WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training accident at Camp Pendleton

Banned

They've released the names, the oldest one was 23, just kids really.

Had to be a truly horrible last few minutes on earth for them, this is so sad.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy

Vehicle located in 325 feet of water. All servicemen recovered. RIP

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    They've released the names, the oldest one was 23, just kids really.

Had to be a truly horrible last few minutes on earth for them, this is so sad.
    Fighting is a young mans game. Most guys retire before age 40 with 20 in and that isn't old really. My condolences to their families. What they do is dangerous just given the equipment and tasks that have to be performed, always pushing to do a little more or a little better. A lot of us have been there but were lucky.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Fighting is a young mans game. Most guys retire before age 40 with 20 in and that isn't old really. My condolences to their families. What they do is dangerous just given the equipment and tasks that have to be performed, always pushing to do a little more or a little better. A lot of us have been there but were lucky.
    I was in Iraq in 2008-2009. Had some Soldiers really worked hard at a pretty arduous task and did a good job, justified an impact AAM I was putting them in for. Looking over their personal data and realized one was born after I had already been in the Army a couple of years really hit home. Still did three more and it was the right thing for my situation, but yeah, it's not for older guys.

Still, hate to see someone's life end before they really even got out of the starting gate.

Looking over their personal data and realized one was born after I had already been in the Army a couple of years really .
    When a young trooper was born after you first came in, we called that as you being 'dated'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    When a young trooper was born after you first came in, we called that as you being 'dated'.
    Every one of those kids was born after I retired. And I've outlived kids who worked with me when we were both on active duty, too. I'm feeling old and I'm only 65. Heck, a couple of my young cousins are now retired from the Army, both Iraq & Afghanistan vets, and one didn't survive his third tour in Iraq.

Boolit Grand Master
    Godspeed to each and every one of them and condolences to their families in this time of grief.

Boolit Master

I was in Iraq in 2008-2009. Had some Soldiers really worked hard at a pretty arduous task and did a good job, justified an impact AAM I was putting them in for. Looking over their personal data and realized one was born after I had already been in the Army a couple of years really hit home. Still did three more and it was the right thing for my situation, but yeah, it's not for older guys.

Still, hate to see someone's life end before they really even got out of the starting gate.

I hope you understand that my post was not to belittle their sacrifice but acknowledge that it is mostly young men who are engaged in these endeavors. I thank you for your service. I continue to be in awe of what these young men and women can accomplish under extreme circumstances.

James

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I hope you understand that my post was not to belittle their sacrifice but acknowledge that it is mostly young men who are engaged in these endeavors. I thank you for your service. I continue to be in awe of what these young men and women can accomplish under extreme circumstances.

James
    No problem at all.

The older I get, the more I come to realize, I wish we could all have the wisdom, judgement, mental toughness and emotional stability age and life experience brings combined with the physical vigor youth has. I'm still pretty capable, more than most 54 year old guys, but no way could I endure some of the things I did routinely at that age. Yes, there's a reason it's a young man's game and likely always will be.

Previously Banned Member
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    " Even General Patton was not immune. He died as a result of a traffic accident after the war in Europe had ended."

They "said" it was an accident. Patton was so plain spoken that he had many enemies. Some of whom did not have what it takes to oppose him to his face.
    funny they had the ability to fly penicilin to europe for a mere private or civilian, but not the greatest General that saved the war..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pocketace View Post
    funny they had the ability to fly penicilin to europe for a mere private or civilian, but not the greatest General that saved the war..
    Guy I used to know said someone he knew claimed that he and some of his friends/fellow soldiers intentionally ran over the "stupid general" because they didn't like him. I have no idea if this guy's claim is even reasonable, but I suppose it's possible.

Boolit Master

No problem at all.

The older I get, the more I come to realize, I wish we could all have the wisdom, judgement, mental toughness and emotional stability age and life experience brings combined with the physical vigor youth has. I'm still pretty capable, more than most 54 year old guys, but no way could I endure some of the things I did routinely at that age. Yes, there's a reason it's a young man's game and likely always will be.
    At 57, still want to be first through door! But like you said a younger mans job. Sometimes I still get to be first, just glad I belong to a good team. I love my job, plan on staying till 60, if the good Lord wills it! Then it's retired for the second time and disappearing on the bike time.

Boolit Master

Retired twice is great. But; you'll miss it after a few months of "RETIRED".
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12