MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Delayed on Background Check- So Angry

Boolit Master

First Time Delayed on Background Check- So Angry

Went to the local gun show yesterday. Looking for a Type 99 Arisaka and anything else interesting. Found a private guy selling a Colt Police Positive.....for $390. Bore was immaculate, locked up tight, and had at least a 85% finish with a little holster wear. Even had the original box with the troopers name on it. Found a dealer who offered a $20 fee. DELAYED! Seller lives an hour away, dealer lives 1.5 hours away. Could do nothing but scratch it and walk away. So disappointed. Not only did I miss this, but I couldn't even enjoy the rest of the show as any other transfer would be futile. This system is such BS. I haven't had so much as a traffic ticket in years. There are literally 4 people with my name in the entire COUNTRY!

On the upside, this has pushed me over the edge to finally applying for my C&R license. Filling the paperwork out as we speak.

C&R can be a good way to go if your interest lies in the older, classic guns. I'm wondering, was your purchase delayed because of a name mix-up, or because there were so many checks ahead of yours? What used to be a 3-5 minute wait for the approval out here (Oregon) was a 2 week wait last month as there were over 4,000 checks waiting in line. I think they're catching up, as a friend told me he waited an hour and 15 min. a couple of days ago.

Banned

PM sent.

Banned
    Believe me my friend, I am not trying to downplay your situation. You have a right to be upset.

I am a California native. Our 10 day wait has been extended to 30 days and, in some instances, 60 days or more.

Please don't take this message wrong, I am trying to make you feel a little better. Because when someone around you says "Well, it can't get any worse" just remember that it can always get worse.

And if the Dems take over it will get exponentially worse.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    Believe me my friend, I am not trying to downplay your situation. You have a right to be upset.

I am a California native. Our 10 day wait has been extended to 30 days and, in some instances, 60 days or more.

Please don't take this message wrong, I am trying to make you feel a little better. Because when someone around you says "Well, it can't get any worse" just remember that it can always get worse.

And if the Dems take over it will get exponentially worse.

Steve in N CA
    You are right. I need to be grateful. At the same time though, what the hack are we doing? How have we let things get this screwed up? The founders are doing backflips in their graves. I do honestly appreciate your optimism though. Thank you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    C&R can be a good way to go if your interest lies in the older, classic guns. I'm wondering, was your purchase delayed because of a name mix-up, or because there were so many checks ahead of yours? What used to be a 3-5 minute wait for the approval out here (Oregon) was a 2 week wait last month as there were over 4,000 checks waiting in line. I think they're catching up, as a friend told me he waited an hour and 15 min. a couple of days ago.
    I don't know. They don't specify. The FFL holder said they do this frequently when things get backed up just to avoid processing it. I was just shocked as I have done transfers plenty of times during panic buying. Last week I did one that took over 2 hours. Luckily it was at my local hangout gun shop. I could sit there all day just for fun. We had pizza.

I lived in Houston, TX for about 20 years and I bought a gun on the way to the range at least 4 or 5 times...

Now I live in Southern California and it is mandatory 10 days. I bought a little Henry .22 a month or so back and it took 16 days. They said it was due to the volume. But I know from being in TX that they end up just calling the FBI and get an immediate answer. Meh.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master

With my name I'd celebrate if I wasn't delayed. Last one only took about an hour.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    The voice said " delayed due to the national emergency "

Never been delayed before, cleared in a week. Now delayed again a month later. Go figure.

Banned

You're probably experiencing a delay due to backlog of background checks. Right after Christmas last year I went to a LGS and found a real good price on a rifle I have been wanting to get. For the first time in my life my NICS check was delayed. So I waited I called about 4 or 5 times and kept getting the same answer, still delayed. We went to another LGS in the mean time and bought my wife a pistol, I told the salesperson about my delay. She said she calls the ISP everyday to check on status of checks and they were behind due to backlog, it happens whenever they get a overly large number of checks. After a week + I was in the first store again and decided to check at 10:45 AM and it had been approved at 10:07 or something like that. I'll bet yours is due to all of the new gun owners recently.

Boolit Master

Are ya happy with the Infringements yet?

The best advise I can give ya is to move to a Free State. Here in Texas our LTC/CHL works in lieu of a background check.

It chaps my *** that I have to have a Government permission slip to bear arms.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

My last NICS check was delayed, mainly because of the new gun purchases have risen so much the agency is swamped. In Oregon the waiting time is usually 10-20 minutes, but with the huge increase in checks, my wait was 7 days three weeks ago.

I admire one's wanting to obey all laws but I would not let a faulty back ground checking system stop me from getting a good gun/deal on a private transfer. At least I'd take possession of the gun, with a signed bill of sale, and try for an NICS OK later...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    Three day wait here as there are 4000 checks ahead of me.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a wait once it took 3 days
    apparently someone else shares my name
    this person is a convicted felon,a pedophile I believe
    but I haven't bought anything with the rush on guns we have now
    I hope yours works out
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

My last purchase. I was in que for about 2 hours. We did some errands while i was waiting.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

I think things are just backed up big time in the system. I had my first delayed check on my last purchase. With gun sales through the roof and half the help home hiding under the bed from the Covid things are slow even here in Idaho (one of the most gun friendly states in the Union) There's about a two hour wait even at the local DMV and with over half the year gone, no one seems to be able to figure out how to get boat registration figured out. I've given up and will just take the ticket if they feel that's right, I've wasted hours trying. Point of the rant? If you're needing help of any kind from a government agency, you may be out of luck in the short run! Gp

Boolit Man
    A friend of mine has been on delay for 3 weeks and counting. Myself, I found an AMT 380 backup that I had been looking for and bought it off Gunbroker. The day it arrived I went down to my FFL to get started and walked out the the AMT about 20 minutes later. Strange times we are living in, seems to be no rhyme nor reason for the delays!

I was down to the local store a few years back and he was telling some folks how the county sheriff came in and bought a gun and was on hold. The guy told the ATF it was the sheriff but it made no difference.

All that freedom is on backlog it seems.

Boolit Master

My usual wait times here in PA are between 5 and 15 minutes. I guess I'm just not accustomed to this. I can't imagine mandatory wait times. How do you even follow that with gun shows and private sales? That would really add cost and confusion to the mix.

Here in Ky there is no transfer or NICS on private sales.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast