Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingPBcastcoRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: battle with sweating gun summer humidity

Boolit Master

battle with sweating gun summer humidity

anyone else battle with guns sweating when taken outside in humid summer heat?

Don’t put them in a case wet, you’ll be sorry.

Boolit Master
    Usually a comfortable temp. At home is 70-76er’ and 50% humidity. When you take something outside of that environment into 90-100’ and 90% humidity and high dew point, things tend to sweat or condensation will form. Like on scopes and your spectacles. After a few mins. It’ll go away.

If the firearm is placed in direct sunlight inside your home for awhile before going outside in high humidity, condensation will not usually form on the heated metal.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    My safes are in the basement at 66-68 degrees F, 49-52% humidity, haven't had a problem yet, but I don't have the luxury of walking right outside with them. A gun case (hard case or soft, doesn't seem to matter) seems to protect them from moisture outdoors; by the time I get to the range they've warmed up.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Wipe over with Lanotec lanoline .I live in the tropics and have been using this for a while .Comes in spray cans ,I spray it on a cloth and wipe over the metal parts of the firearm .The cloth I use is pretty much soaked and I wipe my hands with it before handling any of my firearms .

Boolit Master

BigEyeBob has a good idea. As I posted elsewhere, the lanolin component of Ed's Red bore cleaner makes it also a fine moisture fighting gun wipe.

Boolit Master
    I use Ballistol on all my guns and keep a rag damp with it to wipe down any I take out and do not have sweating issues. Guns are stored in a 68 to 70 degree with 45% humidity room year round.

Boolit Buddy
    After cleaning your guns, give them a good coat of silicone spray and let it dry. Future condensation will sit on top of the surfaces and will not corrode your gun. Let the gun warm up in the sun.

Boolit Master
    Wondering about that myself, no sign of sweating in the house but put them in a case and a hot car and go to the range to find them soaked.

Leaving them in the case in the hot sun makes a mess. I can understand that they are cooler than outdoors but why is it that cased in the heat, they sweat? I suspect the case holds moisture but wouldn't heat allow air to hold more moisture, not less?

Boolit Master
    And where they will rust is inside the stocks

Banned
    I am trying to figure out what this is about. I am in the equatorial tropics, its really hot and humid, what are sweating guns??

Place a cool piece of metal out in a warm humid environment and ya will find out
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Buddy
    Gun sweat is the same principle as the condensate on a cold drink container.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Banned
    Ah I should have read all the posts.
    Last edited by mickbr; 08-10-2020 at 04:09 AM.

Boolit Master

My glass half full today! Finally, a no BS benefit for my gun safe being forced to reside in a hot and humid Florida garage next to a saltwater marsh!!! I use a 24" golden rod and small USB powered desk fan and manage to keep the humidity at 51%, but the inside temp is a constant 91 degrees. Most definitely no sweating when I pull them out.

Veering slightly off topic. Still air tends to lead to rust growth, should rifles be stored with the breach open to encourage better circulation through the barrel?
    Last edited by oley55; 08-15-2020 at 02:03 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

If the bbl is well lubed i wouldn't worry about it
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

I keep my guns in the safe with 2 Damp-Rid dehumidifiers on the floor of the safe. I live on the beach in Long Beach WA. Have never had a Humidity problem with any of my guns. I wipe them with Otis CLP wipes after cleaning before putting them back in the safe. No problems with humidity with my guns in the Gun case when headed to the range.

Boolit Master
    Ive never had any problem summer or winter.....big risk here is insects ...a tiny dropping will strip a spot of blue to white metal.My gunsafe is on the sunny side of the house ,and guns always seem warm inside.........all Ive ever used is thick oil,wiped on with a rag ....bores too ...thick oil.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If you have trouble finding lanolin, Bag Balm makes an acceptable substitute.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast