Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Henry Single Shot recall

Boolit Master

Henry Single Shot recall

Henry is recalling their H015 Single shots.

Says possible accidental discharge!

Maybe a fix for everyone FIXING their trigger/hammer pull????

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Henry_recall.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	265657
    Last edited by hpdrifter; 08-03-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    Do what?
    That stinks

Boolit Bub
    I havent exactly had any issues with mine, but i may be following up with this for the free trigger job. Only concern is how long they will take to do it, dont want to be without my rifle for that long. Not that i dont have others, but ya know they're like children, andlytime they leave your sight you get worried.

Boolit Bub
    Looks like they found a good deal on Grainger springs.

Boolit Master
    I have added a snippet in original post of the email I received.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Grand Master

Dang. I tuned my trigger to an absolutely beautiful, super crisp 3 pounds. No matter how good their upgrade is, it wont be that good. It has been a while since I had it apart, but if I remember right, the trigger set up is a rebounding hammer. Spring pressure rebounds the hammer, and a large notch in the hammer, very similar to a half cock, is a mechanical block to keep the hammer from hitting without the trigger pulled. Maybe the rifle falling butt first far enough can cause the trigger to pull? In that case I have a hard time believing the hammer will pull back far enough. About the only way I can think of, is if your finger slips off the hammer, and that would require the hammer to physically break through the half cock notch. I just tried it a few dozen times on my own rifle, and the notch stops the hammer every time. I think I'll wait and see how the "upgrade" goes for others first.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Dang. I tuned my trigger to an absolutely beautiful, super crisp 3 pounds. No matter how good their upgrade is, it wont be that good. It has been a while since I had it apart, but if I remember right, the trigger set up is a rebounding hammer. Spring pressure rebounds the hammer, and a large notch in the hammer, very similar to a half cock, is a mechanical block to keep the hammer from hitting without the trigger pulled. Maybe the rifle falling butt first far enough can cause the trigger to pull? In that case I have a hard time believing the hammer will pull back far enough. About the only way I can think of, is if your finger slips off the hammer, and that would require the hammer to physically break through the half cock notch. I just tried it a few dozen times on my own rifle, and the notch stops the hammer every time. I think I'll wait and see how the "upgrade" goes for others first.
    I tested it out, break it open and hold your finger over the firing pin, pull the hammer back until it's about to reach the sear and let it go. I felt the firing pin protrude onto my finger. Im still debating on whether or not I want to go through with the recall and deal with shipping it out and waiting, because anytime Im actually going to cock the hammer, there is a cartridge loaded and it is about to get fired

Boolit Grand Master

I just tried with my finger, and I can't feel anything on mine. Unless your safety notch is already toast, I don't understand how it could possibly do it. Maybe the design is such that some can just barely get by that notch? Or maybe a weak trigger return spring is the cause? Whatever the cause, it obviously effects enough of them that Henry just issued their first ever recall. I'd really hate to have to do another trigger job, but if they change the geometry to improve the trigger, maybe I can make it even better than what I have now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Is a safety upgrade going to make the trigger better? Not enough information to go on.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Is a safety upgrade going to make the trigger better? Not enough information to go on.
    They said they're be including a complimentary trigger job "upgrade" if you send it in for the recall. Another thing, I recently just finished load development for the perfect cast load for this gun, and got the scope all nice and zero'd. would kind of burn if i had to take the scope off to send it in

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I just tried with my finger, and I can't feel anything on mine. Unless your safety notch is already toast, I don't understand how it could possibly do it. Maybe the design is such that some can just barely get by that notch? Or maybe a weak trigger return spring is the cause? Whatever the cause, it obviously effects enough of them that Henry just issued their first ever recall. I'd really hate to have to do another trigger job, but if they change the geometry to improve the trigger, maybe I can make it even better than what I have now.
    I just went and tried it again, and I can definitely get a love tap from the firing pin with the trigger untouched and the hammer dropped from as back as far as it can go without catching the sear. Might try it with a primed case to see if i can get it to pop

Edit, just fyi- without touching the trigger and pushing the hammer forward to the firing pin from it's resting position, I can't get it to budge or protrude the firing pin. Only when the hammer is snapped back and released before catching the sear. I believe this is the issue they discovered and why they issued a recall about it

Boolit Master
    I've just got mine to a happy place,
    including improving the wood to metal
    fit. Just fine tuning the Skinner sights.

We shall see....

Boolit Bub
    Welp I made the call. They're sending a box in the mail for me, and gave a 7-14 day turnaround estimate on the work. Lady on the phone said they have capacity to fix up 150-200 guns per day.

Boolit Buddy
    I saw a beautiful little used Henry carbine (?) in .243 Win. at Cabelas in Hamburg, PA yesterday.

Boolit Mold
    why would you have to send the complete gun ? if they are working on the trigger it seems like they would only need the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenpot View Post
    They said they're be including a complimentary trigger job "upgrade" if you send it in for the recall. Another thing, I recently just finished load development for the perfect cast load for this gun, and got the scope all nice and zero'd. would kind of burn if i had to take the scope off to send it in
    Your scope should return to zero and require only slight adjustment, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by booneh View Post
    why would you have to send the complete gun ? if they are working on the trigger it seems like they would only need the receiver.
    Many people would be uncomfortable taking off the stock. It's easier for them to just send the long box, without asking about willingness to disassemble the gun.

ALWAYS remove Scope, mounts, custom stock or grips from any gun you send back to the factory. They dont need them to fix the gun and that way they dont get damaged or "lost".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hi Tex,

I agree. But the question was:

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hi Tex,

I agree. But the question was:
    I see what you mean. Best thing would be to call Henry and see what they require.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast