Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Looking for a 405 gr RN for .45-70 Sharps

Boolit Master

Looking for a 405 gr RN for .45-70 Sharps

I am not seeing a 405 RN just 405 RNFP. I may be out in left field but would like to try a few 405 RN in my Sharps. Anyone cast a RN that could tell me what mold to buy or would sell me 25 bullets to try and the brand mold used? I do not want for use in a lever gun.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...iber-385-grain This is as close as I can find, depending on your alloy, I have gotten 400gr boolits. It may not be what you want but I hope it helps.

Boolit Master
    Here is another 405 grains but it's hollow base as a solid base it is 460 grains https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/shop...in-hollow-base

Boolit Master
    Ideal 457124. Their copy of the standard roundnose military boolit in the original Trapdoor rifle load, and the carbine load. Lyman still makes it.

Boolit Master

Yep, the 124 is pretty close. I had one for a while and it shot pretty well. The nose tends to be undersize just a bit. Mine was. I was told that this was that way as it was a BP design and the smaller diameter nose compensated for powder fouling when chambering. Made sense to me./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

The RCBS .45-405 FNGC was designed specifically to feed in Leverguns. Hence the flat nose. There are 3 variations of taht boolit .45-300, .45-405 and .45-500 for those who need punishment.

They are exactly the same from the crimp groove forward, there is simply more driving bands below that to increase the weight. I Use .45-300 mostly in my 1895CB Marlin. Excellent Boolit, would work just fine in a Sharps.

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com