MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: Best Source for .30 cal Gas checks - Do I need them?

Boolit Master

Best Source for .30 cal Gas checks - Do I need them?

I've only quite recently jumped into casting for rifle calibers. I have done a good bit of .300 BLK, and just started playing with some .308 win. My primary question, is, is there any significant benefit in accuracy to traditional lubing and gas checking over powder coating? Obviously this question is directed towards GC designed molds. Or should I just order a PB mold with no lube grooves and powder coat away. Right now I am interested in casting for the .308, 30-06, and likely .303 and 7.7 JAP in the near future. If the gas checks are preferable, where do you typically buy them. I know some of you guys make them as well as use some small vendors. I appreciate your input.

Boolit Grand Master

Most people will say a gas check bullet is more accurate. For most 30 caliber designs, this will be true. You can certainly get great accuracy from a plain base, but you are looking at very low velocities, many times only up 1300 fps. Wax lube vs powder coat is a hot topic, and you can get great results with both. The guys who shoot for great accuracy, especially at the highest velocities 2500+ fps, almost universally use wax lube. That's not to say you can't do it with powder coat, just that not that many have yet. As for the bullet design, do not go with a lubeless design. Their one and only schtick is that they are slightly easier to cast. A conventional bullet design is the way to go. You can wax lube, tumble lube, or powdercoat that same bullet.

The best place to buy gas checks is from sages. https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/

Boolit Master
    Depends on what your goal is. Hunting, minute of soda can, or hitting a target at 600yd.

For most people the difference in accuracy is not noticeable. Sometimes PC can make an undersize bullet perform better, other times the PC will make the bullet too big in dia and cause seating problems.

GC vs no GC when powder coating is just kind of a preference. If the bullet is made for a GC then it will be more accurate with one, most of the time.

If you don't want the hassle of GC's then get plain base bullets and use PC. There are several designs out there made for PC that you might want to look at.

For the finest accuracy then lubed bullets are still considered a bit better, almost all using gas checks. But, there have been some impressive bench rest groups with powder coated.

Velocity limits are based mostly on rifling twist. Slower twist, faster velocity.

PS I use Hornady gas checks because they crimp on the bullet nicely.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have yet to find that powder coating eliminates the need for gas checks as velocities go past a certain point. The gas check confers benefits powder coating cannot supply.

Yes to Sage's. As to whether you need a GC, I suppose it depends on how well the CB fits your bore(s); what you lube them with; and how fast you want to push them. Btw, I have a forming die that will reform a .30cal. CB (nose, body, & base) so that there is no GC shank. Those CB's are as accurate as GC'd ones, albeit at lower velocity: e.g., 8.7 - 9.0 Unique in my .30-06 with a CB between 175- and 203gr.
    Last edited by Maven; 08-04-2020 at 06:33 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    I have yet to find that powder coating eliminates the need for gas checks as velocities go past a certain point. The gas check confers benefits powder coating cannot supply.
    Agree 100%.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Thanks. I guess I'm headed to Sage's. I will go ahead with the traditional style. Based on the preachings of some, I had it in my head PC was approaching the functional durability of J words. Something about a nice smooth spitzer bullet covered in PC was mentally appealing to me. As always, you guys save my from a lot of headaches.

Boolit Grand Master

The one thing that powder coat does have, or should have if you do it right, is that you can run extremely soft alloy if you wish. PC will not grip rifling, or help at all if your bullet is undersized, but it should stop all leading. This is not all that helpful in a rifle, but if you were say, wanting to shoot pure, or near pure lead in a 357 magnum, it might be. That said, I've played with very soft alloy with high pressures that do foul some with traditional lube, yet still shoot very good.

Boolit Buddy
    I have approached 1MOA in 300 BO with the Lee 312-155 2R bullet with a Hornady gas check installed, then powder coated and sized to the correct diameter for the gun over 14.8g Lil Gun.

Boolit Master

I agree gas checks seem to be an item that provides a function more than that of just accuracy. If you have small voids a gas check can fix em but they also wouldn’t effect accuracy much to start with. They can aid in maintaining accuracy at higher speeds, they can keep a suppressor or gas system from leading, they can correct some alloy problems to a small degree. I wouldn’t say they are necessary for accuracy just accuracy at high speeds. I’m still a novice at cast boolits but for what it’s worth that is what I have found.
    90% professional 10% mature