best ingot molds you can find:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-now-in-stock!

PM me and I'll get some in the mail to you.

I have Ingot molds , I was talking about BOOLET molds, I am waiting for next week (SS Check deposit) to order a set of molds for my .40S&W
    And a set for my.45acp.

Boolit Master
    Just keep looking and asking.
    Stop at yardsales, flea markets , junk stores. Ask
    My best pewter score was found at a salvation army store. i asked if they had any pewter or cast iron pots turned in that where bent. Sure enough out back in a small bin where the "no good " pots and pans. 2.5lbs pewter and a few cast iron pots.
    Took me a few years to get my lead channels flowing.
    i get good clean wheel weights from one old timer who trades for the straight wall rifle cartridges i muster up over the year.
    We trade market price value. He gives me $30 worth of lead at scrap price for $30 worth of brass at scrap price.
    Works out well.

Boolit Master

What molds you planning on ordering anyway ? I am presently waiting on a pair from Arsenal molds for 40 S&W , as my MP mold will not feed reliably in the Smith and Wesson M&P , was thinking of another 45 mold , but still undecided on it .

Being a newbie to bullet casting at the moment I have 2 RCBS molds, a 2 cavity .490 round ball mold and a single cavity .50 cal Flat base conicalwith Lube grooves. I am looking at Lee molds(Pretty much as a budget driven choice). To me the casting is half the fun.

Banned
    Find out what the local scrap yards are paying for lead,

print cards with your name and phone number offering more than the scrap yard pays

go to roofing supply stores and ask to put a card on their bulitin board'

a lot of soft lead at the scrap yard is from roof tear offs, roof jacks, valleys, pans, -----

The nearest scrap yard to me in WA is 2 hours away no lead accepted or sold.. I can cross the Columbia river to a scrapyard in Oregon but they won't accept or sell lead if. Don't know if.

I do hit yard sales, I got my Lee 10 pound Furnace, the 2 RCBS Molds,a set of Lee .490 molds, 5 jars of TC Bore Butter a bag of Pillow Ticking Patches for $50 at one yard Sale about a year or so ago. Lead has not shown up so far here on the Long Beach Peninsula, That doesn't me from looking.

Boolit Grand Master

Ask your friends, family members and co-workers to be on the lookout for lead. I call this networking. As Mac1911 said, it takes time to get your network up and running. I'm also finding out that it also takes some time to get it shut down. I'm still getting lead from contacts that I made years ago. Try to learn about the things that were once made of lead and always be looking. Its still out there although its more plentiful in some places than others.

Boolit Buddy
    If you ever get up to Bremerton, Navy Yard Metals sells lead to the public. I know that it is 3 hours away, so only an option if you were that far north for some other reason.

If you can score either a whole or a partial sailboat keel, you would be set up pretty well. Many people turn there noses up at sailboat keels, but if you can find 500 to a 1000 pounds for cheap or even free, why not. Get it analyzed, buy some Superhard and some pewter and your set.
    JM

We make it to the Bremerton area a couple times a year. We like the Exchange and Commissary at Bangor, Probably be worth a trip to the Shipyard If I can Talk the Wifeinto it.