RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Henry Single Shot recall

Boolit Bub
    Finally got a box from henry on friday 10/3 to send the rifle in. I think that was 2 months ago when I asked for it. I had everything stripped off it ready to go for a while after i called them, but I figured they heard my address wrong or something and box was nowhere to be found.. so a couple weeks ago I out it back together cause I wanted to shoot it, and didn't particularly care to inquire about the recall. Now that I have the box though I'm sending it in, just for the peace of mind.

Mine is back after about 3 weeks. I had my packaging soit was pretty easy. Need to get my scope back on and check out the trigger. Overall I am happy with the rifle and Henry it self. Mine has been rechambered in .357 Maximum, and should be excellent with cast, for Whitetails. Tom

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Mine is back after about 3 weeks. I had my packaging soit was pretty easy. Need to get my scope back on and check out the trigger. Overall I am happy with the rifle and Henry it self. Mine has been rechambered in .357 Maximum, and should be excellent with cast, for Whitetails. Tom
    I'm thinking about the maxi rechamber in mine. We'll see how I feel.. just need the brass I suppose. Can I use my regular lyman 357 mag sizing die for the maximum?

Anyway, sent my rifle out today, it is now a part of the abyss.

Yes you can use your regular dies. If you seat your bullets out further, you may run out of threads on your die? I ended up getting a dedicated 357 Maximum die set. I would recommend just getting Starline Max brass, if you remember. Tom

Boolit Mold
    i talked to them yesterday. they require the complete gun.
    they are sending me two boxes. it sucks but?

Boolit Master
    Got mine back yesterday. Somehow I even got a stock upgrade??? Not sure what that was all about but I'll take it. Trigger pull is nicer but the hammer still requires some effort to cock.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by booneh View Post
    i talked to them yesterday. they require the complete gun.
    they are sending me two boxes. it sucks but?
    I got a stock box it would have come new in, packaged inside of a regular shipping box.

Got mine back yesterday. Somehow I even got a stock upgrade??? Not sure what that was all about but I'll take it. Trigger pull is nicer but the hammer still requires some effort to cock.
    nice. what is different about the new stock you got? did the replace the fore end as well?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenpot View Post

nice. what is different about the new stock you got? did the replace the fore end as well?
    Nicer looking piece of timber, as the saying goes. Has a bit of figure for the last few inches on both sides of the butt. Noticed it as soon as it came out of the box. If I get a chance I'll post a couple of pics, old and new. Just a nice little surprise.

Boolit Bub
    Got my rifle back today. I didnt luck out and get a new stock, but the trigger, hammer, and firing pin are noticeably new. The break open mechanism seems to be new as well, as it is nice and crisp as it was when brand new, and mine had worn into really smooth when pushing from right to left with my thumb. Trigger break is nice and cript, hammer pull is nowhere near as hard. I'd bet that they went with a single spring in the hammer mechanism rather than the original two, though I don;t really feel the need to take it apart to find out

Boolit Bub
    Got mine back in 10 days. Trigger is MUCH better.

Boolit Mold
    Got my 223 SS back the other day and the hammer is slightly easier to cock. The trigger is WAY better. Pre recall it was consistently 61/2 pounds. Creep, click, bang! Now it tests out at a consistent 4lbs! I got this rifle in 223 to teach my grandkids to shoot. I do not want a trigger lighter than 4 lbs. I don't know what Henry did and I don't care. No creep, no click, just clean break! Way to go Henry! The sharp edges on the hammer still hurts tender thumbs but I think a hammer spur will help. This rifle is a great teaching tool for new shooters. Bubba

Boolit Master
    I got mine back today, the trigger was much better, BUT, I noticed a large crack in the buttstock behind the triggerguard. I contacted them but haven't heard anything back yet. I've talked to a couple other guys who have also had their single shots come back with cracks in the exact same place on the bigger bore guns, mine being a .45-70.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master
    Interesting. I noted above (#46) that my rifle came back with a different stock. A bit of an upgrade in the timber quality. Maybe whatever happened to yours also happened to mine but they caught it and fixed it before returning the rifle to me. Mine is a 44 Mag and other than something like you note above I have no idea why they would have changed the stock.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    Interesting. I noted above (#46) that my rifle came back with a different stock. A bit of an upgrade in the timber quality. Maybe whatever happened to yours also happened to mine but they caught it and fixed it before returning the rifle to me. Mine is a 44 Mag and other than something like you note above I have no idea why they would have changed the stock.
    I have heard from three people that said after the recall and having their single shot fixed they had cracks in the stock of their gun, all like mine. Not sure what the heck is going on with them at Henry, but I am really curious as to why such a simple thing is leading to these problems.

From the looks of it, having a cracked stock is something that's been going on with these guns for a while now, makes me wonder what the issue is.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threa...e-shot.234753/
    Last edited by David LaPell; 10-26-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David LaPell View Post
    I got mine back today, the trigger was much better, BUT, I noticed a large crack in the buttstock behind the triggerguard. I contacted them but haven't heard anything back yet. I've talked to a couple other guys who have also had their single shots come back with cracks in the exact same place on the bigger bore guns, mine being a .45-70.

Shame, that was a nice piece of walnut. How does that 45-70 shoot? That is the caliber that is most appealing to me in that firearm.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Shame, that was a nice piece of walnut. How does that 45-70 shoot? That is the caliber that is most appealing to me in that firearm.
    It actually shoots really well. It's a little stout with Winchester and Federal 300 grain loads, but the old Remington 405 grain bullets are barely noticeable. I even got a Skinner sight for it, hoping to get it sighted in before hunting season ends but the way this ordeal is going, that's hard to say. I contacted Henry two days ago, no one got back to me so I tried to contact them again today.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David LaPell View Post
    It actually shoots really well. It's a little stout with Winchester and Federal 300 grain loads, but the old Remington 405 grain bullets are barely noticeable. I even got a Skinner sight for it, hoping to get it sighted in before hunting season ends but the way this ordeal is going, that's hard to say. I contacted Henry two days ago, no one got back to me so I tried to contact them again today.
    That 405 trapdoor loading is what I would be using. Just thinking it would be a satisfying gun to reach out on the steel with. Perhaps a gas checked boolit of soft alloy. Hope your stock issue gets resolved to your liking.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123