Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 PBcastco

Thread: 32-40 cartridge size problems

32-40 cartridge size problems

I just got an 1894 Winchester with button magazine. I was trying different loads in it and came upon a sizing issue. I had some HSM factory ammo, which the bullet was way undersized, and some handloads. The handloads used HV brass from Huntingtons and .323 sized boolits I cast myself. I broke down the HSM factory and loaded with 17gr of RL7 and my cast boolit. At the range today I could not chamber any of these cartridges. They almost made it in but not quite. The HV brass rounds chambered and fired fine. When I got home I made measurements of all three and the HSM factory chambered fine as well as the HV brass handloads. The HSM loads that wouldn't chamber had dimensions the same or a little less as the other two except just below the crimp. FC die used. It was .342" at that point and the other two were .339+/- I did use a micrometer. Now that I know the discrepancy I'm at a loss to figure out how to remedy it without taking it apart. I'd rather not have to take the time and then resize and lose the primer in the process if there is a way to avoid it. Any ideas? If not I will break it down. Thanks
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Boolit Master
    Some .32/40s use .319" boolits, I think that you will have to slug your bore and get rid of unnecessary crimping dies.

Boolit Buddy
    Based on what your saying about the dimensions just below the crimp, I’d say your crimp is a little too stout and you may be bulging the brass To a point it won’t chamber at the point your measuring.

I know of no way to correct the issue other than breaking the round down and resizing.

If you don’t want to lose your primer, remove the recapping stem when resizing the brass.

I have heard that a Lee FCD will squeeze rounds into spec but that has not been my experience in using them.

I did slug the bore and it is .3233. Maybe it is different with pistol FC but it has always smoothed out the bulge on the crimp when applied. Is it different for the rifle FC?
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Boolit Master
    The Lee rifle FCD does indeed operate differently from the pistol FCD; the rifle type puts on a crimp but doesn't smooth her out. Sounds like you are waaay overdoing the crimp there.

I don't like pulling bullets so what I would try is to pull the decap pin out of the size die and see if I couldn't ease the cartridge in just far enough to iron down that bulge a couple thousandths so it would chamber. I think with the long taper of the 32/40 this just might work.

I tried the sizing die and pushed it in just a little and it worked. They all chamber now. Thank you for the help fellas.

Glad you fixed the problem, 32/40 is one of my favourites.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

Just curious, when was your rifle made? I have a '94 carbine in 32-40 made in 1930. It has a nickel steel barrel. Groove size is .3205". I usually size ny bullets .322". I use Lee dies, but have never had a chambering problem.

Boolit Buddy
    earlmck,, told ya' right ,, had to do some 40-60's wcf that way before I got my crimp set just right. Glad it worked for you,, good looking rounds.

coffee's ready Hootmix.

It was made in 1908.