Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good results with 4FG in 44-40?

Good results with 4FG in 44-40?

Howdy folks,
    I'm about to reload rounds for my last purchased Uberti 73 rifle. I'd prefer N°2 (3FG), but I'm broke, and I don't have any left, wherehas I have 4 pounds of 4FG in my jumble... what kind of results did you have with such thin powder?
    I have already tryed once out of curiosity in 45-70, I remember not being happy with it.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    2Fg will work as long as you fill the case, settle the charge for maximum powder capacity and obtain at least 3mm of powder compression with the bullet seated.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    2Fg will work as long as you fill the case, settle the charge for maximum powder capacity and obtain at least 3mm of powder compression with the bullet seated.
    I believe OP stated 4FG not 2FG which does sound way different

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I believe OP stated 4FG not 2FG which does sound way different
    OOPS! Thanks for the correction. 4Fg is not ideal, but will "work," loosely filling the case, without compression.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't know about 4Fg in the 44-40 but I have tested GOEX 4FG in the 45 Colt.

Under a 255 gr 454190 in W-W cases with WLP primers 34.5 gr of GOEX 4Fg produced 12,100 psi. Using 35 gr GOEC Cartridge under the same bullet gave 13,500 psi. Pressure was measured in a Contender barrel via the Oehler m43 PBL.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

So I'll give it a try.
    By the way, I've opened antique pistol cartridges, and they were loaded with very thin powder, like flintlock priming powder, near dust.

Boolit Master

those antique cartridges probably were not "dust" when loaded, years of bumping around and age made the difference.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Man
    Everything that I’ve ever read on 4FG powder is that it is only to be used as priming powder for flintlocks. From my experience it is a drastic speed difference from 2FG or 3FG. I would not want to see the potential results of if the charge was contained inside of a brass case.

Could you use small charges of 4FG in an emergency, yes. Would I do it in any other situation? Nope, not without a manufacturer’s recommendation.

The risk is not worth it IMHO. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA-Life Member
    Dabbler in Holy Black and Heathen Smokeless

"There are very few situations in life that cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives."

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm not a 44-40 loader or shooter but I have been using BP for over half a century. I am in agreement with Washington3311 - 4F should be reserved for priming flintlocks.

A short time ago I read a post on another forum where a gentleman decided to use 4F in his 44 cap and ball revolver. He touted somewhat about how well it had worked but that the recoil, etc. were rather stiff like a magnum load . . . but he was going to do it again.

Just because you "can" do something doesn't mean it is a good idea. I'm sure that at some time we all have run out of 3F and substituted 2F or run out of 2F and substituted 3F - but in my limited experience in loading 38 Colt Short, Long, 38 Special and 45 Schofield and 45 Colt, IF I were forced to having to use 4F, I would be adjusting the load and using a filler.

Overcautious? Maybe . . . but I doubt very much that the powder manufactures would go along with substituting 4F in place of 2F or 3F.

It kind of reminds me of those that shoot stronger loads in brass frame cap and ball revolvers and then can't figure out why their cylinder pin loosens up and the recoil shield gets all battered up . . then the revolver goes out of time because of the wear. As I replied to the gentleman who thought it was fine to use 4F in his cap and ball revolver . . . steel frame or not, the higher recoil of the 4F is slamming the cylinder harder into the recoil shield with "steel on steel".

A 1873 is ot a cap and ball revolver - and maybe with the action locked it will take a 4F charge . . . that's something that the owner of the rifle will have to decide for himself but keep in mind that whether the 4F charge is in the breech of a muzzleloading rifle or within a cartridge case with the breech of a rifle . . . it's still not an accepted practice and I doubt that any firearm manufacturer would honor a warranty for not using what they and the powder manufacturer recommends.

Gentlemen,
    I asked you this question in order to save my time, my gasoline and my money, as I don't have much to spend... Just to know if 4F works on target in 44-40 rifle.
    That being said, I think you're a bit severe with 4F swiss black powder, I believe my 1873 rifle won't blow up with 30 grains loads.
    I used 4F swiss black powder at moderate charges during twenty years in my muzzleloading pistol, and cap and ball revolver... and with first class results, as I won several international championships. So IMO it would be a pity to only use it as a priming charge for flintlocks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouteselle View Post
    Gentlemen,
    I asked you this question in order to save my time, my gasoline and my money, as I don't have much to spend... Just to know if 4F works on target in 44-40 rifle.
    That being said, I think you're a bit severe with 4F swiss black powder, I believe my 1873 rifle won't blow up with 30 grains loads.
    I used 4F swiss black powder at moderate charges during twenty years in my muzzleloading pistol, and cap and ball revolver... and with first class results, as I won several international championships. So IMO it would be a pity to only use it as a priming charge for flintlocks.
    Sounds like you know best ,but you did ask ! Ed

Loud and clear. I'll don't ask anything anymore.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe op is asking if 4 f would work, but if I believe the Swiss powder in Europe is graded the opposite than here in the US. He may be asking if 2f in his 1873 rifle would work. Let's see if he is really talking about 2f US graded powder. Ramble on.

Chuck40219
    When I speak of:
    45-70: that is a 45-70 Uberti 1885 High Wall Rifle
    357 Mag. Rifle: that is a Uberti 1873 Carbine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouteselle View Post
    Loud and clear. I'll don't ask anything anymore.
    You had a couple of good replys from Outpost75 and Larry Gibson (blokes that know blackpowder from the tone their replys over the last couple years I have been on here) .....I posted one myself but think it was moderated off....

" have used FFFFg quite successfully in 357magnum and 32/20 cases - maybe it would generate a little higher peak pressure but cant see how you would get dangerous pressures in a modern made gun (Uberti) "....

Also if you have Swiss powder ---the FFFFg Swiss granulation is much larger (.25 to .5mm) than US shooters are used to - The Swiss loading chart I saw lists FFFFg as "muzzleloader handgun"

There are a few super duper cautious guys on here - hang around for a while you will figure out who to listen to and who to ignore

Given the finer particle size of 4Fg compared to larger granulation, a greater percentage by weight is composed of graphite, and while the burning rate is faster, the total energy produced in ft.-lbs. per grain is less. Larry's pressure test in .45 Colt should compare fairly closely to what you could reasonably expect with 200-grain bullets in the .44-40, I doubt that you'd exceed 13,000 psi unless the powder charge were heavily compressed above 110% of its bulk density. Even so, that would be OK in a modern, heat-treated reproduction which is proofed to modern CIP standards, but if I had an original black powder frame Colt worth several thousands of dollars more I would be prudent and treat it gently.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

"Everything that I’ve ever read on 4FG powder is that it is only to be used as priming powder for flintlocks."

That certainly is the myth.....

However, considering the smaller revolver cartridges 22 through 32 RF and CF were loaded with 4Fg BP by the manufacturers and that 4 FG is commonly used in 31 through 44 cap and ball revolvers [Don't think so? Look in Lyman's Black Powder handbook which is full of such loads]. I've pulled apart several 44 RF cartridges and a couple old 44-40 and 45 Colt cartridges and the granulation of the BP was very close to 4Fg. Pressure testing the 45 Colt has demonstrated the safety of such along with testing 10 gr of 4Fg under a 90 gr cast bullet in the 32 S&WL which duplicates old original BP loads.

Now, I', not saying 4Fg should be used in all BP cartridges but obviously it was commonly used in days gone by in those cartridges and cap & ball revolvers before before the advent of the above myth..... Actually the myth might be correct for use in muzzle loading rifles and muskets and, perhaps in larger BP cartridges. I've contemplated testing 4Fg in the 45-70 as my pressure test 45-70 is built on a Mauser action. Just to many other irons in the fire .......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Bouteselle

Assuming you're going to test some please report back you rresults?
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I have used 4f in 22 Hornet and 32-20. Been shooting flintlocks for about 1/2 a century and never used 4f to prime. Used whatever was in the horn or flask or cartridge.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    "Everything that I’ve ever read on 4FG powder is that it is only to be used as priming powder for flintlocks."
    That certainly is the myth.....
    However, considering the smaller revolver cartridges 22 through 32 RF and CF were loaded with 4Fg BP by the manufacturers and that 4 FG is commonly used in 31 through 44 cap and ball revolvers [Don't think so? Look in Lyman's Black Powder handbook which is full of such loads].
    From the Lyman BP loading manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0595.jpg   DSCN0601.jpg   DSCN0600.jpg   DSCN0599.jpg  
    Chill Wills

Look up hazzard cartridge company 4fg was used in c&b revolvers around the time the war of northern aggression was goin on
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast