Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .358 125 grain coated cast in Canik TP9SF ?

Boolit Master

.358 125 grain coated cast in Canik TP9SF ?

Im getting leading with .356 115 grain. Tried sport pistol CFE pistol and universal powders. Also tried COAL of 1.150 and 1.135. Thinking i may need a bigger bullet.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Im getting leading with .356 115 grain. Tried sport pistol CFE pistol and universal powders. Also tried COAL of 1.150 and 1.135. Thinking i may need a bigger bullet.
    I am new as can be to casting and powder coating bullets but one thing I always keep hearing is to slug your bore and size your bullets accordingly to prevent leading.

I'm sure one of the guys who knows what there doing will chime in shorty, seem to be some very nice helpfule folks on this forum.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Try sizing to 358. Also, what boolit is it that you are shooting? Lee, Accurate, NOE, mold number? Are you lubing the boolit or coating them? What lube is being used if you are lubing them?

Boolit Master

The are Hi-tek coated SNS and Bayou bullets. Not sure what mold they use. The Bayou have a lube groove the SNS do not. I did a thunk check with the 125 gr .358. It passed.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Go Shoot Them! Ive been interested in coatings for awhile but have not taken the plunge into doing it, not for 9mm, but for rifle. What are you shooting these in?

Boolit Master
    +1 for sizing them .358. Also, letting the case swage down your boolit can be a problem. What expander are you using? In my experience a .356 expander is better than an one that expandes to .354 (like you'd use for j-words)

Boolit Master

I just slugged the bore. Definitely need .358. It slugged .357 . My lee powder through die opens the case up enough to sit a .358 in. I pulled one after mocking up a round. Coating was still intact. Shooting them out of a Canik TP9SFX.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master

My TP9SFX loves bullets sized to .357, it slugged at .356.

But I still had leading. It was caused by too sharp of a transition from the chamber to the bore.

I shipped the barrel off to DougGuy and the problem was solved.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    This is from the SNS home page.
    "Over the years, we have noticed one common theme when it comes to dirty/leaded barrels...Powders with fast and or hot burn rates. Here is a link to a powder burn rate chart. We recommend powders with burn rates slower than the top 15 on this list, with the exceptions being Ramshot Competition, Red Dot, and N310.
    We HIGHLY recommend checking out "Alliant Sport Pistol." It's an excellent, cheap, and readily available powder that is made specifically for coated bullets. There are plenty of other options out there, so please stay away from very fast/hot burning powders with our coated bullets. Thank you! "

There are many variables , bullet size , velocity , barrel and chamber , and according to this powder I have not personally tested to see what difference powder makes but the combination that works in multiple 9mm guns for me with Hi-Tek coated bullets from SNS and Summers is .357 bullets loaded on Red dot or BE-86 to a moderate velocity , with bullets of 125 grains and up . I get 0 leading with most guns occasionally some light leading , this is shooting 50 to 100 rounds per session between cleanings. We have people that load a variety of ways with success and there are certainly particular things that can cause leading but I think some leading is a combination things . The number of rounds fired between cleanings can also have an impact light leading from 50 shots that is not a big deal can become terrible leading after 500 shots
    What I have found for me is the the lower the velocity the less likely I am to have leading so I tend pick a medium to heavy bullet for the cartridges I use in multiple guns for range use to avoid a custom cartridges that will not work in all of them.
    Some people need or want max velocity which in my experience requires much tighter control over all aspects of the loaded cartridge matched to particular gun.
    A lot of this depends on what works for you and what you are doing with these cast bullet loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    My TP9SFX loves bullets sized to .357, it slugged at .356.

But I still had leading. It was caused by too sharp of a transition from the chamber to the bore.

I shipped the barrel off to DougGuy and the problem was solved.
    I have to fully agree with that. My TP9 SFX didnt shoot lead right neither until Doug fixed the chamber. No more problems now and Lee 356-125-2R is my favorite 9mm bullet PCed and sized to .3575

Boolit Master

I had terrible leading with T'G in the past. I saw that on SNS then. Im using what i have left in T.G on jacketed and plated. I load low to mid rage data. I got over the hot rodding phase.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master

50 loaded up. Going to test soon. The rain stopped. Suns out and not hot and sticky.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Buddy
    I slugged my TP9SFX and I think it came up at either .3655 or .357, I forget what, but it was enough to make me size them to .358. Did end up having Dougguy throat the barrel just to see if I could seat a bit longer.

I expand with a Lyman M die and crimp with a Lee FCD to just take the bell out. I get no leading and about 2.5” at 25 yards with HP-38.

Boolit Master

Good report no leading. Bore was clean as a whistle. I ran 10 rounds though my 92 too. It liked them too.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master
    Good news , glad you they are working for you.

Boolit Master

Thanks.
    One round at a time.