RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Powder and primer price checking again

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Powder and primer price checking again

I, as usual, have worked up a pet load with some old Remington 9 1/2 primers I picked up from cabelas years ago. Every time I stop at Cabelas in the last year they are never in stock. I ran into an iowa GS while driving through the area today. They had Remington 9 1/2 for $4.95 a 100. At first I was told 300 was the maximum could buy when I called for availability. When I got there there they changed their tune and said I could buy all I wanted. I wasnt going to pay $50 for a 1000 so I bought the original three hundred. I also picked up a pound of H4895 for $36.99. I don't mind helping the LGS stay in business but I think they are a buck to rich per 100 primers and about a good $7 high on the powder. I need to get to a Scheels or Sportsmans If they were closer to me. What are the local primer and powder prices in everyone's areas?

Boolit Master
    I went into Sportsmans Warehouse to pick up a couple bricks of 7 1/2 and they had 9 1/2s on the shelf at $25. I didn’t need them so left them for the next guy.

Banned
    It all depends on how many reloaders and /or hoarders there are in your area

Boolit Buddy
    Wish I could find some H4895. Only need a pound or so, but no stores within driving distance have any and cant even find any online.

Boolit Master
    Our local store still sells Winchester primers (small pistol, large pistol , small rifle and large rifle) for 31.99 per thousand. They will not sell by the 100-- you have to buy the whole box of 1000 (not a problem for me).
    Hick: Iron sights!

Quote Originally Posted by rdwarrior View Post
    Wish I could find some H4895. Only need a pound or so, but no stores within driving distance have any and cant even find any online.
    I thought h4895 was a hard powder to find. They had about 4 one pound cans and I just used my one pound can up. I have a load worked up for my 243 ar 10 with it so I had to grab it. It was the same place that had 14 one pound cans of Varget for $40 a pound. Good thing I picked one up because they are all gone. I did pick up another pound of Varget locally for $33 a week later. I would give my left you know what for a box of Remington 7 1/2’s. Been looking for them to close to three years now with zero luck. I don’t hoard powder or primers. I normally try but keep a pound of every powder I use on hand. I normally would buy 300 to 400 primers at a time but now buy a box of 1000 at a time when I find them. It got to the point that it really peeved me off thst I bought two pounds of varget because its been so hard to find. I hate to see the day I finally run into Remington 9 1/2 and 7 1/2 primers for $20 a 1000. I’d be happy with a 1000 each.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-18-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    if you come across primers for $20/1000 better buy all you can. $40/lb for powder, might want to save up and get 8lb when its available for $200 even if that's all you order and have to pay hazmat and shipping, probably adds $50 still a whole lot less than the first $320 for 8lbs your paying for locally. but maybe that's just me having more time than money.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    if you come across primers for $20/1000 better buy all you can. $40/lb for powder, might want to save up and get 8lb when its available for $200 even if that's all you order and have to pay hazmat and shipping, probably adds $50 still a whole lot less than the first $320 for 8lbs your paying for locally. but maybe that's just me having more time than money.
    They keep advertising $20 to $22 per box of Remington 7 1/2’s at sportsman’s warehouse in the last month. Sportsman’s even had them available on line to purchase a limit of one box of 1000 but they had to picked up in store. I know a few guys that bought them but don’t live anywhere close to a store.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up a thousand Remington 7 1/2 primers from Sportsman’s Warehouse yesterday. I ordered them two weeks before that. I just keep checking every few days to see what they have available on the website. When they get stock in I buy it, and then wait a week or two for it to arrive. At $25.00 after tax for a thousand, it’s a no brainer.

Not to mention they are across the street from Trader Joe’s, the wife always has a list for me when she hears I’m gonna go to Sportsman’s Warehouse.

JM

Boolit Man
    I kept trying to buy 7-1/2’s as well thru sportsman website a couple of different times. Said they were available to ship to store but it would never let me finishing checking out. ��*♂️

Boolit Master
    Got an 8 pound keg of imr 3031 Friday for 210.00 taxes included.