MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2PBcastcoLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Which Would You Choose for a Home Defense Long Gun?

Previously Banned Member
    semi automatic. .308 bullet hornady 110 grain half jacket soft point.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    The term that applies is "Riding the Recoil." This means as soon as the Shot Breaks the Slide is unlocked and can be Racked. The slide/bolt is released for movement as soon as the hammer falls, so theoretically you can move the slide rearwards as soon as the primer is struck.
    Randy
    Most pump action shotgunners don't know this and even fewer train to shoot this way. I know of at least one guy that trained to the point that he was racking the action faster than shells could be released by the shell latches in order to chamber. He had to re-time his action bars to release consistently in time with his racking. It was quite impressive to watch.

Boolit Master
    As far as pump shotguns, most people have no idea how to shoot one. If riding the recoil means holding rearward pressure on the forend, don’t try that with a M12. It has a lock that requires foreword movement of the slide to unlock. That is seemlessly provided by the recoil when using a firm lead hand. Was shooting my WS1 M12 today on skeet doubles, 48/50 and breakpoints the same as when I use an overunder. Have no trouble breaking international skeet doubles with it either, plenty fast if you actually learn to shoot one. Cycling a quality pump gun becomes second nature when you shoot one a while. My son ran the round the very first time he shot the M12, almost forgot to cycle for the Sta 1 double but got it and has been seamless ever since. He grew up shooting skeet with an OU, but with me shooting an 870 or M12. He knew what it was supposed to look like and picked it up quickly.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    my 1100 with 16" barrel has never failed to feed or fire

Boolit Master
    most rooms in most houses are 10 to 20 feet , take some 1/2 or 3/4 plywood outside and shoot it with a 12 gauge loaded with even just a 1 1/8 oz skeet load at 15 feet
    if shot someone with that same load center mass its not likely they will ever be able to do anyone any harm.

Boolit Bub
    The Winchester 1200/1300/SXP and FN P12 all had the speed-pump feature. You maintain rearward pressure on the pump handle, and as soon as the weapon fires you use the recoil to assist you in chambering the next round. A relatively nice feature to have compared to other shotguns... As far as a long gun for home defense, they are in the safe but do have my carry pistol at hand...

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    my 1100 with 16" barrel has never failed to feed or fire
    18" maybe I hope?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Sc0 View Post
    The Winchester 1200/1300/SXP and FN P12 all had the speed-pump feature. You maintain rearward pressure on the pump handle, and as soon as the weapon fires you use the recoil to assist you in chambering the next round. A relatively nice feature to have compared to other shotguns... As far as a long gun for home defense, they are in the safe but do have my carry pistol at hand...
    I have a Win 1300 and it is a great gun. Very fast follow up shots on missed clays. (Don't ask.) My friends who own Remingtons and Mossbergs want a 1300 after shooting mine.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Mold
    M1 Carbine loaded with Winchester X30M1 110 grain HSP loads in two 15 round mags taped together like Audie Murphy did.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    For home defense, I always have my 1911 in .45ACP close at hand
    12ga. Winchester autoloader is my backup and an SKS in .7.62x39 is my last resort.
    My son has two loaded semi auto pistols in his bedroom as well as a 12ga. tactical pump shotgun and an AR15 in .223.

Very little will sneak up on our house. The Distant Early Warning system is on full alert 24/7(two noisy Labrador Retrievers).

Banned
    Been a while since we could have auto shotguns here. I used to own a Franchi Spas-12 in the day though with the semi-auto/pump selector. And a USAS-12 semi with the 20 shot drum, like a scaled up AR-15. Was never a fan of shotguns to be honest. Heavy recoil, shot column is a single projectile anyway at close quarters and I found pumping actions to be a lot less intuitive than working a lever.

Down Under ?? with so many jerks making stupid rules , no semi-auto's, pumps, tight pistol controls etc. etc. the best defence would be a large zuccini from the freezer to hit the felon over the head!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    Down Under ?? with so many jerks making stupid rules , no semi-auto's, pumps, tight pistol controls etc. etc. the best defence would be a large zuccini from the freezer to hit the felon over the head!
    It's 'zucchini'.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mickbr View Post
    Been a while since we could have auto shotguns here. I used to own a Franchi Spas-12 in the day though with the semi-auto/pump selector. And a USAS-12 semi with the 20 shot drum, like a scaled up AR-15. Was never a fan of shotguns to be honest. Heavy recoil, shot column is a single projectile anyway at close quarters and I found pumping actions to be a lot less intuitive than working a lever.
    my brother had a winchester 62 pump 22lr - it took 21 shorts in the magazine and we could empty it into a strainer post at ten yards in seven seconds flat - hold the trigger down and pump - the last little bit of action movement freed the trigger and it fired - I was told remington made a pump 44/40 that worked the same, and was a very popular piece with prison guards - when I was a teen we saw these in the magazines imported to Australia by a feller name of Naughton (I think) sold as the Remy/naughton 14and a half? that would be 1960's ish - something like that would be handy
    Alas downunder we are not allowed to defend ourselves - cop told us (at a community watch meeting) that so long as you go at em from the front and use one level of force LESS than the crim you MIGHT survive the court case so Wallace's frozen Zucchini is too close to the truth - that could get interesting to though cuz by time the fuzz arrive the thing will be thawed out. Difficult to do a demo of the crime scene with a floppy fruit.

I'd choose my Martini .577 Snider, that way the felan could see the size of the hole in semi-darkness!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Vendor Sponsor

I like the vegetable idea. Can you shoot one out of a shotgun?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I’d go with pump shotgun. For people who have hunted all there life pump shotguns are second nature. Most could use them in the dark. I’m not a believer in lights in a HD situation. Your mission is to protect yourself and family. It’s not to move around looking for the bad actor. Besides moving around house with long gun is taking a chance. To easy for bad gun to grab barrel coming through a door or around corner. No light in any circumstance, it’s your house you should be able to navigate it in the dark, bad guy will be at disadvantage. Squat and wait, let him come to you, just like stump hunting.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345