Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners PBcastco

Thread: Need a little help with cast 30-30

Need a little help with cast 30-30

I finally got around to slugging my barrel on my 1972 Marlin 336. If I did it right, I got .310”.

I haven’t loaded any cast for it before because I was unsure about what diameter to use, but now that I know the groove diameter, I ordered some 165 gr .311” coated #4 Whitetail Hi-Tek.

Now I’m searching for a good powder to use. I’d like to use something I’ve already got, but can’t find much load data for this size bullet and any of my current powders. I’ve got some 2400 and Unique, but I’m running low on both. Has anyone had good results with IMR-4227 or H110 for bullets like these? I’ve also got H4895, but I haven’t found cast data for it at all. I could use some recommendations. I’d like to stay around 1500 FPS or less.
    Last edited by Mr_Flintstone; 08-03-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Super Moderator

Lyman's 4th edition Cast Bullet Handbook shows a starting load of 16.5 grains of IMR-4227 and a MAX load of 22 grains. This is for a 170 grain cast bullet.The Lyman 49th Reloading Handbook shows a starting load of 24.5 grains of IMR Flavored 4895, and a MAX load of 28 grains respectively. This is for a 170 grain jacketed bullet. I use a lot of LVR, IMR3031, and RL7 in my 30-30's. 2400 works pretty well too though.

Hi Flintstone,
    I have loaded and shot quite several of the Hi-Tek 165 in my Mossberg 464 guide gun (short bbl- all FPS below are set to that short barrel). I've tried a few sorts of powders that I had "in stock". Here are a few results:
    - Red dot reduced load 1200 or so FPS, poor
    - IMR 4198 1800 fps, terrible. Loaded to 1900 FPS, shot good!
    - 2400 1200 fps, very decent plinker load
    - Titegroup to 1070 fps, pretty good

-IMR3031 loaded to 1850+/-FPS in my gun shot great, and to the same point of aim and impact as my full charge deer load with a 150 grn jacketed at 2100 +/- FPS. This is my "go to" load for this bullet. I can use the same powder for my deer and reduced plinker load, shoots great.

Of course, what works in my gun might not in yours. Fiddling with powder charges in the same powder might give you good results. I really like the Hi Tek bullets.

Shoot Straight and Have Fun! Mtnflyer in Idaho (also known as "New California")
    John in Idaho

Thanks guys. That will give me something to start with. I’ll experiment a little to see what works.

Anybody know how fast can I expect to push a bullet like this without leading problems?
    Last edited by Mr_Flintstone; 08-03-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 14.5 grains of 4227 and the exact same bullet as the OP’s and it gives excellent accuracy And about 1450 fps in my 30/30’s.

Quote Originally Posted by ATCDoktor View Post
    I use 14.5 grains of 4227 and the exact same bullet as the OP’s and it gives excellent accuracy And about 1450 fps in my 30/30’s.
    That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks.

You can go down to 20gr H4895 (not IMR), slight recoil but more costly load than 2400 or unique. I use 9.5 unique in my 30/30 with 170gr PB for my plinker. 10 gr = 1400 fps.
    Whatever!

I was able to find some published data on H4885 for 160 gr flat points. I know it’s not exactly the same, but Hodgdon’s Cowboy Action 5th Ed. shows 17.5-21 gr H4895. ADI powder shows the same load online for AR2206H which is supposed to be the same powder.

I now have 4 powders that I can use: IMR 4227, Unique, 2400, and H4895. That should give me something to play with until I can come up with other powders. Who knows, I may just decide to stick with one of these.

Boolit Master
    I realize that these are hi-Tech cast boolits but do they have a gas check?

No gas check...
    John in Idaho

Remember to crimp the boolitt, or powder might spill throughout the action if the boolitt sticks in the rifling leade/throat when for whatever reason a chambered shell is removed w/o firing.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

One more question. Will the Lee Pacesetter full length sizing die flare the case mouth enough for .311 cast, or will I need to order a case expander die?

Boolit Buddy
    One more question. Will the Lee Pacesetter full length sizing die flare the case mouth enough for .311 cast, or will I need to order a case expander die?
    You’re gonna need a separate case mouth expander die to load those MBC .311 diameter Bullets.

Before I purchased my Lyman “M” die I used this set up for a very short time.

Using the brass hammer/claw hammer setup flared case on the right, sized and expanded case (With no flare) from a two die set on the left

These are .312 diameter 115 grain Bullets I use in my 32/20 and plinking loads in my 30/30’s.

The Lyman M die is really the only way to go but my “bunkhouse” set up will work in a pinch.

.312 bullet seated.

You will get some bulged necks from time to time using Bullets this big (.312) and it’s slow as Christmas too boot so it’s best to get an “M” die ASAP.
    Last edited by ATCDoktor; 08-03-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    Agree with ATCDOCTOR; you will need an internal case expander that fits the lead boolit diameter for proper stretch fit AND a case mouth that will not scrape the coating or lead.

prs

Boolit Master
    I finally found the NOE case neck expanders
    were my salvation, along with a Redding
    profile crimp die.

Now all 7 of my 30-30's are happy !

Boolit Master
    Too bad we moved back to Ohio from
    Hazard, Kentucky; otherwise I might
    be more helpful !

Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post
    Too bad we moved back to Ohio from
    Hazard, Kentucky; otherwise I might
    be more helpful !
    Hmmm, I’m only about 25 min from Hazard.