Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I broke my Cub Cadet Riding Mower

Boolit Master

I broke my Cub Cadet Riding Mower

I could use some help from one of you repair experts out there.

I hit a tree with the side grab handle on my Cub Cadet mower and broke the handle off. Of course, it is some sort of a plastic molding and I need to know what product would make the strongest repair. My computer is acting up and I can't include a photo of the handle. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you all for your attention.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Banned

Pics would certainly help here!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Pics would certainly help here!
    Yeah, they would. My 'phone used to be able to send pictures right on over to my computer but I have spent the last two hours trying to get it to work. Both the computer and the 'phone are saying that they are paired up on Bluetooth but the pictures just won't transfer over. Maybe it will work on my laptop. I'll dig it out and see it it works there. Then I can send them from the laptop.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Boolit Buddy
    I post pictures from my phone using Postimage.org. It’s pretty easy (or I wouldn’t have been able to have figured it out).

Boolit Mold
    If these are the same ones in the side of mine I would guess something like gorilla glue epoxy would work.

https://postimg.cc/rRVpHSHH
    Last edited by peachhead; 08-01-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Boolit Master

Well shoot, nothing works. It appears that my bluetooth dongle May have a virus. Both computers are going down and I can just about manage to turn this phone on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200801_181046_Burst01.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	265592

By golly, I got one to upload.
    Gonna quit while I'm ahead.

I managed to get one computer to log back on before I take every thing down and reinstall an operating system.
    At least I managed to get one photo uploaded.
    As you can see I tried to mend it with some plastic epoxy. It lasted until the first time I mowed sideways on a slope, grabbed the handle, broke it off and nearly tipped the darn thing over.

All for a while. I can read this forum and slowly post from my cheapo mobile phone.
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 08-01-2020 at 10:27 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Boolit Grand Master

If the handle is the same I would cut two pieces of round stock that fits the radius well, tubing or pipe would be best, but even wood dowels would add the extra surface for a solid repair. I would use JB weld glue the ends into the deck side and clamp. lit cure then add a screw thru the joint. then glue the handle in and let cure adding 1-3 screws on each side depending on length.

Prep everything as good as possible. clean roughen surfaces fit everything together even the clamps so once glue is mixed you can work as quickly as possible

It doesn't look like it was very strong to start with.

I've got a JD D-130 and mow on a hill too.
    It doesn't have a handle, but its pretty handy to grab it under the edge of the rear fender.

If that idea would work on yours, I'd sand the rough edges off the broken spots and let it go at that.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Man
    You might post your problem over on this website. It has guys who repair lawnmowers for a living over there.

https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/

Boolit Master
    Get some kydex the stuff they make holsters with. Rough up the damaged areas well. Heat the kydex with a heat gun and form it to the existing plastic. You want to have the kydex soft and kinda floppy. Trim the kydex with a sharp knife or use a dremel tool and either epoxy in place or use aluminum pop rivets with washers for the inside where the rivets expand. Or say the heck with it and leave it be. Frank

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Myers View Post
    Yeah, they would. My 'phone used to be able to send pictures right on over to my computer but I have spent the last two hours trying to get it to work. Both the computer and the 'phone are saying that they are paired up on Bluetooth but the pictures just won't transfer over. Maybe it will work on my laptop. I'll dig it out and see it it works there. Then I can send them from the laptop.
    Send yourself an email from the phone with the pictures included. I do it all the time.

Boolit Master
    Well shoot, nothing works. It appears that my bluetooth dongle May have a virus. Both computers are going down and I can just about manage to turn this phone on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200801_181046_Burst01.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	265592

By golly, I got one to upload.
    Gonna quit while I'm ahead.

I managed to get one computer to log back on before I take every thing down and reinstall an operating system.
    At least I managed to get one photo uploaded.
    As you can see I tried to mend it with some plastic epoxy. It lasted until the first time I mowed sideways on a slope, grabbed the handle, broke it off and nearly tipped the darn thing over.

All for a while. I can read this forum and slowly post from my cheapo mobile phone.
    A lot of stuff made for cars and tools is made from ABS plastic. You can try acetone to glue it back together. It won't be any stronger than it was, so reinforcing the joints as country gent suggested is a really good idea.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by peachhead View Post
    If these are the same ones in the side of mine I would guess something like gorilla glue epoxy would work.

https://postimg.cc/rRVpHSHH
    I like the yellow one

Boolit Master

I would not trust a glue job
    Bolt on a brass handle

https://www.amazon.com/slp/brass-handle/grbrk7ootgvq43h
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master
    the only thing I use those for on mine is to use as tie downs for trailering
    but I think that is all I have ever used them for
    Is yours new?
    I have had one for a few years now and have spent more time fixing it,
    just put in my 3rd pto clutch not to mention other electrical problems,
    than using it finally just got tired of it and replaced it with a John Deere zero turn
    now I retiring it to more less used detail
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I don't really even see a need for it but the simplest solution would to be get a new one from Cub Cadet. It can't cost that much.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    A lot of stuff made for cars and tools is made from ABS plastic. You can try acetone to glue it back together. It won't be any stronger than it was, so reinforcing the joints as country gent suggested is a really good idea.
    Does that really work? If it does then that is the way to go.

It was plenty strong before. I was mowing fairly fast and got too close to a leaning oak tree. It really jolted me and the machine when it broke.

All the ideas and responses I've received are good ones but this would be the simplest, if it works.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Boolit Master
    Does that really work? If it does then that is the way to go.

It was plenty strong before. I was mowing fairly fast and got too close to a leaning oak tree. It really jolted me and the machine when it broke.

All the ideas and responses I've received are good ones but this would be the simplest, if it works.
    It will work IF it's ABS. It's essentially chemical welding. If you have a 3D printer and some ABS filament, you can feed more material in to the joint to help fill gaps. Or get one the Harbor Freight plastic welders and try that. I doubt you have the ABS filament, as if you did you'd know about ABS and acetone. They do vapor smoothing of 3D printed objects made with ABS to get better strength and a smoother surface on 3D printed parts. The 3D printing process doesn't produce parts as strong as those that are injection molded. Acetone vapor smoothing can help with that.

Banned
    I would fabricate a new handle. I don't believe you will ever achieve enough strength by re-attaching the broken section. Even with a good epoxy and some reinforcing the integrity is gone.
    There are a lot of options to replace it, including a section of tubing or even a short length of polypropylene rope.

Boolit Master

If the handle was stretched when it broke there will not be a complete contact between the broken handle and the base. I would see how the handle fits back on the base. An aftermarket handle may be stronger than gluing on the broken one. If you decide to re use the handle I would use some type of bolt or all thread to dowel berween the handle and base. I would fit the pieces up and glue the dowel into one side. I would let that dry. Then I would glue the pieces together and use some type of tape to hold the JB Weld in place. Use jb weld and tape to build up to original size and contour if a second application is needed. A few wraps of black electrical tape would not be that noticable when completed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast