Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: safe primer storage

Boolit Buddy

safe primer storage

Is a 50 cal. military ammo can a safe way to store primers? I do not want to create a bomb! Probably will put them in the backyard storage shed.
    I need a waterproof type storage container.

Boolit Master
    A LOT of us keep our caps safe and dry in GI ammo cans. Some folk will always say don't do it but military ammo cans are made to rupture easily to vent excessive internal pressure. Keep your primers in the original container trays and everything should be fine.

Should be fine.
    When ammo cans go off, the primers-- are like loaded ammo-- they won't go off all at once.
    Its like pop corn, a few will pop, then a progression of the others.

If that happens if there was a fire or something, the lid would spring open after the first few.
    The rest will just hop around as they pop out in the open.

When loaded ammo is in a fire, I think the primers go off first, then the powder ignites.
    Ammo cans are made to a spec. to not explode in that situation.
    It'd be pretty exciting to see one pop open, but they won't fragment like a hand grenade.

If you have serious concerns, store them in good stout plastic bags, maybe doubled, and put those in a cardboard box or plastic tub.

A fire is the big concern.
    I've been shooting, and ammo laying out got so hot, it was uncomfortable to handle. But none ever popped.
    The temp. over in the sandbox often goes over 110, and the GIs over there don't seem to have a problem with cook offs.
    Up there in the unexplored regions of North Texas--- you shouldn't either.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 07-31-2020 at 07:18 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Probably would be safe but for powder you want something that is loosely put together. If for some reason they are set off, you don’t want something that will hold together under enormous pressure. You may want to look at something like a watertight Tupperware plastic container or even heavyweight ziplock bags .

Boolit Man
    I store all the primers I can find in a brass case cover in gun powder then plugged with lead then in a ammo box with a few of those moisture wicking packets.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Grand Master

Primers still in the original packaging stored in ammo cans should be perfectly safe. Try to find a controlled environment for that ammo can. Somewhere without big temp swings.

Boolit Master
    If you wanted to be sure for insurance purposes I suggest that you look up the specific codes regarding primers and powder store for your municipality. Personally I wouldn’t store them in an outside shed unless it was in a temperature and moisture controlled environment. Storing them in an outside shed I’d be more concerned about them Corroding and going bad than I would be about them exploding or anything of such a nature.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

An ammo can works great. Most of my primers are in an MTM ammo crate like this. http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/mtm-ammunition-crate.php

I don't remember the size I got, but they fit the primer boxes perfectly. I've looked up the code for storage, but most of us are well over the limit. Limits are something like 15,000 primers. I've never counted mine, but it's way more than that. I didn't see anything specifically on storage though. Powder on the other hand did have a specific storage requirement of something like a crate made with 1" thick wood, with no sealing. I store my own powder in two places. One in cabinet made just for powder storage, I forget the brand. The other 1/2 I've got in a big plastic military surplus crate. Again powder limits were something like 20 pounds, and we are all way over that anyway.

Point being, don't fret the primers, an ammo can will work great. Powder, don't seal it, a wood crate may be the best option.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Storing them in an outside shed I’d be more concerned about them Corroding and going bad than I would be about them exploding or anything of such a nature.
    Primers are one of the most stable things. I’m not promoting it, but you can get them wet then dry them out completely and they’re still going to fire. Storing them in an outside shed isn’t going to hurt them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Primers are one of the most stable things. I’m not promoting it, but you can get them wet then dry them out completely and they’re still going to fire. Storing them in an outside shed isn’t going to hurt them.
    Agree in part. With large temp swings you may get condensation which will collect in the cardboard packaging causing the primer cups to corrode. They’d probably still go bang, but working with them would not be easy or fun. Easily avoided with a sealed container and some desiccant. I also tend to seal things for storage in the winter when the humidity is naturally much lower.

Boolit Master

I can't have more than 10,000 primers stored in my home per Washington state law. Good thing I don't have more than that...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Old refrigerator, one with magnetic closure. The insulation moderates temperature and the door will open under pressure.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I once bought a couple thousand virgin pull down 5.56 brass. They had advertised that the primers had been deactivated. Deprimed all of them and took a few out to the burn pile. Every one went bang. So dug a hole and buried them water jug and all. I had a gallon water jug all those primers went into full of water. The Lee Classic cast press has a barb you connect a hose to and I stick the hose in a water jug full of water. Dead or alive all goes into the jug. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Ammo can in temp controlled part of house.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Old refrigerator, one with magnetic closure. The insulation moderates temperature and the door will open under pressure.
    Smart idea. I have been looking for a cheap fridge/freezer for a while.

I have well over the limit and used to store them in a heated outbuilding. It was costing too much to keep the space heated so thus the need for a change. I will likely vacuum pack my primers to reduce the risk of condensation. I may also add a 40 bulb to the fridge/freezer as our temperatures can drop to well below zero.

Good post dragon on the regs.
    Last edited by dverna; 08-01-2020 at 07:28 AM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Keep them in the original boxes / package
    Ammo can storage is fine .
    Keep them inside the house if you can ... I don't like keeping them in places that get hot ...100+ degree's ... then goes down to freezing in winter. I keep mine in house inside closet , on top shelf or ammo can on floor . Powder / primers and Wide temperature swings just doesn't seem like a great situation ... especially high heat .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    If I read the linked article, thanks Dragon, putting primers in a "sealed container" is not recommended. My ammo cans are sealed, that is the point of them, to seal the ammo in.

Then, the ammo can would not be an acceptable storage device?
    Last edited by Huskerguy; 08-01-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I store my primers/percussion caps in ammo cans and have for years. I also have some stored in some of the plastic ammo cans from Harbor Freight and those containers have given no issues at all.

I don't like to keep a lot of powders in my cabinets above my loading bench so I usually may have three 1# containers of the powders I use most there - usually RD, BE and Unique. The rest are in their original containers inside of plastic "coolers" with tops that seal. Powders and primer are kept in my basement where it is cool and very little change in temperature during the change of seasons.

Boolit Master
    I had a fire, all the components were in original factory packaging including 5K boxes of primers. No explosion, everything in the shop was where it should be only burned. I think the rice, beans, flour and sugar I had stored did more damage. They warped the iron wheels of the bandsaw and melted a fridge down to the height of a stove.

About 800 Loaded, mostly full house 44Mag rounds cooked off in the car and there was not so much as a dent in the sheet metal. They were in 100 round plastic boxes. If it isn't confined it isn't a problem.

(The fire was Arson, illegal campfire, abandoned, still a real problem here right now.)
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast