RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Range report on my Colt Trooper

Boolit Master

Range report on my Colt Trooper

Back in late June I posted that I finally gave in to those unnatural urges and bought a Colt. For those of you that missed it, it was an old model Trooper (aka poor man's Python) and here it is

Well, I've been playing with it quite a bit and I have to say I'm liking it. The trigger feel is very different, but I'm getting used to it.

Here is my best effort to date; 50 yards 1 handed single action (NRA Bullseye style) with .38 wad cutters

Now I only see 9 holes, but I think one is a double. I call my shots, nothing felt bad enough to be completely off the backer, and I heard bullet slap on all 10 shots

I don't know, I think might need a few more colt revolvers. This is BAD!

Congratulations on obtaining a fine revolver! I bought mine, exactly like yours, in 1969. And you're right about the Colt addiction......

Boolit Master
    FWIW, I have slugged a couple of old Colts. The chamber mouths seem to run about .358 and the grooves .355.

Boolit Master
    The prices for those older minty Pythons are breath taking. Going to hold onto my 5" 27-2 Smith.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Bub
    Nice gun, and you are a helluva good shot. Way to go!

Boolit Master
    I would be LUCKY to get a group like that off the bench with iron sights on a pistol , It looks like you and that trooper make a good team !

I have one of the MkIIIs in .22lr with the electrolis nickle finish. Bought it new. Nice old Colt. Always thought a .38 would be a nice companion for it but never bought one. You’ve got a good one there.

Your gun isn’t that much different from an officers model match that was used for just what you did. Now rest your gun, use a plus P 38 (or mild 357) and move to 100 yards. Less adjustments on the sights with faster ammo. We shoot 100 yard steel all day long with these. Uhm, when you tire of that, then 200 yards. Yes, 200 yards with at least a 24” steel plate. If you can shoot bullseye one handed like you did, you can easily do what I do, rested.

Go back about 27 years and my first large colt double action was an earlier version of your gun called the .357 model. I had a couple of colt single actions including a 44 special. I developed a 44 special load that shot under 2” at 25 yards. The very first cast bullet 38 special load I shot from the double action Colt beat that. I knew I had a keeper and that lead to a bit of an addiction. I avoided the MKIII and MKV for a long time but discovered they usually shoot just as well. As late as about 10 years ago, some of the holster worn examples of these could be bought for starting at $300 -$400.
    Last edited by smkummer; 08-03-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    NICE gun and GREAT SHOOTING....

Bought a 1954 TROOPER .22 from a friend a few years ago and was so impressed I bought a matching 1968 TROOPER .357 a short time later. Both are great shooters...

Bob

.22...now wears a 50s vintage set of fully checkered Target grips...

Bob

Boolit Master

Those old mid frame colts are shooters, for sure.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek