Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: safe primer storage

Ammo cans for me, if I have a structure fire, I have vehicles with bug tanks of gas that will burst and engulf the space, the primers are a secondary worry.

Boolit Buddy
    The NFPA rule of 20k in personal auto and 10k in residence, what the f ?
    Were these regs written when we all drove 6000+# cads and lived in 800 ft2 apartments? Right its from areas like Boston and NYC that require the use copper DWV over PVC as used in the free-re places like fly over USA. My primers are probly a total of over 20k with SP, LP, SR, LR, +magnums and 209 and some older 151SG along with 5-7 different sizes of berdan. Add to that <15# black, <5# BP sub, >45# smokeless powders and >35k loaded ammo of all types I must be living on a bomb. Its all stored inside in a locked area with an fire extinguisher at the door. Add to that the fuel, paint, solvents and welding supplies in the shop along with the wood pile behind the shop and the wheat field my life is gone according to the safety nazi's.
    Shaune509
    Edit I have had a fire marshal inspection within the past 5 years and pasted.

Boolit Grand Master

The NFPA came about because people were doing unsafe things. It’s the same reason for building code. Everyone thinks they know what they’re doing when in reality the majority don’t. Just ask any general contractor about all the screw ups they’ve had to fix over the years due to homeowners pretending they are contractors.

Not saying the codes don’t go to far. Because they certainly do. And they’ve been corrupted by corporations that get the use of their products mandated. But I’ve seen enough bad things when it comes to construction to appreciate the codes at a certain level.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I keep the many thousand I have as "spares" in a bunch of 50cal METAL ammo cans in a spare room on the 2nd floor. Air tight, watertight so the are fresh.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The NFPA came about because people were doing unsafe things
    I very strongly suspect it was because builders and general contractors were intentionally doing unsafe but not illegal things to make a buck.

You’re right that homeowners do some whacky stuff, but then so do a lot of GCs.

Boolit Bub
    I store mine in the basement gun room in the original packaging, in a wooden cabinet I built years ago. Ammo is in a separate room in a metal locker. The humidity is low where I live and the basement stays pretty consistent in temp.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I very strongly suspect it was because builders and general contractors were intentionally doing unsafe but not illegal things to make a buck.

You’re right that homeowners do some whacky stuff, but then so do a lot of GCs.
    Absolutely on both parts. Not all General Contractors can be trusted. There are plenty that will make it look pretty but if you look under the hood every corner possible has been cut.

The previous owner of my house thought they were a contractor. They did so much shoddy work. The topper is them cutting joist back 3’ from a supporting wall and just letting them “float”. The supporting wall is three courses of brick. They knocked out a 1’x10’ section and “supported” the wall above w a staggered setup of two by lumber. It started out as a two by that was cut to fit the hole completely. As they went in they stepped the lumber down. So it started at a 2x12 and ended at a 2x4. Needless to say this didn’t support anything. The windows above dipped six inches from one side the other. I have no clue how the wall didn’t fall completely. Same for the floor that the joists “supported”. There’s a reason I paid well below market value for my house. And after opening walls I still over paid by tens of thousands.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Absolutely on both parts. Not all General Contractors can be trusted. There are plenty that will make it look pretty but if you look under the hood every corner possible has been cut.

The previous owner of my house thought they were a contractor. They did so much shoddy work. The topper is them cutting joist back 3’ from a supporting wall and just letting them “float”. The supporting wall is three courses of brick. They knocked out a 1’x10’ section and “supported” the wall above w a staggered setup of two by lumber. It started out as a two by that was cut to fit the hole completely. As they went in they stepped the lumber down. So it started at a 2x12 and ended at a 2x4. Needless to say this didn’t support anything. The windows above dipped six inches from one side the other. I have no clue how the wall didn’t fall completely. Same for the floor that the joists “supported”. There’s a reason I paid well below market value for my house. And after opening walls I still over paid by tens of thousands.
    Previous owner of mine knocked the joists out of a load bearing wall to make it “open floorplan.” Getting a new header in was no fun.

Another house the builder used the wrong joists throughout, homeowners didn’t realize it until after the statute had run. That place had sags everywhere after 10 years.

Boolit Master

A friend who was a commercial reloader had a fire in his shop. The employee died and the place where 50k recently delivered primers had been stacked was a hole in the concrete floor. Don't get your panties in a wad over dampness in regards to primers. I came back from a cruise to find water in my basement and in my wooden magazine. Powder was no problem with plastic and metal containers but approx 600 sp and 500 209 shotshell primers were under water. After drying on top of my boiler for a couple weeks I tested some and they all fired. I then loaded them keeping them segregated from my other reloads and used them up. I had 0 problems with the sp reloads and 1 or 2 "poofers" with the shotshells. Those primers were under water for 5-6 days!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12