Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Accurate MR 3100

Banned

Accurate MR 3100

I have some of this and it appears to burn pretty close to IMR 4831 from the data I've found. Anybody have experience with it?

Boolit Master
    I used a good bit of it when it first became available, but only with jacketed bullets. As i recall, it was very slightly slower in burn rate than H4831 as I had to use a grain or two more powder to get the same velocities I was getting with H4831. Whether the burn rate changed over the years it was available, I don't know. Check the burn rate charts. Accuracy was comparable to H4831. MR3100 would not be my first choice for a cast bullet load, but it may work well with a case full. I doubt much, if any, of a powder weight reduction would be recommended from a safety perspective.

Banned

Well, I have a good amount of it. I don't shoot a lot of jacketed bullets anymore, but do occasionally. I always found IMR4831 to be a good performer in the '06 back when I did shoot them.

Planning to get started developing a deer load for the 6.5 Creedmoor and 4831 seems to be one of the recommended powders. When I got the rifle, I did some limited loading and found a 120 grain spire point and 37-38 grains of IMR4320 shot real well in it, but I'm thinking a heavier bullet and slower powder is the way to go.

I also have that .25-06 and .270 I need to do something with.

Boolit Master
    In your situation, I'd call Western Powders (I think they distribute Accurate powders). I'll bet there is someone there that could give you the information you need.

Boolit Master
    I have about 4 lbs left in 8lb jug. Use it for jacketed bullets in .243, mostly 95 grain Partitions and 100 Sierra's, excellent accuracy in Savage 99 Featherweight .243, Under MOA. Pretty much reserve it for this rifle. It is my wife's antelope rifle, over the years it has taken 1 or 2 for over 15 years for her.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have and shoot its precursor, Accurates MRP. As you said, real close to 4831

Boolit Master
    I've always had good response from accurate when asking them about loads that are not in their load data, 180 degrees from responses from Alliant.
    the folks at western powders/accurate seem to do quite a bit of testing with cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    Use to use 44 grains and 31141 in my .300 Savage for around 2100 fps. Very deadly on deer.

Boolit Master
    I talked to Western powders about Accurate 3100 several years ago. They told me that it was still being made but the company that made it for them in the past wanted too much money for it now they would not be importing it any more. It is made in the Czech Republic and you can get it and the current load data if you look up Lovex SO71. I think it is maybe a little too slow for a 6.5 Creedmoor, then i may be wrong. It was known as pixie dust for a 25-06 and i am guessing would work well with a 270 with heavy bullets. I have a 25-06 Ruger that I could get to shoot Ok with factory ammo but when my friend was teaching me to reload worked up a 3100 load for it it was outstanding. After many shots down the barrel it got a new Shilen match and I have yet to find what it likes.

Banned

Good to know, on of the rifles I want to try this in is a .25-06.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used it in the past and have been looking for it and cannot find any one who has some that is willing to part with it. Just hoping that someone will see this and respond. Lovex makes this powder(so71) but I can't find anyone who sells it. If you find a source please let me know. I have used it in 30/06 and 243 and have had good results plus it was cheaper...at least at the time...than 4831.

I have been happy with it for 270 and 30 06 I would not use any thing different for them

3100 worked great in my 25-06 using 100 and 117gr. Sierra's. Seems like there was a warning posted before it was discontinued. I never had any problems with it. I only have enough left for 10-15 rounds. Gp

I have used it in the .243Win and .270Win, since its introduction. In those two calibers its seems to be almost identical in burn rate to IMR4831, which I would be hesitant to recommend because of the formula and manufacturer changes in the last couple of decades! Like most powders, powders can change enough from "lot" to lot to effect velocity and pressures when used near "maximum" charges. Like has been stated, AA3100 was considerably cheaper than the IMR product when it was first introduced. Accurate powders, now "Western", has recently issued several recalls of powders that were made overseas - so far, AA3100 has not been one of them.