RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Load for factory rifled 1 oz. Foster Slugs

Boolit Mold

Load for factory rifled 1 oz. Foster Slugs

Good day all. So this is what had happened...... I ended up with boxes of pull down reclaimed factory Foster slugs. These are .73"x.695", 438 grains and are "rifled". What brand of shell they were reclaimed from I can not tell you. If I am correct, the factory loading for those things is a combination of card and fiber wads. I can not find any load data for such. I need to run some assumptions past you guys and see what advice you can give. I would like to take the load for 1oz. shot in a straight wall hull and use it for these Foster slugs. Assumption 1: a slug replacing the equal mass of shot will generate the same or less barrel pressure if it is compatible with the barrel and choke. 2: The Foster slug will obviously not fit inside the shot cup of the wad in the shot load so I could trim the petals off to remove that obstacle. 3: column height is critical so I may need to adjust with some nitro cards. 4: The roll crimp I will use generates less pressure than a folded crimp so that will not take me in the wrong direction pressure wise. 5: I am not looking for "hot" loads so if my original shot load data shows moderate pressures say around 7500 to 8500 that would be reasonable. 5: I could use the same load data with a gas seal and a card/fiber combination to make up column height without sending pressures out of bounds. I am pretty sure of what I want to do, none of those would raise pressures. How the load will perform and pattern is something different and I will have to see about that. It was suggested I just melt them down and cast .690" slugs and be about my business. As of now I do not have a pot and am not set up to cast. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a new Lyman's book coming this week. There may be data in there. Thanks again.

Boolit Grand Master

Do these happen to be the "value slugs" from Ballistic Products? If so, they are pulldown's from the Federal Truball 1 ounce slugs.

Boolit Mold
    I believe they came from Ballistic Products. I honestly don't remember seeing the plastic inserts Truball's have in any of them. They may have been removed as part of the decom process.

Boolit Grand Master

Ballistic Products has had pull down slugs on and off for a long time. Usually it is a one time deal, once gone, they are gone. The latest one was about a year ago, and it was the Federal Truball, they also had 1 1/4 ounce Federal rifled slugs, and even the Federal 300 grain trophy copper bullet sabot slugs. Call Ballistic Products, and ask for their data on the 1 ounce value slug. That is the safest route.