Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox PBcastco
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accurate full size 1911 under 1K?

Boolit Master

From RIA
    Our 1911 Frames are Cast 4140 Carbon Steel and our Slides are Forged 4140 Steel.
    https://www.armscor.com/support-center/faqs/
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Springfield Armory Range Officer.
    Chuck

I’m looking for a plain jane 1911 right now. I’m S&W revolver guy although I have 52 target auto.
    I’ve owned dozens of Colts & GI issue 1911s over the years. I also sold guns for years and still dabble in repairs and trades. I’m not looking for a target pistol. I’ve shot countless clones and parts guns. Never seen one that wouldn’t do minute of gut at 25 feet, without sights. I strictly look for dependability and value. I’m willing to Spend $800-$1000 on a Colt. It will do what I need and will still be worth the price I paid down the road.

I have a mid 90's era Springfield Armory 1911 in .45acp. Looks and acts like GI Issue. Shoots well. Not that I am that fond of it. Frankly it scares me a little.

I would not be at all afraid to try a RIA 1911. I have one of their Model 200 revolvers in .38spcl and love the heck out of it.
    Nothing fancy to look at but solid as you could ask for.

I have heard very few criticisms of RIA 1911's. And the few I do see tend to be concerned with .22tcm or 9mm 1911's not full sized.
    If I ever needed/wanted another 1911 I think they'd get the nod.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Banned
    Ruger has proven that cast steel, when done properly, is an outstanding method to create frames and other firearms parts.

As for the accuracy of a 1911 style pistol, it really comes down to the fit of the barrel to the slide and the slide to the frame. When the parts lock up exactly the same way every time, the pistol will be capable of decent accuracy. The trick is making the pistol tight enough that you achieve the repeatability needed without making it too tight to reliability function.

Not that long ago, people were buying Norinco pistols just to get a low cost frame and then spending a lot of time and money to build a pistol on that frame. That actually worked fairly well.

The 1911 scene has changed considerably over the years. You can now get a very good, "out of the box" 1911 without spending a fortune on a high end name.

I once had a new Kimber that was the equal of a new Les Baer used by an acquaintance. My pistol cost less than half of what he paid for his.

One of the WORST 1911's I ever owned was a brand new Colt that came out of the Colt Custom Shop. I paid a small fortune for that pistol and it was never right. However, in contrast, one of the best 1911's I owned was a well used Colt Series 70 Lightweight Commander. Despite the aluminum frame and lots of mileage, that was an great pistol.

Of the current crop available, I think the Ruger is hard to beat in terms of value. The titanium firing pin makes the pistol safe without a need for complex firing pin safeties. The integral plunger tube is a nice feature for durability. The cast steel parts allow Ruger to keep the cost down while putting the savings into the other aspects of manufacturing. Ruger has mastered the art of investment casting and I would put their steel up against any other manufacturer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I’m looking for a plain jane 1911 right now. I’m S&W revolver guy although I have 52 target auto.
    I’ve owned dozens of Colts & GI issue 1911s over the years. I also sold guns for years and still dabble in repairs and trades. I’m not looking for a target pistol. I’ve shot countless clones and parts guns. Never seen one that wouldn’t do minute of gut at 25 feet, without sights. I strictly look for dependability and value. I’m willing to Spend $800-$1000 on a Colt. It will do what I need and will still be worth the price I paid down the road.
    Colt = poverty pony.

If I were in the market for a new 1911 at any price Colt would be far down the list.
    NRA Benefactor.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I have a mid 90's era Springfield Armory 1911 in .45acp. Looks and acts like GI Issue. Shoots well. Not that I am that fond of it. Frankly it scares me a little.

I would not be at all afraid to try a RIA 1911. I have one of their Model 200 revolvers in .38spcl and love the heck out of it.
    Nothing fancy to look at but solid as you could ask for.

I have heard very few criticisms of RIA 1911's. And the few I do see tend to be concerned with .22tcm or 9mm 1911's not full sized.
    If I ever needed/wanted another 1911 I think they'd get the nod.
    Ghosthawk: Not being critical, just curious. Why does the 1911 scare you?
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Colt = poverty pony.

If I were in the market for a new 1911 at any price Colt would be far down the list.
    Ok, what would you buy that would be dependable and would hold its value? Not even the top shelf 1911s will do that. If they are used, they won’t sell for new price, why would they? A $400 1911 used is worth what? Ruger probably next and nice gun, well made and accurate. I only ever shot one and did excellent. Used you can figure on at least 25% lose. Colt holds its value and actually has more chance to gain value.

The Colt, whether a good one or not, wont depreciate much due to the Name. They produced some stinker 1911s in the 80s that needed work from the get go but I never lost money on one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    I would look at the Springfield Range Officer.
    Right...

Got one and I love it...

Nice feel and it is so easy to use

I've never had a ftf or cycle problem with any of the reloads I put through it

Good--Luck...BCB

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The Colt, whether a good one or not, wont depreciate much due to the Name. They produced some stinker 1911s in the 80s that needed work from the get go but I never lost money on one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Yes, you are right on series 80, that’s why I want series 70. There have been a couple 9mm used shooters in $800 range, no 45 yet. I’m in no hurry if the SHF I’ve got enough other irons to fend them off. Actually selling out my hunting & target guns and only keeping family heirlooms. Buying a 1911 and a AR for social purposes.

Banned
    Rock Island M 1911 GI Standard Pistol $429.99
    https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...istol/p/p55907

Ruger SR1911 .45 Auto Centerfire Pistol $675.00 -- $879.99 depending on options
    https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...ger/of3/45-acp

$779.99
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/rug...stol-201039084

You can't go wrong with either of these!!!!

do some research and see which one suits you better , this was a quick search, you may be able to do better

maybe buy from Cabella and go to raise . com and buy gift cards at 9% off face value

Boolit Master

Ok, what would you buy that would be dependable and would hold its value? Not even the top shelf 1911s will do that. If they are used, they won’t sell for new price, why would they? A $400 1911 used is worth what? Ruger probably next and nice gun, well made and accurate. I only ever shot one and did excellent. Used you can figure on at least 25% lose. Colt holds its value and actually has more chance to gain value.
    I guess we live in different worlds.

I don't base my purchases on what they might be worth on some future date. I buy them to use. I've owed a lot of Colt 1911 pistols. Every broken 1911 part I've had has been a Colt part. Every 1911 I've had a problem with has been a Colt.

I also own/owned

Dan Wesson, both of which are worth more than I paid for them.
    Springfield Armory
    S&W, one of which is worth more than I paid even through it's been my EDC for the past decade.
    Sig Sauer I sold that one for exactly what I had paid for it.
    Rock Island Armory
    Remington it's currently worth more than I paid for it.

It must be a sad life when you rely on future value. I buy because I want it and will use it.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know about the very lowest end 1911's, but I'm fairly sure you won't loose money based on brand. They will be worth less used for a few years, but I feel rather confident that by 10 years, any brand will at least keep it's value by that time, many will appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I guess we live in different worlds.

I don't base my purchases on what they might be worth on some future date. I buy them to use.
    It must be a sad life when you rely on future value. I buy because I want it and will use it.
    I agree wholeheartedly with that. Safe queens have no place in my home.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    Ghosthawk: Not being critical, just curious. Why does the 1911 scare you?
    Tony
    Actually, he said the Springfield Armory 1911, scares him, not 1911s in general. "I would not be at all afraid to try a RIA 1911."

Boolit Master
    Just a comment on current and future values.

If you buy a gun for $500 today and in 10 years you sell it for $500 you have lost money. The value of a dollar changes over time. Few guns increase in actual value over time, especially if you buy new and have to deal with the initial loss in value.

Changes in politics and other factors can drive prices such that you can make money buying and selling guns. Buy low, sell high. Buying a gun now when prices are generally high means what you have won't be worth as much when the politics change again. What you can do is sell a few guns at the inflated prices to finance a purchase you want.

Exactly what I was trying to explain. I buy what I want and very seldom buy new. If you buy used solid top shelf firearms you will not lose money and may gain some. New stuff with price adjusted for value of the dollar really hasn’t changed much. By top shelf in hi condition and you get to use a good gun and keep value. Almost all major gun companies have changed hands at least once in last 50yrs. What survives in most cases is just the Trade Mark.

Boolit Master

Exactly what I was trying to explain. I buy what I want and very seldom buy new. If you buy used solid top shelf firearms you will not lose money and may gain some. New stuff with price adjusted for value of the dollar really hasn’t changed much. By top shelf in hi condition and you get to use a good gun and keep value. Almost all major gun companies have changed hands at least once in last 50yrs. What survives in most cases is just the Trade Mark.
    My Al Biesen Model 70 stock was purchased for $500 in 1996 and is worth around $5000 today, so yeah, high quality firearms and components can increase in value. My Mel Smart rifle built in the 90's for a couple of grand is now worth around $17k.

I wish it wasn't. It was a rifle built for Canadian moose hunting and now I'm too scared of damaging it to actually take it hunting. I want guns I can use to their full potential rather than worry about what they are worth.

Anybody want a Mel Smart prototype Pre-`64 Model 70 in .35 Whelen for $15k? I'll make you a deal!
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Ive been looking at Springfields 1911 for a while now but i still feel like there overpriced for what they are but i also am a revolver guy who wants the best accuracy available but would also like a repeater so i guess what im saying are any of these offerings capable of 3 moa or better. Cause I've yet to see one. Ok let the bashing begin
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast