Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Zouave thread pattern?

Boolit Master

Zouave thread pattern?

Does anyone know the thread pattern on the nipple of a Zoli 1863 Zouave .58 caliber carbine? I have one and I need a cleaning tube and a spare nipple for it but I do not know and do not have a thread gauge to determine the thread pattern. Thanks in advance, james

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    If it is a Zoli, it should take a 5/16 - 24 musket nipple. I re-barreled my Zouave with a Zoli barrel and it took a 5/16 - 24. Go to Track of the Wolf and look in their nipple section or call them and they should be able to confirm it.

Boolit Man

Zouave Thread Pitch

Hi, I just pulled the cone on my Zoli Zouave (which I bought used some years ago, my first muzzle loader) . The cone is aftermarket and the Thread Pitch is 8mm X 1MM as measured by a harbor fright digital caliper. And thank you for the inspiration to take my Zoli off the rack, pull the cone and re oil the bore.

Boolit Buddy
    Be aware 5/16=.3125". 8mm=.315".
    M8x1mm=.315-25.4, very close to 5/16-24.

Make sure to verify what you actually have.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master

Just an FYI - When I bought my Zoli Zouave in 1969 I couldn't find musket caps and when I could they were more expensive than #11 caps. I replaced my Zoli musket nipple with a nipple that takes #11 percussion caps and it has worked fine since. There is a threaded area in the patch box that holds my spare musket cap nipple!

Boolit Master

Thanks guys for taking the time to answer. One of the muzzle loading supply houses which I had requested the same information replied that they can supply a cleaning nipple & tube (which is what I need most) if I will remover the nipple on my rifle and mail it to them. I may just do that since I am getting conflicting information. james

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Thanks guys for taking the time to answer. One of the muzzle loading supply houses which I had requested the same information replied that they can supply a cleaning nipple & tube (which is what I need most) if I will remover the nipple on my rifle and mail it to them. I may just do that since I am getting conflicting information. james
    I guess you want to clean the gun without removing the barrel. I have been removing the bbl on my muskets and using a pail of water for 40 years. Easy peasy

Boolit Master

I took the ladies advice at Buffalo Arms Co., and sent the nipple in this morning for them to measure and decide what I needed. We wil see, james

Boolit Master

I finally got to talk to a guy at Buffalo Arms Company and he said that Zoli listed the thread pattern for the nipple on the Zouave .58 caliber rifle as 5/16x24. Finally someone who had the company info. So for the ones who tried to help--Thank you very much and I do appreciate your efforts. . For the ones who wanted the info for themselves, I posted this to help them. I have 2 nipples on order and they should ship tomorrow. Very nice folks at Buffalo, my first time dealing with them and don't think it will be my last. james

Boolit Master

I got the nipple for the Zouave in the mail today and they do fit. So the threading is 5/16"X24. I ordered these about 5:00 pm on 8-25. Buffalo Arms mailed the nipples on 8-26 and I got them on 8-28. That is fast service. james