RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Found an old CH Press & Measure

Found an old CH Press & Measure

Well I found an old 3 station C-H Press with accessories on-line about 70 miles from me. All I had were some phone pictures to look at. I decided to take a chance & make the drive & buy it. I'm very glad I did! I may have paid too much but this is some NICE equipment - if I can figure it all out. LOL

• C-H 3-hole press in excellent condition - zero- rust & smooooth!
    • Priming kit - still new in package
    • 9 shell holders - 6 RCBS #6 & #18 & 3 unknown brand #1 (I think fits .25-20 case)
    • C-H Powder Measure super-clean with 15 load bushings.
    • 2 Adapters for press mounting the measure. Adapters for large & small case mouths.

The powder bushings seem to be unmarked, so that's a challenge. Only a few are scuffed indicating any use. The 2 measure adapters come apart & seemed to be designed to mount in a die bay. Haven't figured that out yet. There is a hole for mounting the measure alone to the back of the press. The bottom press hole was a mystery until I found a picture on-line of a primer feeding gadget installed there. I wish I had a users guide or directions for this thing. Anyone know a model number or where I can get more info? TIA

Attachment 265614 Attachment 265615 Attachment 265616 Attachment 265617
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Banned

Where in Texas did you find it?

Banned

I'm sure Pressman will be along soon!

Boolit Bub
    Not exactly your model, but close.
    https://www.ch4d.com/Media/files/manuals/444.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Where in Texas did you find it?
    Near Austin
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Quote Originally Posted by ca_reloader View Post
    Not exactly your model, but close.
    https://www.ch4d.com/Media/files/manuals/444.pdf
    Thanks! I didn't even know C-H was still in business.

Banned
    That's the 333. I found one years ago all set up for 38 Special. I gave up on using it as it seemed to be too clumsy.
    Move a single case from station to station seems best, and use a carbide sizing die as there is little leverage with this design.

I don't think I have actual instructions form the press or the measure.

Overall, you have a great example of a vintage reloading tool.

Looks like it was hardly used ! Nice find.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    Near Austin
    I'm in Shiner!

Boolit Master

That is the first reloading press I ever owned and was bought by my Dad & Mother for my Christmas present around 1964(?). My son has it today and still reloads on it. They are definitely smooth and easy to load ammo with. I never had a problem loading with it and I not only loaded rifle and pistol ammo with it but I have swaged many 30-06 cases to 8x57 with it. I never found leverage to be a problem on anything I tried with it. You might get instructions/info from Dave at CH4D. They make a 4 station version of that press today. There was even a 1 station version back in the day. C&H equipment is as good as any made in my opinion. I still use a lot of their equipment and never had a problem with anything made by them. Your press is one of the later versions with the primer station on the front left boss, the older ones had the primer station in the back under the middle station. My experience anyway, james

Thanks for your comments. After seeing how pristine the measure is, I'm really interested in how well it works. I was contemplating a "Lil' Dandy" for my handgun loads & this measure looks like it might be just the ticket. Just wish there was some index or markings to indicate some ball-park charge weights. I guess it's going to be trial & error to figure them out.

Boolit Bub
    My guess is that they could be homemade. The bushings from CH have a small number on the one of the faces.

Boolit Master
    What a nice find it looks to be in great shape !

Boolit Grand Master

That powder measure is just like my Pacific/Bair slide powder measure. Is your sliding bar aluminum? When I got mine it was and was broken at the hole. At that point in history Buckshot was still making stuff so I sent him the broken slide and he made me one in steel. Told me it might not fit - but three sweeps of a file and it slid right in! I'm making my own inserts out of 1/2" brass rod cut in 1/2" sections. Works fine, and yes, it is trial and error to find which insert works with which powder. I keep mine in little plastic bags with a label stuck on it listing how much of which powder it provides. It is my primary pistol powder measure.

Dave Davidson may still have some CH stuff stashed away. He was 4D business and bought CH and became CH4D. It's worth giving him a call.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Pacific powder measure that looks to be the same design as your C-H. Very accurate/repeatable and easily customized bushings. A while back I was looking for a C-H "H" press, I guess I just liked the design. But I could not find one tom buy...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

OK guys here's some info for you on these EXCELLENT Tools. I have a 444 which is the 4 station version of the 333.

First these are designed to be used like a Turret Press except instead of taking the dies to the case, you take the case to the dies. Very simple operation!!!

Your Sizing Die goes in the Center Hole as it is the most supported hole on the tool. Then you prime the case by using the Priming Station which is simply a stud with a primer pocket on top screwed into a hole that lines up with the left die hole, you move the case from center to left station and insert the primer on the down stroke. Then go up into the Flaring/ Charging Die and charge the case by pushing on the powder measure, then you move the case to the Seating /Crimping Die on the right and Seat a Bullet and Crimp it on the same stroke.

Finished Round!

The 444 version has 4 holes and you use the last 2 holes to separate the Seating and Crimping functions.

These presses are kind of hard to Full Length Size Larger Rifle cartridges on, However you can Neck Size easily and load the same way as above except for flaring the case which is not necessary. You'll note that one of your dies has a funnel on the bottom and the other has a spud with a hole in it. The funnel one is for Charging Rifle Cases or like me I made an adapter for a funnel on top of that die so I can pour pre-measured charges into my rifle cases. Then Seat the Bullet, then Crimp in separate steps.

The sizes marked on the Powder Bushings are the Decimal Sizes for the drills you use to generate them. However unless you find a chart which breaks down what sizes relate to Grain Charges with different powders, it will be trial and error. Dave probably has this chart.

You didn't say what you paid for all of it but I suspect you got it for way less than it's all worth.

You can get an Instruction Manual and the Powder Bushing Chart from www.CH4D.com. under Support.

The one for the 444 will work for yours too. http://www.ch4d.com/Media/files/manuals/444.pdf

Hope this helps as these are excellent tools and you should get lots of use out of it after you figure out how to best use it for your style of Reloading. It ain't that hard!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-03-2020 at 04:45 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com