Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
PBcastcoInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Would You Choose for a Home Defense Long Gun?

Boolit Buddy

Which Would You Choose for a Home Defense Long Gun?

Pump Shotgun or a Lever Action Rifle such as the Winchester Model 1892?
    Thanks!
    Jim

Definitely a 12 Ga. pump shotgun. Very reliable. Wide choice of ammo to include slugs, buckshot, birdshot-- all lethal at close ranges.

Boolit Master
    20 ga pump, and/or 10/22.
    (wife operates the 10/22 quite well)

38 spl for backup.

Boolit Master
    “Home defense” unless you live in a mansion means 20 to 30 feet is long a shot as possiable, more like 10 feet in reality. 20 or 12 ga pump, no contest and no doubt.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Moderator Emeritus

Could also get an ar15 in 410. They are fun. I have a Charles Daly.

Boolit Master
    +1 on the shotgun - although my wife prefers her Taurus Judge for that, and nothing wrong with a 410 Henry lever either. For me it's not the hitting them part, it's the kids on the other side of the house part. So even a loaded down '92 in whatever caliber you choose is still going through drywall and remains deadly. Check out Lucky Gunner on YouTube. He has some really good videos (the one channel that uses actual scientific data to arrive at a conclusion) that speak to exactly your query.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Remington 870 pump 12 gauge. Helping keep my house since 1979 when I got an apartment at age 21. Empty chamber, action closed with safety on. A 20 gauge would work just as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Stevens (Savage) 320 Security 12ga pump gun with 00buck. any of my handguns to get me to the shotgun.

Boolit Buddy
    How about a lever action shotgun? Best of both worlds!

The only reason a 12 ga would be chosen over a 20 ga is if it can run the mini shells for more rounds in the tube, other wise a 20 with buck and or slugs will be the better option.

Just in case of a hostage situation, a lever-gun.

Boolit Master
    12 and 20 gauge shotguns make great home defense weapons. Here’s the exception. People tend to believe the hype about shotguns. That hype being “ a shotguns are great because you don’t have to aim them, just point and pull the trigger” They don’t bother to practice and become familiar with their weapons. They buy a shotgun load it and by put it in a corner and it sits there. Until, God forbid, it’s needed. If you decide to go with a shotgun you need to make sure that everyone in the household that has a potential or possibility to use that shotgun is proficient with the use and operation of that particular shotgun. Don’t forget if you should have to use your weapon to defend you and yours it’s probably going to occur at night where you’re possibly awoken from a sound sleep with adrenaline pumping through your system. the last thing you want is an inexperienced person grabbing a loaded shotgun, or rifle for that matter, when they’re really not that sure of how to use it. Rifles have there place But let’s not forget the tendency for a rifle to over penetrate depending on the particular round that it’s chambered for. A rifle is usually longer, harder to swing around, maneuver, and bring to aim in tight spaces such as hallways and smaller rooms. Generally in urban or suburban environments I personally don’t believe a rifle is a good choice. If you can hit your neighbors house with a rock without any effort you’re probably too close to your neighbors to be thinking about using a rifle for home defense. And as far as I’m concerned unless it’s absolutely the only weapon you have I don’t recommend a 22 lr of any sort as a home defense weapon. Although it certainly hurts to be shot with anything and the 22 is more than capable of stopping a threat bullet placement is the key. It is far more likely in the dark, in a stressful situation, awoken from a sound sleep, Statistically you are far more likely to miss the 10 ring with a 22. I am a big proponent of carrying a gun chambered for the largest round you can shoot proficiently. Those same principles I apply to a home defense weapon. If that does happen to be a 22 caliber long rifle it is certainly better than a brick. I know this doesn’t really answer your question these are only opinions, my opinions for what they’re worth. Only you can decide what’s right for you and yours in your particular situation. Whatever you decide on I would strongly suggest that you have every person that has the potential of using that weapon practice with it! For someone not willing to put the effort in I would suggest that a better option then a firearm would be a can of oven spray or wasp killer sitting on a nightstand. Most will shoot out a stream of at least 20 feet. It’s someone in the face you’re probably going to blind them cause lung burns and at the very least an awful lot of pain and discourage them from doing anything else but running and looking for water or something to flush themselves off with. Just don’t make the mistake of caring either one of those products out in public. In your own home no one can possibly say that you purchased it for anything more than its intended use. Carrying it in public he’s gonna turn you from the good guy and a victim into a bad guy real quick even if you don’t use it. Good luck with your decision and be safe
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

I have been thinking about replacing the old 12 gauge riot gun with a 20 gauge riot model not because I think it better or more effective but the 12 is getting harder to handle recoil from the chair.

A friend and I tested several shotguns gauges and configurations with several buckshot loads. At realistic in house distances the charge expanded very little in size and the wad usually hit the target close to shot charge. effective yes but not the point and shoot people think.

12 ga. Pump riot shotgun, and a ugly one too.

The bigger and uglier of a gun you point at someone---- the less chance you'll need to use it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    OP, in my opinion,only,( this is my set-up) Rem. 870 12 gauge with a 24" cylinder bore barrel, extended magazine, 7 rounds in the tube, one in the chamber, all 1 1/4 oz. #6 birdshot. Old house with wooden walls, but still not going to use buckshot in the house. Empty chamber?????????????? Not on your life, pal, i want it ready for action and the safety off!! Racking a shotgun in the dark just lets your intruder know where you are now. Defensive shotgun classes are worth the money! Just my opinion only. As long as you are armed, it will tilt the odds in your favor........ every time!

Be safe , guys. ( it's a little nuts out there right now)
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Vendor Sponsor

12Ga with 2oz goose loads is exactly what I keep here, of course that is backed up with an AR in 300AAC, a couple 1911s, and a Kahr CW45. Once the goose loads are expended, it gets to 00 buck and ends with slugs.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

Mine is a 12 Gauge shotgun.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Dang, Doug!! I LIKE IT!!!!! Hahahaha!! Off subject, i know, but, WOWW!!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Shotguns are good....................until you have to repair the walls, doors, floors, windows, and furniture that were behind the target you shot at with, in the panic of the moment, 5 or six rounds! Shotguns make a total mess of the target AND everything and around behind the target.

They make a great universal "church key" for SWAT entering a room. They just blow the hinges off the doors in three easy shots.

I have had several law enforcement friends of mine tell me to use a shotgun ONLY as a last ditch protection. Sure, thinking of guts and brains of an evil invader of your home blasted into oblivion is cool talk sitting around with your gun buddies, but when real logic kicks in, a shotgun is NOT for inside use in any way!

So if you are REEEEEELY into home repair (and lots of it), go for the shotgun. I prefer my 357MAG or 44MAG for pure accurate stopping power. And my 40 S&W XDM for quick action and dead-on targeting.

Just pray you never need any of them! I sure do!

banger

Use what you have but cycling a lever gun may be a disadvantage to a compact AR. Hard to wrestle a 2” revolver from you. The bigger the shotgun barrel, the better. There are low recoil 12 ga. shells. Have options, know where they are fast but safe from those who shouldn’t be touching guns.

Neither one, a .45 DA revolver or 1911 with a weak hand tactical light would be my choice. Can shoot it one handed while holding the light away from my body or to defend myself if surprised by an attacker. Don’t have to worry about him getting between me and the muzzle. Either the pump or lever is basically a single shot if your weak hand or arm is involved in doing something else or injured, not a good thing. And finally the .45s make a nice big hole.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 07-31-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast