Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Henry Single Shot recall

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I realize that some are not happy with the trigger pull on these - but I don't see any real mention that they are correcting what most complain about - it's a "safety recall" to fix something that they perceive (and I'm sure the lawyers in suits) as a potential safety hazard. I give them a lot of credit for that - and let's face it - it's not like they are the only firearm mfg. who has ever done a recall. Yeh . . it's an inconvenience but Henry has always taken care of an issue with their firearms and while I have never had to send any of my Henrys back for anything - most that I know who have had to use their CS have been more than satisfied. I was getting ready to order one in 30-30 in a month so - so I will just wait until they get a handle on things - no big deal and the sun will stilll rise tomorrow. It's been interesting over the past months to read the posts on how lousy the triggers are and how they have to be "tuned up" . . . . funny part about it is how many do't give a thought to "tuning up" their lever guns, revolvers, putting after market "go fasters" in their semi autos, etc.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    ...funny part about it is how many do't give a thought to "tuning up" their lever guns, revolvers, putting after market "go fasters" in their semi autos, etc.
    I have messed with just about every gun I have ever owned. That's the very first thing I do is take them apart, measure things, and look for ways to make them better. It's a short list of guns I leave alone, one of which is currently my only semi automatic pistol, my Sig P220. I've done at least minor smoothing of all of my revolver triggers, with the sole exception of my LCR.

Boolit Bub
    "As a sign of appreciation to its customers, Henry Repeating Arms will also perform an unrelated performance upgrade to improve the trigger pull on all firearms returned pursuant to this recall free of charge."

i'm leaving my scope rail on when i send it in

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone sent there Henry in yet? , Got my mailing label today, I’m only sending the action and butt stock, I have a custom chamber and throat for a specific cast bullet and a barrel that has been fire lapped and smoothed up, and shortened for weight reduction and better handling. I don’t want that barrel messed with or replaced so it stays at home. If they don’t or won’t do the upgrade without the barrel they can send the frame back, and I’ll use it the way it was originally.

Boolit Master
    Filled out and submitted the on-line form a couple of weeks ago. Nothing yet, no email, no label, no box, etc.

Boolit Bub
    Havent received the box they were supposed to send either. worried they get me address wrong when i said it over the phone. I had already stripped down the gun to send it, if i dont hear anything or receive a box im just going to put it back together and put it back in service

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy

Sent my info on the Monday after recall notification. Received authorization email today.

Boolit Grand Master

I decided to send mine in. It shipped yesterday, and Henry says a 2-3 week turn around.

Well golly. I'm glad now that I stopped yammerin' at 'em to do .41 Magnums and got a NEF rebored.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenpot View Post
    "As a sign of appreciation to its customers, Henry Repeating Arms will also perform an unrelated performance upgrade to improve the trigger pull on all firearms returned pursuant to this recall free of charge."

i'm leaving my scope rail on when i send it in
    Any chance the new single shot models are going to start being sold with this improved trigger pull?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    Any chance the new single shot models are going to start being sold with this improved trigger pull?
    They have been, started I think they said either June 1st or July 1st. Somewhere in there. Recent reports I've seen is that the new trigger is very acceptable at around 4-5 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post

I tuned my trigger to an absolutely beautiful, super crisp 3 pounds.

No matter how good their upgrade is, it wont be that good.

It's not about trigger pull weight - it's a safety upgrade that's about avoiding an AD (accidental discharge) that could result in a fatality.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    It's not about trigger pull weight - it's a safety upgrade that's about avoiding an AD (accidental discharge) that could result in a fatality.

Only if you walk around with the gun cocked. I sent mine in anyway, but kind of regret it.

Boolit Master
    I have both of mine right where I like them, #3 or thereabouts on the triggers, no issues, so I am going to keep mine.

Boolit Grand Master

I already got mine back. I was surprised to find that it still has a very crisp 3 pound trigger pull. Either they are that good, or they left my worked on trigger components alone. I'll take it apart later to see what exactly they did.

I sent my 77/357 in on August 24...received it back September 7. Trigger pull before recall was 7 lbs...after recall 3 1/2 lbs. I'm not sure what the did with the hammer mechanism (safety issue), but I'm confident that has been resolved, too.
    Overall, I have a great deal of respect for the great customer service I received.
    I zeroed it in today (Weaver K3-60-B scope) and confess the reduced trigger pull is a great improvement. About 1-1/2" 3-shot-group at 100 yards using cheap PPU 158gr SJHP.

Boolit Buddy

My 357 came back today so just over 2 weeks. The trigger pull is lighter, I did not measure it before it before or after but does appear to have been adjusted.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from Mike Bellm, who rechambered my .357 to Maximum stating:

Henry requires that they be able to check headspace and test fire the rifle, so of course the barrel must be included.If he has made modifications to your Henry, he will coordinate upgrades and be the point of contact with Henry. Ordinarily, manufacturers tend to not warrant guns that have been modified since leaving their hands, but has given the ok for my customers ONLY to return their guns for new upgraded parts and better trigger pull.
    * This contradicts a post earlier in this thread about only sending the butt stock and action? You can contact him @:
    Mike@357maximum.net
    hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy
    I got the same message from Mike, I don’t know where his info comes from, but all I sent was the frame and butt stock, and mine came back with the dimpled trigger guard, indicating the improvements had been made. The upgrade is definitely an improvement in trigger pull and the effort to pull the hammer back. I have fired about 30 rounds since the up grade with no misfires, including some rounds with the hard wolf primers I was getting misfires with before the upgrade.

I’m not suggesting you go against Mike’s advice, I sent mine before I even got his Email.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast