Load DataWidenersInline FabricationPBcastco
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shot another chronograph

Boolit Buddy
    " the taxidsrmist, gonna have a heart attack when he see what [you] bring him ". Jaws .......I couldn't resist

Boolit Master
    I was also one of the lucky ones. My daughter shot my first one, but, I had mounted an inch thick Lexan plate in front of it just a few weeks before. Saved the chrono. I wish I could justify the cost of the labradar.

Boolit Master
    I have some questions about shooting chronographs 1 is there a season for them?
    2 do they free range or can you just pick one out when your at the range and harvest it?
    3 are they good to eat or are they more of a trophy hunt?
    4 are they an invasive species could they be game farmed?
    5 have I had enough to drink already today?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Here’s a video on the magnito. It sure would save the drama of settings my beta on a camera stand every time.

https://youtu.be/diA8_zDgvNM

Maybe when i kill mine I’ll have to try one of these. I think the only way to shoot them is laying it on the ground and aiming at it.lol

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=brass410;4955828]I have some questions about shooting chronographs

1 is there a season for them? No, just open season.

2 do they free range or can you just pick one out when your at the range and harvest it? I think they are domesticated, you have to bring your own.

3 are they good to eat or are they more of a trophy hunt? Just bragging rights.

4 are they an invasive species could they be game farmed? not invasive if you kill them regularly.

5 have I had enough to drink already today? 3 cups of coffee and I am just getting started.

I really like my Labradar.

Boolit Master
    Oehler M 33 sets on the bench with wires running out to the two sky screen transducers. You can crank the camera tripod down to where the screens are below the table top and pretty hard to hit. I started with Oehler m 12; so the M 33 seemed like a Great Leap Forward!
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Grand Master

I'm sure your local Taxidermist has mounted a few "trophy" chrono kills ...
    Wives love to give them to husbands as Christmas Gifts ... they think it's so darned funny ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I have one "Boone & Crockett " crony on my wall
    Siamese4570

Boolit Master

My daughter shot her first one late this winter. She was horrified that it went down without a squeal and did not do the curly shuffle. I think she was equally horrified when she looked over and I was laughing! She scored a beautiful heart / lung through and through on my Pro Chrono Digital, replaced it with a DLX. I really do like their machines. I do not like the idea of hanging things off the front of my guns, plus many of the compact and sub-compact pistols would be a pain.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=ioon44;4955833]
    Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    I have some questions about shooting chronographs

1 is there a season for them? No, just open season.

2 do they free range or can you just pick one out when your at the range and harvest it? I think they are domesticated, you have to bring your own.

3 are they good to eat or are they more of a trophy hunt? Just bragging rights.

4 are they an invasive species could they be game farmed? not invasive if you kill them regularly.

5 have I had enough to drink already today? 3 cups of coffee and I am just getting started.

I really like my Labradar.
    I think you have too much blood in your caffeine system, but I'd suggest switching to Russian Caravan Tea. More caffeine per cup, so you can get really wired faster.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I got my first Chrony with an unburned powder kernel . I built a shield for the replacement . Then I bought the Gamma which has a better case and remote readout head .

2 kinds chronograph owners , the ones that have shot the Chronograph and the ones that will .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Never use a scope over a chrony. I shot my last chrony three times, the last one killed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    My daughter shot her first one late this winter. She was horrified that it went down without a squeal and did not do the curly shuffle. I think she was equally horrified when she looked over and I was laughing! She scored a beautiful heart / lung through and through on my Pro Chrono Digital, replaced it with a DLX. I really do like their machines. I do not like the idea of hanging things off the front of my guns, plus many of the compact and sub-compact pistols would be a pain.
    Great story !

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the sympathy and laughs too! I was pretty upset when I killed my chronograph but my period of mourning is past and I can now move on. I plan on returning the unit to Competition Electronics for them to repair as they say they will do it for half or less of the current retail price. The load I was testing used boolits cast and lubed over 15 years ago. I checked a few of the remaining ones the other day and all the gas checks are firmly attached and can't be twisted on or easily pried off the base. I've had sized and checked boolits where you could do this but this boolit doesn't appear to be one of those. However, I did notice that this boolit is a bit under sized. They were sized and checked in a .358 Lee push through sizer but mic .357 except for the check on the base which is just a bit over .358. I wonder if that slight difference in size would account for the check separating from the boolit. You can bet my next session with the repaired or replaced unit will include a debris shield.
    Last edited by Maineboy; 08-06-2020 at 06:51 AM.
    Maineboy

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineboy View Post
    A few years ago I shot a chronograph with a direct hit from my 35 Whelen. This time, same rifle, a gas check came off a 358 627 boolit and struck the screen on my new unit. This one died after only 3 trips to the range. This is getting expensive.Attachment 265670
    sounds like you need to work on your aim
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    Oehler M 33 sets on the bench with wires running out to the two sky screen transducers. You can crank the camera tripod down to where the screens are below the table top and pretty hard to hit. I started with Oehler m 12; so the M 33 seemed like a Great Leap Forward!
    I started out with an Oehler back in the 70s. Mounted the Sky Screens on on conduit and then on a board with 5' spacing. Soon put steel "defectors" in front of each screen. Then driiled 2 holes for pencils as guides to shoot between. Worked great until I crowded the rear screen.....but the deflector earned it's keep! I switched from pencils to dowels as they did get nicked or shot in two, especially with handguns. I also put a wrap of electrician tape 6" up on them and the never aimed with sights or reticle below them. That system was quick and easy to set up.

I had one bench at the range I used back then and made a set of legs for the Sky Screen board that was the right height for that bench. Got a pair of the clamps you put 2x4s in for sawhorse legs [made sort of big clothes pins] with a piece of 2x4 bolted to the bottom of the board the legs easily clamped on and off. Certainly not as convenient as todays chronographs but it was high speed low drag in the '70s.....

Attachment 265829Attachment 265830

Even on todays screens I always recommend not to get one with electronics out front but if you do; put tape on the diffuser legs 6" up from the screens and never aim with the reticle or sights below the tape markers. Also never shot offhand or free hand, always use a solid rest.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Little low and left but it was a solid MOA chronogrqph! Seriously, sorry for your loss. Been there done that. Bill.

Boolit Master
    My 25 year old PACT Pro is still like new but, while I'll test anything for anyone, I let virtually no one else shoot over it.

I have two 3" x 10" strips of cardboard I set edgewise over my screens to block the sight line during setup. Then, if I can't see the target I know to lower the screen's tripod; if I can see the target I know I'm safely clear of the screens. So far, so good!

That new fangled magnetic speed device is no doubt the safest but it's not much good for handguns and it's absolutely lousy for arrows. I really like tool flexibility so, in my own method of load development, I like to test for accuracy while testing for speed but muzzle attachments make that unrealistic. I demand excellent accuracy at no less than factory speeds. I mean, if I have paid for a .30-06 rifle I demand it shoot like a .30-06, not down loaded to some .30-30 level for best accuracy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123