Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Would You Choose for a Home Defense Long Gun?

12 ga Shotgun for me, I prefer pump. Mine are all older Rem 870 Wingmasters.

Part of the reason I prefer shotgun is that with small shot there is a vastly decreased chance of a projectile going through both sides of a wall and killing a family member (Or uninvolved civilian) in the next room.

Lever guns are fine but a full power .30-30 round is not going to be stopped by 2 pieces of 5/8ths Sheet rock.
    When you plan for in house defense you need to take into account who could be there.
    You do not want to trigger a .30-30 round at a bad guy, miss, and end up killing your grand daughter a room over. You dont want to do that.
    So the smart man eliminates that as a possibility. He takes the .30-30 out of play. Put it in the same room as your family would retreat to. Teach your wife, son, daughter, SOMEONE to use it effectively, and super carefull.

And all this is what I figured out, YMMV.

Ohh and once they are out and running, let em go. They are no longer a threat. Shoot them and you become the bad guy. So let them go.
    Go love your family, they are scared.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    Just curious how many of you have a shotgun or any firearm within reach 24/7/365 and when you are taking a shower or cooking as examples do you do so with a firearm at hand?
    If I have my pants on or my bath robe on there is a lightweight .38 spcl or .380 in a pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    Just curious how many of you have a shotgun or any firearm within reach 24/7/365 and when you are taking a shower or cooking as examples do you do so with a firearm at hand?
    That reminds me. I need to get a Hi-Point pistol for the master shower! You know, hanging from the shower head. Empty Chamber Of course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Keep your bullets in the shampoo bottle. Wouldn’t want the church ladies or in-laws to think you're ‘odd’. Just safe.

No, don't have one in the shower. Could be done though. I have a cabinet next to the shower I could hang a pistol in a gallon zip lock bag on. Out of sight of the average person. Water proof. Yeah that would work.

I have 2 at my recliner, a whole series of shotguns and a RIA .38 special 4" barrel next to the bed.
    Basement the Yugo SKS sits with a full mag and the bolt locked open. Take less than 2 seconds to get into action. And a box just below it with 100 rounds in stripper clips.

Kitchen door has a stun gun, a crossbow, and a whole slew of knives close.

The Hipoint Carbines and a Win 94ae .30-30 are centrally located out of sight but in easy reach.
    And yes they are loaded, action locked open. Extra mags in clip on the stock.

I'm ready.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    This thread lets all the bad guys know where all our hideout guns are.

870 18.5" BBL 12 ga 00 buck
    Romans 10:9"...If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved.."

My trading feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post3092680

Boolit Master
    Since this thread is about long guns, my top pick is my Police 870 12 ga. (Wingmaster)

Next is my 16” M4 carbine, third is my 1894 Marlin in 357 (44 Mag if I had one)

But my first pick is not a long gun but rather a 4” barreled double action revolver because I do not want to end up with an intruder controlling my muzzle. They may reach for my revolver but I have a much better chance to still fire a decapacitating round because I can fend off the advance with one hand and fire point blank with the other.

But as these discussions go we gun owners start with “the gun” and that is wrong. If the incident starts with a gun we have nearly lost the engagement before it has started.

There are a lot of resources available so I will not belabor the issue but the fact that is over looked all too often is that we need rings of security. Waking up to an intruder violating your private space is a disaster about to be written.

An item you probably have not considered about lights is a remote control on a light away from your sleeping area with the control on your night stand. We have a lamp in the greater part of our house controlled by a small wireless portable controller.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 08-06-2020 at 10:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

The thing about a shotgun is low penetration for those who are saying ya need a 44mag sure go ahead butcher your family or neighbors if ya live in town while you are at it. Seen a 44 go through a 10 inch post oak then continue through the deer out of a ruger 44 auto my mom was hunting with. Great for shooting heavy game a lil to much for stopping a 180lb crackhead a .22lr could deal with. My dad shot a drunk with a .30 carbine the fella almost bled to death before he got to the hospital but the bullit continued on thru 3 2x4s and that was with kids in the house. So if ya ask me shoot em with some bird shot or small buckshot and preserve your family and neighbors cause you may not like the next ones
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Buddy

I choose the lever. Because in a hostage situation where a bad guy has latched onto a loved one, that bullet will go exactly where I put it.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Just speed reading through this thread at what hardware some of you have on stand by highlights what a sad world we live in today.
    I don't blame anyone one bit and I totally understand.
    Unfortunately in my world if I shot an intruder I would be the criminal and get locked up. So all I have is a shovel or the fire poker or just the plain old fists backed up with berserk attitude.

If it were legal here any gun is better than none.

"Lastly if someone is at the level of not knowing whether a round is in the chamber or how to manipulate the safety by muscle memory then they need to buy a lot more training ammo or invest in a quality Louisville slugger instead."

Yeah, I knew that comment was coming and wasn't disappointed. The truth of the matter is that for my household waking up out of a sound sleep in your bedroom with seconds to get your stuff in one bag isn't the time to wonder about the status of a semi-auto or for a flesh and blood being to be reacting on automatic responses. That's why we have revolvers rather than pistols, a matter of selecting the proper tool for the application.

For long gun, my Stoeger Double Barrel Cowboy coach gun will be sufficient. But I keep various 1911's about the place for home protection, loaded with home defense ammo.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    shot barreled 20 gauge pump would be my 1st choice

Boolit Master
    I live alone (with dog), nearest neighbor is over 100 yards away with a hill between our homes.
    I always have the pistol d'jour near to hand.
    1st choice is a Recce style M4 with light and red dot sight. Chamber empty, 20 round magazine in place.
    2nd choice would be my 1894 Marlin in .44 Mag with an empty chamber, loaded magazine.
    3rd choice would be a Stoeger M3K semiauto 12ga with 00 Buckshot, probably with chamber loaded, full magazine, safety on.

It is what it is.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    My choice has always been a 1917 Winchester m1912 with 20" barrel as my first line of defense backed up by an M1 Carbine . The 12 ga for inside and the rifle gets the nod if the trouble moves outdoors . Always have a handgun to back either one .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    The thing about a shotgun is low penetration for those who are saying ya need a 44mag sure go ahead butcher your family or neighbors if ya live in town while you are at it. Seen a 44 go through a 10 inch post oak then continue through the deer out of a ruger 44 auto my mom was hunting with. Great for shooting heavy game a lil to much for stopping a 180lb crackhead a .22lr could deal with. My dad shot a drunk with a .30 carbine the fella almost bled to death before he got to the hospital but the bullit continued on thru 3 2x4s and that was with kids in the house. So if ya ask me shoot em with some bird shot or small buckshot and preserve your family and neighbors cause you may not like the next ones
    It's called LIGHT loading. I load all my 44M and 357M "protection rounds" to perform similar to a 45LC in velocity and kick-back. Excellent stopping power with minimal penetration. And those are all hollow points, too!

banger

Vendor Sponsor

As far as forgetting to rack the gun after firing,, That has to be learned and drilled until it is second nature.

I tried shooting skeet with my M37 and was fine on singles but as soon as the doubles came in I was not racking the slide fast enough to make the second shot. That was about 3 years ago.

After 5 Tactical Shotgun Classes at Front Sight it is second nature now. Actually I was pretty much good to go after the third class, but that was literally after hundreds of rounds down range. I am a slow learner when it comes to Muscle Memory type things . This is a Muscle Memory type thing.

The term that applies is "Riding the Recoil." This means as soon as the Shot Breaks the Slide is unlocked and can be Racked. The slide/bolt is released for movement as soon as the hammer falls, so theoretically you can move the slide rearwards as soon as the primer is struck.

Fortunately your reflexes aren't that Quick, but still, I can have the gun ready to fire before it comes out of Recoil It takes me about 10-15 dummy rounds in practice to keep this skill alive, but it took a few hundred rounds of training to get it down pat.

If you can shoot skeet with a pump you're good to go.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-09-2020 at 05:31 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

'Nother vote for a Rem 870...same one I used for all those years in shotgun side-matches. 18" cylinder-bore w/fiber optic sights, extended mag, and #2 buckshot.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast