Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners

Thread: Arthroscopy surgery

Boolit Master

Arthroscopy surgery

Just had a "meniscus" trimming done (or something like that) last Thursday. Knee seems to not hurt in the areas I was feeling pain for the last year but now hurts in calf for some reason. I guess this is normal? Seems after I do enough PT I'll be able to bend it like the left knee. One beef I have is with the anesthesia guys who waited for me to "wake up" to pull the tubes! Not cool! Now throat and sternum hurts. Oh well.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

Wow, I did anesthesia for 40 years and I never tubed (intubated) a patient for a arthroscopic surgery. I did always insert a LMA (laryngeal mask airway) sometimes I left the LMA until the pt woke up enough to pull it out themself, but most often I removed it when vitals and resp. were clinically OK. Everybody does it differently though, sorry about your sore throat, don't understand why your sternum hurts.

Boolit Grand Master

If you wake up and it feels like your throat has been cut , lot of throat pain , you can hardly speak and it lasts for about a week ... it's the anesthesiologist ... wrong size tube and a rough hand inserting .
    First procedure and my throat was was damaged to the point I could hardly speak .
    Two weeks later , before surgery I spoke with the anesthesiologist and told him what had happened .
    He said he would do it correctly , explained what they did wrong the first time ....
    He knew what to do and how to do it because there was no pain and no discomfort .
    The difference is someone knowing what they are doing and someone who doesn't .

Glad you made it through the procedure ... in a week your throat should be feeling much better ...
    Sternum... the guy must have put a knee on your chest to get some extra leverage ...hope it's not cracked!

Medical places scare me ... so many go in for something simple and never walk out .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 08-02-2020 at 04:47 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Forgot to mention the first words I heard when I supposedly starting waking up was "He's throwing up!" lol. I guess that would be a normal response for something gagging you. Only other surgery I had was carpel tunnel in left hand and they didn't intubate me. I'll ask on my follow up visit.

Boolit Master
    I’ve had several surgeries over the years and must have been lucky as never had any issues at all. Didn’t even feel like I had anything in my throat.
    That must have sucked.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    I’ve had several surgeries over the years and must have been lucky as never had any issues at all. Didn’t even feel like I had anything in my throat.
    That must have sucked.
    My first time to get a rookie too ... when I questioned them about the throat ... they claimed ..
    "Oh we don't do that ." and basically said I was lying about it happening ...
    NOT EVER going back to that place !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

The ankle pain maybe due to the limp or way you were putting weight on the leg before surgery. You may have changed your step using different muscles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    The ankle pain maybe due to the limp or way you were putting weight on the leg before surgery. You may have changed your step using different muscles.
    Makes sense, almost feels like that leg is shorter but I don’t think that’s the case. Did find some arthritis in knee which doesn’t help. Have no issues putting weight on it but is gonna feel weird for a while I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Arthroscopy applies a tourniquet to the top of the calf and another right above the knee. Then from those two "anchor points" they violently FORCE the knee joint and wrestle it apart so there will be sufficient space for the arthroscope. I don't know about your chest pain, but your calf will hurt for about 10 days (and possibly show the contusion) as the capillaries and nerve endings crushed during the procedure heal themselves.

I ended up with MORE damage than when I went in (a semi-circle gouge in the femur above the meniscus) from their jamming the arthroscope in there too soon while trying to rush through my surgery to get to the "athletic" girl scheduled after me. I overheard the doctor and anesthesiologist right before my surgery talking about getting past me to her and "squeezing another one in" before lunch. ********!

It's been a lot of years and countless miles since that painful experience with the other knee done a half decade later by a more genteel doctor. Both knees are currently PAIN FREE thanks in part to the "gel" that my GP shot in there last year that is still working VERY WELL. Pain Free is a great place to be.

PT is very important to strengthen your joint, which hasn't been "so loose" since your birth. It was not intended to be loose either. Your knee will get stronger as your ligaments and muscles are "tightened" in PT which is a MUST DO in order to resume full range and normal function. Go The Distance...
    Last edited by Land Owner; 08-03-2020 at 09:17 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

How's the throat ...better ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Came home awhile ago from hernia surgery I'm okay but my voice is shot,though I did find out I have a smaller than average wind pipe.
    Last edited by DocSavage; 08-03-2020 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Fat thumbs small keys

Boolit Grand Master
    I had Arthoscopic surgery seven or eight years ago to repair a torn MCL. After it was over, the doc told me "You had a little bit of arthritis in your knee, but I cleaned it out."

I think that gave me more problems than the repaired MCL.

DO NOT try to kneel down for a few weeks at least.

Far as I know they knocked me out with an IV, I didn't have any problems with that.

Also, do your physical therapy, don't slack off.

Good Luck,

Robert

Boolit Master

Good thing I didn't read what you said (Land Owner) before I went for surgery! And yes, it has been feeling "loose". My throat is back to normal. Have been doing different exercises everyday (random) to strengthen it. Most importantly, I started on that "Phentermine" pill that is supposed to reduce your appetite. That stuff works! Haven't weighed myself but I can comfortably fit in 2 sizes less in blue jeans and it's only been 2 weeks. With that said, trying to reduce the load on both my knees to get as many miles out as I can. Thanks for all your comments and advice!