Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Sizing Dies

I had to order one of the new dies for my .44 DDPP to get the base down to .444" so it fits in the case mouth of my tight chamber .44-77.
    I use a RCBS Rockchucker and took the 1-1/4 bushing out and screwed their adapter in. It works just fine but I like the old 7/8X14 dies better.
    But I won't spend the money for their special stamp metal press they came out with.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Here are NOEs sizing dies. They work great. Seems like the price may have gone up a little, but once you have the basics, it’s inexpensive to change sizes. Make sure you get the right size punch. They also have kits now that might be a cheaper way to start if in the size you want.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...-size-die-body

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...tools/bushings

Boolit Master
    Greg, yes, I've seen those. But they are not listed in a size that is usable for what I wanted to do. I called and emailed them several times and gotten no response. I moved on and ordered and just received a new mould that will do what I need to do. I hope.

That aside, it seems strange that they require a "kit". The old Lee dies were simple as can be. Three parts, including the locking ring. The NOE photo shows 6 parts, and it is not obvious in the photo how they operate. Why are dies so complicated suddenly so complicated that they require 1.25" threading and adapters and whatever?

Maybe someday, someone will dependably make custom diameters in really simple dies, like Lee used to do.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    NOE never responded to my emails either. I wanted to size down .45 cal boolits so I could paper patch them, but the small insert I needed wasn’t available. I wondered if I could special order some, but since they never responded I’m stuck with ordering a mould if I decide to continue the project. I have used them for other projects and like the fact I can have an assortment of sizes to play around with and can downsize progressively. They aren’t that complicated, except you have to screw them in from the bottom of the press.

Boolit Master
    Basically, if you need a custom sizing die it seems that you are SOL and you need to buy a lathe and learn to make them yourself. At least that is basically my take on this. PITA.

Boolit Man
    BrentD it was a .457 for my GGB, it throws a .458 and I just wanted to make sure they were nice and round. Ran about 50 bullets thru it yesterday just to see and worked great. I've never used one before since all my casting up till now has been round ball for my muzzleloaders.
    Chris W

Boolit Master
    Yes, you got standard size. That explains it. Either they do not do non-standard sized, or they have a super secret email or phone number where you contact them for custom sizes.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I started years ago ordering the Lee sizing dies that I needed for the many calibers I shoot including the customs for the pre 1900 Ballard and Stevens calibers. Never thought they would deplete the calibers and no more customs. Having all I need gives me a nice feeling due to current changes
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    I started years ago ordering the Lee sizing dies that I needed for the many calibers I shoot including the customs for the pre 1900 Ballard and Stevens calibers. Never thought they would deplete the calibers and no more customs. Having all I need gives me a nice feeling due to current changes
    I felt quite the same until I discovered that I did not have quite "all I need" after all. Life changes and suddenly, you need a new sizer. There is a life lesson in this somewhere, I am sure.

I was able to order a custom .460” Lee push through sizing die not to long ago from their web site. I had bought three Lee push through dies for my Pedersoli Gibbbs rifle..452”,.449”,.448” I was taking boolits from a PJ 45001 mould at .458” and lubing sizing them down to .448”16:1 alloy and getting stellar accuracy out to 500m. The dies work so wellI have no need to buy a custom mould for the rifle. They do put a very fine fin on the base that is easily removed with a knife.

Boolit Master
    The last few Lee "Lube and Size Kits I bought, I simultaneously ordered longer push pins as the original length left the sized bullet in the sizing bore to be pushe clear by the following bullet, which deformed the soft noses of the following bullets.

My custom punch length is about 1,510-1.520 inches overall/
    The :ee original punch length is about 1.400 inch.

Also, I Tumble lube all my bullets before sizing to prevent galling of bullet metal to die metal.
    I learned this lesson with a lost die.

Chev. William

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12