Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is a proof test a double charge

Boolit Master

is a proof test a double charge

Ive been spending a lot of time recently loading for pistol caliber rifles and putting together a lot of loads using BE86 and unique in 357 mag, 41 mag, 44 mag and 45 colt. As getting older my attention span I guess wanders and while loading some 41 mag thought maybe I double charged one with a 10 grain charge a double charged shell would be easy to detect. Instead of whacking them all apart and starting over I weighed each round and thank goodness they all were within a grain or two.

but anyway it got me wondering if a proof load is double charge or just a bit over book max

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    SAAMI Max. Average Pressure is the statistical maximum individual pressure, or the maximum sample average (machine loading limit) plus 3 standard deviations. The proof pressure is ordinarily 1.25 times the MAP, which varies according to the cartridge.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

Maybe they were all double charged!

Double of a max. charge probably wouldn't fit into very many cases without using a hydraulic press.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

Interesting thread. Years ago (almost 50)I worked for a gunsmith, who ,in one of his convoluted trades, acquired a case of .38 spl. Proof loads. Projectileand case head stained red. He proceeded to sell these to customers whom he knew owned .357 revolvers. Not a good idea, I thought, as these could be passed on to unknowing folks who would have no idea what they had. Anyway , I never heard of any repercssions. Fast forward 45 years or so, and one day at a public range, I picked up some brass headstamped "357 BHA PROOF" . It really drives home the warning KNOW WHAT YOU ARE PUTTING IN THE CHAMBER.

Banned

Or do as the Brits did with the 303. Oil on the case and fire. It will create a very high bolt thrust that acts like a overcharge proof load.

Did they really do that? Wouldn't test the hoop strength of barrel/receiver.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    The British WD proof load for 303 was a normal charge with a heavier bullet.....in the case of Mk7,they used a Mk 6 bullet......very simple to arrange......And as mentioned ,British proof was two shots ,one dry case,one oiled case.........Quite a few manufacturers of military rifles tested the barrel blanks after drilling and outside turning ,but before reaming and rifling ,by using hydraulic pressure......up to 100,000 psi ,....to eliminate faulty ones early in the process.....

Previously Banned Member
    there is no real way to actually figure out what a proof load would be for a given caliber. When i talked to the people at SAAMI when i wanted to know if 5.56x45 nato was safe in a bolt action .223 remington,, they had some nice charts and in one spot it said.

that the individual chamber, in order to meet SAAMI standard had to be able to survive use of ammunition that was "125 to 150% above standard average pressure for that cartridge." Meaning that if a company was to make a brand new handgun chambered in a cartridge that has a 10,000 cup max limit, the chamber would have to survive routine use of ammo loaded to 15,000 cup.

Quote Originally Posted by pocketace View Post
    there is no real way to actually figure out what a proof load would be for a given caliber. When i talked to the people at SAAMI when i wanted to know if 5.56x45 nato was safe in a bolt action .223 remington,, they had some nice charts and in one spot it said.

that the individual chamber, in order to meet SAAMI standard had to be able to survive use of ammunition that was "125 to 150% above standard average pressure for that cartridge." Meaning that if a company was to make a brand new handgun chambered in a cartridge that has a 10,000 cup max limit, the chamber would have to survive routine use of ammo loaded to 15,000 cup.
    Actually that is all open-source information in the CIP and ANSI standards and the methodology is clearly defined. The military traditionally has used simple, practical methods for assembling proof loads. The .30-'06 proof load was a 220-grain bullet over the standard charge used for the M1906 Ball, and later the Ball M2. The .30 M1 carbine proof load substituted a 152-grain Ball M2 bullet over the standard powder charge. The 7.62 NATO proof for years used the 174-grain cal. .30 Ball M1 or later the M118 Special Ball bullet with 40 grains of IMR4198. The 9mm Parabellum proof load simply took M882 Ball and seated the bullet 1.5mm deeper.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pocketace View Post

Section IV of the SAAMI of each standard deals with SAAMI Proof Load pressures.

starts at page 351 for rifle https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...sting-Copy.pdf

starts at page 181 for handgun https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...sting-Copy.pdf

starts at page 111 for shotgun https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...2019-04-23.pdf

starts at page 78 for rimfire https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...2018-06-13.pdf

If you want actual load data for SAAMI you need to pay for it and have legitimate need and proper controls. "Note: The purchase of Reference and Proof Ammunition may be limited to individuals and businesses with legitimate need and proper controls in place. Check with the individual manufacturer for their policies." https://saami.org/technical-informat...of-ammunition/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-09-2020 at 09:23 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Previously Banned Member
    paying for it last i checked required industry credentials and a research lab.

Regardless if you use a powder with 75% load density or greater it will take great amounts of will to double charge a case thats why i like slower powders and they usually give me better accuracy
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    Ive been spending a lot of time recently loading for pistol caliber rifles and putting together a lot of loads using BE86 and unique in 357 mag, 41 mag, 44 mag and 45 colt. As getting older my attention span I guess wanders and while loading some 41 mag thought maybe I double charged one with a 10 grain charge a double charged shell would be easy to detect. Instead of whacking them all apart and starting over I weighed each round and thank goodness they all were within a grain or two.

but anyway it got me wondering if a proof load is double charge or just a bit over book max
    Weighing the completed rounds is worthless unless you've sorted your brass and boolits by weight before hand.

Take 10 random pieces of brass and weigh them. The results may surprise you.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

Spanish proof is a 30% overload fired three times or was.

Boolit Grand Master

farmbif

"it got me wondering if a proof load is double charge or just a bit over book max"

Post #10 and #11 give you the definition of "proof loads". A "double charge", referencing your quandary, of a reduced load of fast burning powder may or may not exceed maximum pressures (MAPs). For example; in your 41 magnum with 210 gr cast bullet if your load was intended to be 5 gr of Unique and you double charged it the 10 gr load would only be close to a maximum load. However if you were using Bullseye the double charge of 10 gr would be over maximum. Then if your load was a close to maximum 10 gr Unique and you double charged it to 20 gr then that would be way over maximum.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    not worth the risk ,tear them down

Boolit Master
    I've always wondered about proof loads...can they weaken the metal of the firearm? I mean, the gun might pass the test, but what about 50, 100 or whatever shots later?

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I've always wondered about proof loads...can they weaken the metal of the firearm? I mean, the gun might pass the test, but what about 50, 100 or whatever shots later?
    When I was in industry an "accelerated endurance test" which the government accepted as a lower cost option than firing 10,000 rounds, was to fire 364 proof loads. I don't know how Picatinny came up with that number, but every day we selected a rifle at random, fired 364 proof loads through it, then tore it down, gaged, ultrasonic and xray inspected it and never had any issues. This was in 5.56mm.

The rifles subjected to the accelerated endurance test were tagged and also turned over to the government for inspection. Occasionally we received one back after they had put another 10,000 rounds through it and they requested a new barrel be put on it. So we did.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Interesting. I started wondering about proof tests when I was mostly into cap and ball revolvers, which is a different animal as far as overloading with BP. Whenever I read about a modern gun blowing up with no apparent cause, I wonder if the proofing weakened it, or at least highlighted a flaw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast